Subject: [75attendees] Cell phones in country.

From: Doug Montgomery <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:27:02 -0400

Here is a legit question.  

I need two cell phones for the week of the IETF with local voice/txt
service (I will use the net to talk to home).

While my phone is capable, my service provider charges an arm and a leg
for service in Sweeden.

Recommendations for local solutions - i.e. a near disposable pre-paid
phone would fit the bill - are welcome.

Requirements: 1 week of utility to me - only local voice & text.

You can reply off list and I will summarize if there is interest.
dougm

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:52:35 -0400

I've a similar question, but with slightly different temporal conditions:

I need one cell phone and carrier combination, for use when in Europe, 
on the order of one week in eight, for the foreseeable future.

and

I need one cell phone and carrier combination, for use when in East 
Asia, on the order of one week in eight, for the foreseeable future.

I'll summarize to the list if there's interest (and Doug I'm interested 
in the suggestions you get)

Eric

Doug Montgomery wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 75attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/75attendees
>
>
>

---

From: Ruri Hiromi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:56:18 +0900

Can I buy SIM card like this (http://www.maxroam.com/) in the city?

I could not buy it by online... :-<

On 2009/07/16, at 2:52, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

> I need one cell phone and carrier combination, for use when in  
> Europe, on the order of one week in eight, for the foreseeable future.
>
> and
>
> I'll summarize to the list if there's interest (and Doug I'm  
> interested in the suggestions you get)
>
> Eric
>
>
> Doug Montgomery wrote:

-------------------------------
Ruri Hiromi
Intec NetCore, Inc. / Keio university
[email-masked]

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 04:37:35 +0200 (CEST)

> phone would fit the bill - are welcome.

<http://www.phonehouse.se/Mobiltelefoner/Sony-Ericsson/Sony-Ericsson-J132-med-Comviq-Kontant>

SEK299 for a phone and pre-paid SIM card, you can buy text/minutes in
50/100/250 SEK increments.

<http://www.phonehouse.se/mobilt-bredband/mobilt-bredband-comviq/comviq-surf>

3G/HSPA USB dongle and prepaid mobile broadband for 299 SEK, pay 89 SEK
for a week usage or 249SEK for a month. 1 day included in the 299 SEK.

Closest store:

<http://www.phonehouse.se/Template/TemplateWide.aspx?MenuId=139350&Id=139350&ort=Stockholm&butik=4>

Stockholm/Vasagatan 36 (2 blocks from central station, 4 blocks from IETF
venue).

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Stefan Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:24:23 +0200

Hi,

> for a week usage or 249SEK for a month. 1 day included in the 299 SEK.

That's 299 SEK (or ~ 30 EUR) for the actual hardware *and* a day of service?

Quite a deal for getting a 3G HSPA dongle, if it's yours to keep. Is it
SIM-locked in any way?

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

-- 
Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
Fondation RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de la Recherche
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg

Tel: +352 424409 1
Fax: +352 422473

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:30:27 +0200 (CEST)

> That's 299 SEK (or ~ 30 EUR) for the actual hardware *and* a day of 

Yes.

> Quite a deal for getting a 3G HSPA dongle, if it's yours to keep.

Yes.

> Is it SIM-locked in any way?

I don't know.

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:10:43 +0200

> You can reply off list and I will summarize if there is interest.

The easiest thing is that you go to a store for some cellphone company  
in Sweden (Tele2, Telia, Telenor or 3). All of them sell prepaid SIM  
cards, and insert the SIM in your GSM phone.

Closest store for for example "3" is The Phone House on Vasagatan:

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Barnhusgatan+10,+11123+Stockholm,+Sweden&daddr=Vasagatan+36,+11120+Stockholm,+Sweden&hl=en&geocode=%3BFftUiQMdR4wTAQ&sll=59.334109,18.058562&sspn=0.011426,0.032015&mra=cc&dirflg=w&ie=UTF8&z=15 

Although it is only open weekdays Weekdays: 9-18, Saturday: 11-15.

