Subject: [6tisch] Last Call: <draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-12.txt> (Minimal Security Framework for 6TiSCH) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 08:22:11 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the IPv6 over the TSCH mode of IEEE
802.15.4e WG (6tisch) to consider the following document: - 'Minimal Security
Framework for 6TiSCH'
  <draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-12.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-10-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes the minimal framework required for a new
   device, called "pledge", to securely join a 6TiSCH (IPv6 over the
   TSCH mode of IEEE 802.15.4e) network.  The framework requires that
   the pledge and the JRC (join registrar/coordinator, a central
   entity), share a symmetric key.  How this key is provisioned is out
   of scope of this document.  Through a single CoAP (Constrained
   Application Protocol) request-response exchange secured by OSCORE
   (Object Security for Constrained RESTful Environments), the pledge
   requests admission into the network and the JRC configures it with
   link-layer keying material and other parameters.  The JRC may at any
   time update the parameters through another request-response exchange
   secured by OSCORE.  This specification defines the Constrained Join
   Protocol and its CBOR (Concise Binary Object Representation) data
   structures, and configures the rest of the 6TiSCH communication stack
   for this join process to occur in a secure manner.  Additional
   security mechanisms may be added on top of this minimal framework.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.