Subject: [6tisch] Roman Danyliw's Discuss on draft-ietf-6tisch-msf-12: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 17:25:22 -0700

Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-6tisch-msf-12: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6tisch-msf/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 3.  Can the normative reference for the SAX algorithm be clarified. 
The text cites [SAX-DASFAA], but this is an informative reference (and an
academic paper with no URL).  Appendix B, appears to also describe an algorithm
but the introduction describes the text as “an example implementation SAX hash
function”.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

** Section 4.2. of RFC8480 outlines requirements for a specification of an SF. 
One of those it that the SF “SHOULD clearly state the application domain the SF
is created for.”  Is there one for this draft?

** Section 5.1.  Per “In case that a node booted or disappeared from the
network, the cell reserved at the selected parent may be kept in the schedule
forever. A clean-up mechanism MUST be provided to resolve this issue.”, is
there an implicit DDoS being described here where rogue nodes could boot up and
hold cells before the clean-up mechanism activates?

** Appendix B.  Per step #8, what does this do?  h should already have the
final value of Step 4 assigned to h.

** Editorial Nits:
-- Section 4.4. Typo. s/Neighbor Dicovery/Discovery/

-- Section 16.  Typos.  s/MSF adapts to traffics  containing packets from IP
layer/MSF adapts to traffic containing packet from the IP layer/