You can also take a little bit longer stroll to a "3" store that is  
open Weekdays: 10-19, Saturday: 10-17, Sunday: 12-16:

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Barnhusgatan+10,+11123+Stockholm,+Sweden&daddr=Kungsgatan+37,+11120+Stockholm,+Sweden&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=59.334109,18.058562&sspn=0.011426,0.032015&ie=UTF8&ll=59.336075,18.060275&spn=0.005712,0.016007&z=16 

    Patrik

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:12:08 +0200

> Quite a deal for getting a 3G HSPA dongle, if it's yours to keep. Is  

Btw, the 3G data service *really* works in Sweden. I have more or less  
stopped using WiFi access points after I got the dongle. Better (for  
example) with 3G data than the Internet Access on the trains in Sweden.

You should try it if you have the ability.

    Patrik

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:59:27 +0200

On 17 jul 2009, at 10.46, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> Be a bit careful though. A student in one of my classes bought a SIM  
> card that required a Swedish ID number to be activated... Ask if you  
> can activate the card without any registration procedure or any  
> requirements to have a Swedish social security number...

As far as I understand, it should be possible to buy a SIM card over  
the counter (as compared to over the web) without swedish social  
security number from all providers. At least "3" that I verified this  
with.

But, of course this is a good recommendation. They probably have  
services "with" social security number as well. Reason for this is  
that you might later (a normal customer) add services later on that is  
to be invoiced.

Thanks Olle for the detail I missed in the first round of explanations.

    Patrik

---

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:46:02 +0200

17 jul 2009 kl. 09.10 skrev Patrik Fältström:

> The easiest thing is that you go to a store for some cellphone  
> company in Sweden (Tele2, Telia, Telenor or 3). All of them sell  
> prepaid SIM cards, and insert the SIM in your GSM phone.
>

/O

---

From: Brent Chapman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:47:43 +0200

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  Be a bit careful though. A student in one of my classes bought a SIM card
>> that required a Swedish ID number to be activated... Ask if you can activate
>> the card without any registration procedure or any requirements to have a
>> Swedish social security number...
>>
>
> As far as I understand, it should be possible to buy a SIM card over the
> counter (as compared to over the web) without swedish social security number
> from all providers. At least "3" that I verified this with.
>
> But, of course this is a good recommendation. They probably have services
> "with" social security number as well. Reason for this is that you might
> later (a normal customer) add services later on that is to be invoiced.

Yesterday, I bought two of the Comviq USB/3G modems at the Phone Store
referenced earlier, and activated them without needing a social security
number; they work great.

I ran into one small problem getting them working on our Macs, but it was
easily solved.  After installing the software that comes with them (a USB
disk with the software appears when you plug in the modem), you need to go
to the System Preferences > Network control panel, choose the "HUAWEI
Mobile" device, and enter "*99#" as the phone number.  Then hit Apply,
reboot, and everything should work fine.  Until you reboot, you might get a
lot of errors about the "NetworkMonitor" process failing; just leave the
message on the screen while you set the phone number and reboot (if you hit
"Ignore", it will just keep coming back).

-Brent
-- 
Brent Chapman <[email-masked]>
Netomata, Inc. -- www.netomata.com
Making networks more cost-effective, reliable, and flexible by automating
network configuration

---

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:11:47 +0200

On 22 jul 2009, at 09:47, Brent Chapman wrote:

> Yesterday, I bought two of the Comviq USB/3G modems at the Phone  
> Store referenced earlier, and activated them without needing a  
> social security number; they work great.

Are they sim-locked?

---

From: "Mohammad Mahloujian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:23:14 +0200

Hi Olaf

Yes, almost all of the mobile broadband operators in Sweden have the
equipment lock i.e. So it is not possible to use a SIMcard from other
operator. Usually the dongle is locked for a period of 12-24 month. Since
the SW is installed from the dongle itself then I guess it could be a bit
harder to use it with other operators. But usually after the contract period
you would be able to open it by paying about 300-350 SEK to the operator.

Kind regards
Mohammad

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] För
Olaf Kolkman
Skickat: den 22 juli 2009 10:12
Till: Brent Chapman
Kopia: [email-masked]
Ämne: Re: [75attendees] Cell phones in country.

Are they sim-locked?

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 04:33:14 -0400

Olaf Kolkman allegedly wrote on 07/22/2009 4:11 AM:
>> referenced earlier, and activated them without needing a social
>> security number; they work great.
> 
> 
> Are they sim-locked?

