Subject: [78attendees] traveling to Aachen or Luxembourg from Maastricht

From: Tim Bruijnzeels <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:20:13 +0200

Hi all,

I only just registered. I saw the email asking about this in the
archive, but can't reply to it.. In any case being Dutch I thought I'd
dig up some details for you people..

For Aachen I recommend taking bus 50 which leaves from Maastricht
Central Station. It takes about 1 hour (many stops 30km). But it's
cheaper than the train and you don't need an international ticket which
require queueing at the ticket booth... (and a change of trains in
'Heerlen').

You can plan using this web site:
http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/Default.aspx

Select 'foreign station' and 'Aachen Hbf' for Aachen.. Under means of
transport you can unselect some less desirable forms like the ferry ;)

What you will need for this bus is what the Dutch call a
'strippenkaart'. 'Strip' meaning something like 'slot' in this case.
This is the general ticket used in buses. You can pick one up with 15
'strippen' for 7,60 euro at any news agent. The trip to Aachen costs 10
of these 15 slots. You can buy a ticket in the bus, but it's at least
double the price that way.

To Luxembourg it's about 2,5 hours by car and should be pretty straight
forward. Train takes longer: 3,5 hours, and requires changing in Liege.

International train tickets can be booked through this web site:
http://onlineboeken.nshispeed.nl/microtips/display

The UK flag is your friend. It should be possible to just go to the
central station and get a ticket there though. It may interest some of
you that there is a direct service to Brussels that takes just under 2
hours.

When travelling by train within the Netherlands, and Belgium as well as
far as I know, you do not need reservations (but I think reservations
are more commonly required in Germany). 2nd class is usually fine but
can be crowded at times. 1st class pretty much guarantees you can sit
and it's a bit more quiet and comfy..

Trains to Amsterdam / Schiphol airport take about 2,5 hours. For train
travel destinations within the Netherlands use this web site:
http://www.ns.nl/cs/Satellite/travellers

Again, you can pick up a ticket at the station. National tickets can be
bought at the machines, they support English, but I think they can be
picky about not supporting credit cards, and they may try trick you into
express (1st class) tickets -- which may not be what you want
(especially the ones you find at schiphol airport luggage pickup going
to amsterdam central). Buying a ticket at the ticket booth is possible
as well, but it is a little more expensive than using the machines.

Cheers
Tim

---

From: "Fahd A. Batayneh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:59:59 +0300

Thanks Tim, the info was helpful

Cheers,

-- FAB
Sent from Amman, Jordan

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Tim Bruijnzeels <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 78attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/78attendees
>