Subject: [78all] IETF 78 Network Information

From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:46:07 -0400

Here is some information about the network at IETF 78.

Terminal Room
--------------      
The Terminal Room is located in MECC@TABLE of the MECC and is open 24
hours a day starting at 4:00PM on Sunday and ending at 15:15PM on Friday.

A help desk is being provided and will be manned the following hours:

   Sunday 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
   Monday 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
   Tuesday 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
   Wednesday 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
   Thursday 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM
   Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM

The terminal room is equipped with several rows of tables with power.  A
subset of the tables has Ethernet drops.

NOC and Ticketing
-----------------

If you need to report a problem to the NOC, either visit the help desk
or send an email to [email-masked]. Issues can also be
reported via the web-based front end to the ticketing system found at:
http://noc.meeting.ietf.org (trac).
You can also use trac to review outstanding tickets before reporting an
issue or to update outstanding tickets.

Jabber
------

There is also a Jabber room available to report issues and communicate
with the NOC at [email-masked].

Network Basics
--------------

The IETF 78 network is connected to the Internet via two 1G links
provided by SURFnet, the R&E network of the Netherlands.  The entire
event uses addresses out of the 130.129.0.0/16 block for IPv4 and
2001:df8::/32 for IPv6.
      
Wireless
--------
      
An 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless network is provided. Areas specifically
covered are the meeting rooms and common areas throughout the MECC
Conference Centre.

Authenticating to the production wireless network can be done in either
of two ways:

 * using WPA/WPA2 Enterprise using the ietf.1x (2.4Ghz/5Ghz) and
   ietf-a.1x (5Ghz) SSIDs

 * using a web portal on the ietf-portal (2.4Ghz/5Ghz) and
   ietf-a-portal (5Ghz) SSIDS.

The user names for these networks are your registration ID number which
can be found on your registration confirmation email, conference
receipt, or back of your badge, and is either 6 or 10 digits long.

The password for all methods is "ietf".

Alternatively, completely anonymous access tokens are available at the
Help Desk and at the IETF Registration Desk.

Each User credential is valid for the entire meeting, and will allow up
to 5 simultaneous logins.

Experimental Networks
---------------------

The IETF supports several experimental networks to deploy our own work.
Enjoy that dogfood!

 * SSID of ietf-v6ONLY with WPA/WPA2 Enterprise and the normal
   IETF credentials provides an IPv6-only network for
   investigating IPv6 in the absence of IPv4

 * SSID of ietf-nat64 with no access credentials provides a
   demonstration of NAT64

 * SSID of eduroam with your normal eduroam credentials
   provides an instance of the eduroam project
 
Guest Room Access
-----------------

Guest room access is not being provided by the IETF for this event.

Printing
--------

There are two printers in the terminal room for your use, one black &
white and one color.

 * printer1-term -- HP CP2025dn Color Laser w/Duplexer (130.129.48.16)

 * printer2-term -- HP P2015 Black & White Laser w/Duplexer (130.129.48.17)

Instructions for Mac OS X using Bonjour auto-setup (DNS-Based Service
Discovery)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1. In the "Print" dialog, select "Add Printer..."
 2. Choose "Default" in the top-menu.
 3. You should see both printers discovered by Bonjour.
 4. Enjoy hassle-free printing.

Instructions for Mac OS X using manual configuration
----------------------------------------------------
 1. Open System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> "+" below printer list
 2. Select the "IP" icon at the top of window
 3. Select the "HP Jetdirect - Socket" from the dropdown
 4. Enter "printer2-term.meeting.ietf.org" in the Address field.  Leave
the Queue field blank.
 5. Print Using should autopopulate with "HP !LaserJet P2015 Series"
driver. If not, select it.
 6. Click Add

Instructions for Windows using Windows printing system (in Vista layout)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1. If you haven't printed on selected printer before, download and
install the driver (do not use any of "wizzard" or "automated" packages).
 2. Start -> Settings -> Printers & Faxes -> Add Printer -> Add
Networked printer (and click Next) - some waiting time
 3a. If you are hooked to wired network in terminal room, you are able
to add all printers and you are done
 3b. If you aren't hooked to wired network in terminal room, click STOP
in searching printers
 4. Click "desired printer isn't in the list"
 5. "Add printer using TCP/IP address ..."
 6. Select "Type" as "TCP/IP device" and IP adrres of desired printer
 7. Select printer driver (you may need to choose it from package you
installed in step 1) - Do NOT click "Windows Update"
 8. Click next (two or three times - depends on your windows version and
drivers installed) and wait till the printer is added

Instructions for Windows using HP printing framework
----------------------------------------------------
 1. Download HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PostScript from
[http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3673587&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=3673580&prodTypeId=18972
HP Support]
 2. Select "Dynamic instalation" and wait till all drivers are copied
(takes about 5-10 minutes)
 4. Add printers by using their IP addresses in "control pannel"
appearing when select Start -> Settings -> Printers & faxes -> "HP
Universal Printing PS" -> Properties

Services
--------
     
The following network services are provided:

 * SMTP -- smtp.daedelus.com -- SMTP relay for anything within the IETF
network

 * NTP -- ntp.meeting.ietf.org -- Time service via IPv4 and IPv6 unicast

 * DNS -- 130.129.5.6/2001:df8:0:5::6 -- Validating recursive resolver
       -- 130.129.5.7/2001:df8:0:5::7 -- Validating recursive resolver

Thanks
------
      
The Internet connectivity and various services are made possible by the
generous contributions of a number of companies and by the tireless
efforts of our volunteer team. If you see any of these people in the
halls, please be sure to thank them for all their work!

We'd like to particularly thank RIPE and Tsinghua University for there
generous donation of staff and equipment.

IETF Volunteers:

 * Bill Jensen
 * Chris Elliott
 * Geert Jan de Groot
 * Jim Martin
 * John Kemp
 * Joel Jaeggli
 * Karen O'Donoghue
 * Lucy Lynch
 * Menno Schepers
 * Michal Krsek
 * Randy Bush
 * Rob Nagy
 * Sjoerd Oostdijck
 * Wei Jiang
 * Wu Liu
 * Xiaoliang Zhao
 * Zhiyan Zheng