What is the frequency here?

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:00:19 +0200

Olaf, I think you should check in the stores. The keyword in what  
Mohammad write is "almost all". I have at least bought non-locked USB  
dongles in Sweden. And passed them around between friends when they  
quickly needed access (they used their sim card).

The phones are often locked, but not always the dongles. On top of  
that, in some cases you can buy the dongle non-locked if you pay more,  
i.e. the prices depends on what "locks" (technical or just  
contractual) you accept.

The software on the dongle does not have to be used. Newer versions  
exists here and there on the net, just like any software drivers for  
any hardware.

    Patrik

---

From: "Mohammad Mahloujian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:51:50 +0200

Hi

The 3G usually called UMTS (Universal Mobile Telephony System) are either a
succesor to GPRS or CDMA (CDMA2000). In mobile broadband case you use the
mobile data based on the next generation og the GSM/GPRS. So if you carry
your CDMA2000 based equipment you may not have any operator in Sweden who
could support you. In rare case in some countriy(ies) in Europe you could
found support for CDMA2000

Kind regards
Mohammad Mahloujian

PS. if you need to digg in the Frequency information one source could be the
following link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] För
Scott Brim
Skickat: den 22 juli 2009 10:33
Till: Olaf Kolkman
Kopia: [email-masked]
Ämne: Re: [75attendees] Cell phones in country.

---

From: Peter Fassberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:01:05 +0200 (SST)

Hi!

The black Comviq dongle is SIM-locked.

But the white Tele2 dongle isn't (E169, E170, E182).  You find them at
Teknikmagasinet and a lot of other stores.

The SW is easy to reconfigure to all operators, and it's easy to use
them under most OS.

Regards

Peter

---

From: "Mohammad Mahloujian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:02:34 +0200

Hi

One more thing
The phone used in Europe are using 900 and 1800 while in US 850 and 1900 are
used so you may check if you your phone support 900/1800

Kind regards
Mohammad

---

From: Peter Fassberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:09:29 +0200 (SST)

> What is the frequency here?

3G is UMTS 2100.

All 3G subscriptions are also using GSM 900 where 2100 is not available.

There are also some GSM 1800 coverage is the biggest cities.

Regards

Peter

---

From: "Mohammad Mahloujian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:16:41 +0200

Yes, the word "almost" means if you pay full price for the dongle then is it
not locked

Yhe lock mechanis is easy, if you replce the SIMcard, then you have to use a
specific code, this code is not given to the customer during the contract
period. 

Thanks for clarification

Kind regards
Mohammad

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Patrik Fältström [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Skickat: den 22 juli 2009 11:00
Till: Mohammad Mahloujian
Kopia: 'Olaf Kolkman'; 'Brent Chapman'; [email-masked]
Ämne: Re: [75attendees] Cell phones in country.

    Patrik

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:27:44 +0200

Iljitsch van Beijnum allegedly wrote on 07/22/2009 11:20 AM:
> 3G (UMTS) is 2100 MHz and is also incompatible with AT&T and T-Mobile
> US' versions of the same despite the fact that T-Mobile US also uses
> "2100 MHz".

Thanks, that's what I was wondering.

---

From: "Mohammad Mahloujian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:34:59 +0200

Hi again

Let me give you more detailed specification from dongles (extracted from the vendor home page)

Huawei (common in Sweden)
E169 
HSDPA/UMTS（900/2100MHz） 
GSM/GPRS/EDGE（850/900/1800/1900MHz）  
Support 7.2Mbps HSDPA services 

Huawei E170
UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA 2100MHz 
GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz

SonyEricsson
HSPA 850/1900/2100 MHz
UMTS 850/1900/2100 MHz
EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
GPRS 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Kind regards

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] För Peter Fassberg
Skickat: den 22 juli 2009 11:09
Till: Scott Brim
Kopia: Olaf Kolkman; [email-masked]
Ämne: Re: [75attendees] Cell phones in country.

3G is UMTS 2100.

Regards

Peter

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:20:38 +0200

(The stupid thing is that 1800 is unavailable in the US so they  
created 1900 but that overlaps with the uplink of the 2100 band so  
then they had to use a differend uplink for the 2100 band in the  US  
so the tradition of incompatible frequencies is probably going to  
continue until we reach visible light frequencies.)

