Subject: [6tisch] Protocol Action: '6TiSCH Minimal Scheduling Function (MSF)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-6tisch-msf-18.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 11:16:34 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- '6TiSCH Minimal Scheduling Function (MSF)'
  (draft-ietf-6tisch-msf-18.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 over the TSCH mode of IEEE 802.15.4e
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Erik Kline and Éric Vyncke.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6tisch-msf/

Technical Summary

       This specification defines the 6TiSCH Minimal Scheduling Function
       (MSF).  This Scheduling Function describes both the behavior of a
       node when joining the network, and how the communication schedule is
       managed in a distributed fashion.  MSF builds upon the 6TiSCH
       Operation Sublayer Protocol (6P) and the Minimal Security Framework
       for 6TiSCH. Other SFs may be defined in the future.

Working Group Summary

The group work on Scheduling Functions (SF) for a long time, with work such as SF0 and ASF. The best ideas were merged in this simplified version. The methid was implemented and implementation feedback helped refining the details of it.

Document Quality

    There is at least one implementation by INRIA (Tengfei Chang).
    Tengfei reported on experimentations at IETF 106.
    There's also an implementation in te Kon Tiki simulator.
    Yasuyuki Tanaka performed extensive reviews as part of his work on the simulator.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Pascal Thubert
   Responsible Area Director: Erik Kline