Subject: [78attendees] Famous Cheese Stores

From: "Fahd A. Batayneh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:31:25 +0200

Any suggestions for good cheese stores in Maastricht?

Guidelines and suggestions are welcome and much appreciated

Cheers,

-- FAB
Sent from Maastricht, Limburg, Netherlands

---

From: Nils Swart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:55:16 +0200

Looks like you're traveling via Amsterdam - the tax free shops have a good
selection of cheese vacuum packed and ready to go.

Depending on what you like, shoot for:
* Old Amsterdam
* Reypenaer 

http://www.reypenaer.com/

-Nils

On 7/27/10 5:31 PM, "Fahd A. Batayneh" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 78attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/78attendees

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:58:06 +0200

> * Old Amsterdam

puhleeze!  get a five or six year old boerenkaas

---

From: Nils Swart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:10:34 +0200

I'm sure that remark is even more helpful to Fahd if you can tell him if
it's available at Schiphol or where it's easily obtainable.

-Nils

---

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:35:03 -0400 (EDT)

> http://www.reypenaer.com/

For those lingering in Amsterdam: Reypenaer has a shop and tasting 
room on the Singel.  Highly recommended.  I like their VSOP (a little 
younger and cheaper than the XO).

But if you're not super-picky about cheese, contemplate just getting 
cheese at Albert Heijn.  They sell Old Amsterdam.

Here in Maastricht, there is a cheese shop on the drag between the 
train station and the river.  I wasn't super-impressed with the 
product, and it won't be nicely vacuum-sealed for travel.

--- Sam

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:52:02 +0200

>> puhleeze!  get a five or six year old boerenkaas

i do not know what is at schiphol this week.  and i tend to shop at the
grocery store downstairs ground-side, and only use the expensive duty
free for things not in the store.

randy

---

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:07:15 -0400 (EDT)

As far as I know, there's a market both Wednesday and Friday mornings. 
On the Markt, in town.  Some might be interested in the cultural 
experience.

http://us.holland.com/e/8517/Shopping%20in%20Maastricht.php

-- Sam

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:15:07 +0200

> puhleeze!  get a five or six year old boerenkaas

In addition to this, go into a cheese store or any decent size super market which will have a cheese counter, and get some very young cheese, such as "Amsterdamse graskaas" (Amsterdam grass cheese). This will be very soft and won't dissolve the inside of your mouth like very old cheese tends to do (actually it's a bit bland), but be sure to try it because you won't encounter this outside the Netherlands often (if at all), because it doesn't keep in its ultra-young state.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:20:52 +0200

> In addition to this, go into a cheese store or any decent size super
> market which will have a cheese counter, and get some very young
> cheese, such as "Amsterdamse graskaas" (Amsterdam grass cheese). This
> will be very soft and won't dissolve the inside of your mouth like
> very old cheese tends to do (actually it's a bit bland), but be sure
> to try it because you won't encounter this outside the Netherlands
> often (if at all), because it doesn't keep in its ultra-young state.

indeed!  good recco.

randy