But the somewhat more expensive phones will generally support at least  
three bands and four or five isn't altogether unusual. (For instance,  
the iPhone can do GSM on 850/900/1800/1900 and UMTS on 850/1900/2100.)

Note that Verizon and Sprint phones are paper weights in Europe.

Also note that data roaming tends to be insanely expensive so turn it  
off unless you don't care. Making and receiving calls is also  
expensive but at least you can decide whether to make/take calls and  
keep them short. Data can get you in trouble very quickly.

Last but not least: if you have conditional forwarding (go to  
voicemail when busy/no answer) then you pay for the call to come to  
Sweden and then pay again for it to go back home to your voicemail box  
and then a third time to listen. So either turn off voicemail or use a  
non-conditional forward.

---

From: "Mohammad Mahloujian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:17:08 +0200

Hi Iljitsch

Thanks for the clarification about the 2100 for AT&T and T-mobile was not
compatible with the Europe..
You may also consider that the used frequency is depending on what kind of
services are in use e.g. voice or data and what technologies are provided
within the radio coverage of the cell. That means a seamless of handover
between different technologies when you are moving or the coverage is
getting stroner/weaker. That is why the 900/1800 should also be supported by
cellular phones. When using the mobile data it could use the GSM/GPRS, UMTS,
EDGE and HSPA technologies and consequently different frequencies.

Regrads
Mohammad

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 06:32:26 -0700 (PDT)

Make that 900, 1800 and 2100 (WCDMA for 3G)

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 04:03:59 -0400

BTW, if you want to use a 3G phone instead of the dongle tre provides you are
not in luck. I purchased only the SIM card and stashed it on my unlocked
G1 and waited a few hours. Neither data nor voice worked. One of the sales
people there said if i had a Google Magic  phone (which Tre sells) instead of
Google Dream it would have worked. Couldnt quiet follow that reasoning.
I would have exchanged it for the dongle but wifi seems so good in Stockholm
it seems pointless. So i returned the SIM card.

cheers,
jamal

PS: apparently on monday they will get even cheaper dongles..

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 04:42:00 -0400

I was impressed that my iPhone (3g not 3gS) worked upon arrival and  
since
without any modifications. It's probably expensive to call, but it is
nice to have it working.

Oddly, I was not able to get a GPS fix yesterday. Is the software not  
optimized for Northern latitudes ? I would be curious to hear if  
others have this problem.

Regards
Marshall

> PS: apparently on monday they will get even cheaper dongles..

Marshall Eubanks
CTO / Iformata Communications
[email-masked]

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 04:51:57 -0400

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 4:42 AM, Marshall
Eubanks<[email-masked]> wrote:
> I was impressed that my iPhone (3g not 3gS) worked upon arrival and since
> without any modifications.

If you got the SIM from them (assuming unlocked iphone)
that would add up to the reasoning that only older phones are supported.

> It's probably expensive to call, but it is
> nice to have it working.

Incoming calls are free always (even when you run out of credit). Very appealing
and my main use. For something like 100 SEK should probably satisfy a
few minutes
a day calling out. I was hoping the data part would work so i can voip
and use my
DID for incoming (then i only dont need to use any tre minutes for calling out).

cheers,
jamal

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 05:09:48 -0400

> If you got the SIM from them (assuming unlocked iphone)

I did.

> DID for incoming (then i only dont need to use any tre minutes for  

The data charge is $ 19.97 / MByte. They sent me an SMS.

Marshall

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 11:27:25 +0200

> since without any modifications. It's probably expensive to call, but
> it is nice to have it working.

same for mine, which happens to be jail-broken.

randy

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:28:14 -0700

>  without any modifications. It's probably expensive to call, but it is

Which carrier's SIM are you using?

>
>  Oddly, I was not able to get a GPS fix yesterday. Is the software 
> not optimized for Northern latitudes ? I would be curious to hear 
> if others have this problem.

My understanding is that at least for the 3G iPhone, it gets location 
either from a database of known WiFi hotspots, or from its GPS 
receiver.  From what I've read, the iPhone GPS receiver operates in 
stand-alone mode without cellular assistance data.  Hence, when 
moving the phone to a new location, it may take 20 minutes or more to 
get a GPS fix, and that's assuming no obstacles to satellite 
reception (you're outside in the open, no tall buildings, trees, 
mountains, fog, rain, etc.)

