Subject: [6tisch] I-D Action: draft-ietf-6tisch-msf-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 02:22:37 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 over the TSCH mode of IEEE 802.15.4e WG of the IETF.

        Title           : 6TiSCH Minimal Scheduling Function (MSF)
        Authors         : Tengfei Chang
                          Malisa Vucinic
                          Xavier Vilajosana
                          Simon Duquennoy
                          Diego Dujovne
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6tisch-msf-00.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2018-08-21

Abstract:
   This specification defines the 6TiSCH Minimal Scheduling Function
   (MSF).  This Scheduling Function describes both the behavior of a
   node when joining the network, and how the communication schedule is
   managed in a distributed fashion.  MSF builds upon the 6TiSCH
   Operation Sublayer Protocol (6P) and the Minimal Security Framework
   for 6TiSCH.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6tisch-msf/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6tisch-msf-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-6tisch-msf-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Florian Kauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 11:06:47 +0200

Congratulations for this great result of the work of so many people over 
so many years!

It would be great if someone could briefly sketch the history of this 
draft for me since I am only reading this mailing list occasionally.
I am at least remembering the scheduling functions SF0, SF1, SFX and ASF 
(I also remember LLSF, but as far as I know there was never an IETF 
document for it).

Does any of these scheduling functions still have functionality 
exceeding MSF that would make an implementation beneficial or is 
everything in MSF now?

Greetings,
Florian

On 21.08.2018 11:22, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 6tisch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tisch
>

---

From: Thomas Watteyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 06:09:11 -0700

Florian,
This document has quite some history, indeed. SF0 became SFX, then there
was ASF. MSF contains contributions from both SFX and ASF. ASF, SF0 and SFX
will therefore not become RFCs as standalone documents. You are right,
LLSF, which was designed by Dr Tengfei Chang, hasn't been turned into an
I-D. 6P is absolutely designed to allow multiple SFs; we now have an IANA
registry to give each SF and SFID. Multiple SFs can even be run in parallel
in the same network.
Despite the fact that every other word in this e-mail is an acronym, I hope
this answers your question :-)
Thomas

-- 
________________________________________

Thomas Watteyne, PhD
Research Scientist & Innovator, Inria
Sr Networking Design Eng, Analog Devices
Founder & co-lead, UC Berkeley OpenWSN
Co-chair, IETF 6TiSCH

www.thomaswatteyne.com
________________________________________

---

From: Florian Kauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 15:54:16 +0200

That helps a lot and matches my speculation, thank you!

On 22.08.2018 15:09, Thomas Watteyne wrote:
> was ASF. MSF contains contributions from both SFX and ASF. ASF, SF0 and 
> SFX will therefore not become RFCs as standalone documents. You are 
> right, LLSF, which was designed by Dr Tengfei Chang, hasn't been turned 
> into an I-D. 6P is absolutely designed to allow multiple SFs; we now 
> have an IANA registry to give each SF and SFID. Multiple SFs can even be 
> run in parallel in the same network.
> Despite the fact that every other word in this e-mail is an acronym, I 
> hope this answers your question :-)
> Thomas
> 
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 2:07 AM Florian Kauer <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>     On 21.08.2018 11:22, [email-masked]
>     <mailto:[email-masked]> wrote:
>      >
>      > until the htmlized version and diff are available at
>     tools.ietf.org <http://tools.ietf.org>.
>      >
>      > [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> www.thomaswatteyne.com <http://www.thomaswatteyne.com>