Subject: Re: [75attendees] [75all] More information on the IAB Plenary

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:08:00 +0200

IAB Chair wrote:
> = Network Neutrality; placing the debate in IETF context
...
> What we are trying to accomplish is a more in-depth understanding of how
> policy and technical requirement and realities interact and how IETF
> technology can be designed for, or impacted by, the tussle. 

Thanks for sending your note and for scheduling this topic.

The concern that I repeatedly find distracting about this topic is that folks
have such different meanings for it.  Often a debate uses the label without
clarifying what it refers to, so that each person is really addressing a
different topic from the next.

A service provider can be neutral (or not) with respect to:

    *  Type of technical service (email, voip, web)

    *  Type of content (invoices, personal message, porn, bulk email)

    *  Type of participant (competitor, government, pornographer, red cross)

Since these are vastly different types of net neutrality (or not,) I hope that
the presentations and discussions are careful to explain what is specifically
being referred to, before exploring technical impacts.

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net

---

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:05:09 +0200

...

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker