Subject: [75attendees] Bicycling in Stockholm

From: Monty Montgomery <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:21:54 -0400

I know that the Swedes like bicycles-- is it advisable to weather
bringing one's own bicycle via airplane, or rent a cycle once one gets
there?  Are there any webpages dealing with what a foreigner should
know to cycle about the city?

Thanks,
Monty

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:25:56 +0200 (CEST)

> know to cycle about the city?

http://goscandinavia.about.com/od/cityprofilestockholm/gr/citybikesweden.htm

Bringing your own bike seems like a big hassle, renting makes more sense.

There are plenty of people bicycling in central Stockholm, though most get 
around by foot or bus/subway.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Henrik Nordstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 00:14:38 +0200

> http://goscandinavia.about.com/od/cityprofilestockholm/gr/citybikesweden.htm

Or the direct link with correct information which doesn't seem to be
accessible from the above page...

http://www.citybikes.se/en/

This service is excellent for shorter trips within Stockholm city, any
you need to return (or reaktivate) the bicycle to one of the 80 parking
stands spread out over the city within 3 hours.

and please also note that there is a law on wearing a helmet when
cycling in Sweden even if many don't care. And just one person at a time
on the bicycle please ;-)

Regards
Henrik

---

From: Linus Nordberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 00:27:32 +0200

> on the bicycle please ;-)

For people under 15, yes. Adults may well risk their heads if they're  
so inclined.