>  that would add up to the reasoning that only older phones are supported.

SIM from whom?  3?

>  www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/75attendees

>  same for mine, which happens to be jail-broken.

I was able to borrow a legally unlocked iPhone (from NZ), and ran 
over to the "3" store to get a prepaid SIM for it.  The "3" people 
said there are two kinds of pre-paid SIMs, one for data only, and one 
for voice and SMS where data is possible but very expensive.  I opted 
for the former since I have another loaner phone for voice only. 
With the "3" SIM in the iPhone, it knows the carrier is "3" but says 
it is unable to establish a data connection, that the account is not 
subscribed to data service.  The "3" guys were stumped.  (I note that 
there is a setting for APN and username/password, which are blank, 
but the "3" guys said I don't need to fill anything out there.)

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
Personal experiences affect the facts that judges choose to see.
        --Judge Sotomayor

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 11:53:16 -0400

> Which carrier's SIM are you using?

AT&T. Everything is stock.

Marshall

Marshall Eubanks

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:31:13 -0400

> The data charge is $ 19.97 / MByte. They sent me an SMS.

Which i found quiet pricey to do voice on. A 10 minute conversation
(assuming something
like a G711 codec), if my math is right, will consume about 1.5MB. The
most expensive
rate to  North America I have seen via the standard payasyougo is
about 35cents.
The 10GB cap for 99SEK was very interesting.

cheers,
jamal

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:33:41 -0400

What I don't know is what the roaming charge is. I actually am not  
using the phone for "data" (i.e., web or VOIP).

Marshall

Marshall Eubanks

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:47:43 +0200

> My understanding is that at least for the 3G iPhone, it gets  
> location either from a database of known WiFi hotspots, or from its  
> GPS receiver.  From what I've read, the iPhone GPS receiver operates  
> in stand-alone mode without cellular assistance data.  Hence, when  
> moving the phone to a new location, it may take 20 minutes or more  
> to get a GPS fix, and that's assuming no obstacles to satellite  

Normally it's assisted but obviously that only works if you have an IP  
connection. I would hope all of you are smart enough to turn off data  
roaming because it's obscenely expensive and the iPhone uses data all  
the time when it can, there's otherwise no way to shut it up.

Acquiring a position unassisted with no usable cached info it takes  
about 5 minutes with good coverage to get a lock, but you need an  
application that keeps trying that long.

If you pinpoint your location when you have IP the iPhone will load  
the assist data so further unassisted locks are much faster: 10 - 20  
seconds.

Iljitsch

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 13:47:11 -0400

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Jamal Hadi Salim<[email-masked]> wrote:

> sounds very scary. So $19.97/MB doesnt include roaming fees. I was reading
> somewhere a $10K bill from AT&T someone doing data roaming in Canada.
>

Here:
http://consumerist.com/5303124/data-roaming-dont-try-this-on-the-att-network

cheers,
jamal

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 13:41:05 -0400

> SIM from whom?  3?

None of the 3/tre SIMs worked for my phone.
Both Telenor and Telia Voice/SMS worked just fine (100SEK)

cheers,
jamal

---

From: Peter Fassberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:55:42 +0200 (SST)

> Both Telenor and Telia Voice/SMS worked just fine (100SEK)

The 3 SIM is a USIM and cant be used in i 2G/GSM phone.

3 dont have their own 2G network - in some areas they use a national
roaming agreement with Telenor to get 2G coverage.

Regards

Peter

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 15:05:47 -0400

> The 3 SIM is a USIM and cant be used in i 2G/GSM phone.

The HTC dream google phone can be configured for either 3G or 2G.
It failed on 3G for 3. It worked on 3G with both telenor and telia (I
just opted out of
data plans because they were expensive).

cheers,
jamal

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 21:54:32 +0200

> the assist data so further unassisted locks are much faster: 10 - 20  

I couldn't get a fix within a few minutes when I walked to the hotel,  
but at the Rica I connected to the wifi network, got a networked  
location fix, and then didn't have any trouble with actual GPS outside  
afterwards.