Subject: [78attendees] Internet in hotel rooms

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:02:02 -0700

In the hope of putting this discussion to bed (where I want to be soon).

We always try to negotiate complimentary Internet access for all hotel rooms that we
have contracts with.  We usually succeed.  The hotels in Maastricht were not willing to do this.  We will continue to negotiate for complimentary Internet in future venues.

We did indicate on the IETF web site that Internet access was not included in the room price.    We didn't realize that not also listing the price of hotel Internet access would be an issue, but we do now.  If this happens again in the future, we will include the price of the hotel Internet access on the web site.

Bob

---

From: Zhen Cao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:46:57 +0800

hope the internet access in the conference rooms will be as convenient
enough as previous.

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Bob Hinden <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 78attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/78attendees
>

---

From: "Ilya Varlashkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:45:30 +0200

> -----Original Message-----
> We did indicate on the IETF web site that Internet access was 
> not included in the room price.    We didn't realize that not 
> also listing the price of hotel Internet access would be an 
> issue, but we do now.  If this happens again in the future, 

It turns out that at least in Apart Hotel Randwyck the Internet access
is available free of charge - http://www.hotelrandwyck.nl/en/internet/

/iLya

---

From: David Kessens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 06:43:49 -0700

Bob,

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:02:02PM -0700, Bob Hinden wrote:
> 
> We did indicate on the IETF web site that Internet access was not included
> in the room price. We didn't realize that not also listing the price of
> hotel Internet access would be an issue, but we do now. If this happens
> again in the future, we will include the price of the hotel Internet access
> on the web site.

Thanks for including this information in the future.

I hate to come up with an additional request:

As already discussed quite a bit on this list, in most modern countries many
people connect to the Internet using some form of 3G connection at a much
lower rate than the hotel which also allows the user to enjoy Internet
connectivity while situated in other places than the hotel or meeting venue.

Basically, some information regarding relatively inexpensive mobile
connectivity would be even more welcome and perhaps makes the hotel tarifs
and potential bad quality of service irrelevant to begin with.

David Kessens 
PS And, yes I already have a E 2.50 per day solution in NL for all you can
   eat mobile Internet access so I don't particularly care what my hotel is
   charging.
---

---

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:47:45 -0400

On 7/23/2010 2:02 AM, Bob Hinden wrote:
> We always try to negotiate complimentary
Complementary you mean... :-)   I point this out only because of the ad 
running on US TV.

>   Internet access for all hotel rooms that we

I would suggest that we consider whether or not this is a deal breaker 
in future decisions.  We are the IETF.  We eat internet like we haven't 
eaten in days.  In Europe especially, we tend to have to scatter to many 
hotels at times distant from the conference venue which makes the "free 
internet at the conference venue" not all that useful.   For comparison 
purposes with venues that do provide internet, the cost of the rooms 
should reflect the cost of internet and not just say that its up to the 
individual.  E.g. this venue will cost each of us at least 10Eu/day more 
than the room rates would reflect.

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:10:34 -0400

Le 10-07-23 12:47, Michael StJohns a écrit :
>> have contracts with. We usually succeed. The hotels in Maastricht were
>> not willing to do this. We will continue to negotiate for
>> complimentary Internet in future venues.
>
> in future decisions.We are the IETF. We eat internet like we haven't
> eaten in days.

well, I replied to Bob privately since he wanted to put this thread to 
bed... but I need here to state my disagreement to the sentence above.

- to me, I spend ~12 hours/day in the venue during the IETF, using 
Internet. then I go for dinner (with no Internet! yes!). I think the 
Internet access (free or paid) in the room late evening is interesting 
and useful, but I can certainly live without.
- my experience, as others said, is that IETFers just take over the 
hotel networks small pipes, to the point that it is often unusable. So 
even free or paid, often, it is almost unusable anyway.
- as IOAC said, it is not easy to take over hotels networks.
- would be great if hotel networks have a full 100Mbps upstream, but 
that is not the usual case...

my summary: I really don't think that Internet free in hotel rooms is a 
deal breaker. It is in fact low priority compared to many other 
requirements.

if I'm the only one, then please discard what I'm writing.

Marc.

> In Europe especially, we tend to have to scatter to many
>> We did indicate on the IETF web site that Internet access was not
>> included in the room price. We didn't realize that not also listing
>> the price of hotel Internet access would be an issue, but we do now.
>> If this happens again in the future, we will include the price of the
>> hotel Internet access on the web site.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>
>>

-- 
=========
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley. http://www.ipv6book.ca
Stun/Turn server for VoIP NAT-FW traversal: http://numb.viagenie.ca
DTN news service: http://reeves.viagenie.ca
NAT64-DNS64 Opensource: http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca

---

From: Basil Dolmatov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 21:19:26 +0400

23.07.2010 21:10, Marc Blanchet пишет:
> my summary: I really don't think that Internet free in hotel rooms is 
> a deal breaker. It is in fact low priority compared to many other 
> requirements.
>
At least we are two with the same opinion. ;)
dol@

---

From: "Gaetan Feige (gfeige)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 21:28:46 +0200

For those interested here are some links related to a comparable solutions as mentioned below:

http://prepaid-wireless-internet-access.wetpaint.com/page/Netherlands+-+Vodafone

T Mobile is the one offering it at 2 Euros 50c : http://prepaid-wireless-internet-access.wetpaint.com/page/Netherlands+-+T-Mobile

http://prepaid-wireless-internet-access.wetpaint.com/page/Netherlands

Regards

Gaétan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of David Kessens
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 15:44
To: Bob Hinden
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [78attendees] Internet in hotel rooms

Bob,

David Kessens

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 07:00:10 -0700

> is available free of charge - http://www.hotelrandwyck.nl/en/internet/

Unfortunately it is only http/https access and not Internet access.

    Erik

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 16:07:45 +0200

> Unfortunately it is only http/https access and not Internet access.

tunnel time

randy