Subject: [78attendees] Alternative routes to London

From: Tom Haynes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:06:35 -0500

Seems the Eurostar is all booked tomorrow for the Maastricht to 
Brussels to London.

I am with my family, so that plays a factor. I'm not opposed to a ferry, 
just trying
to see if anyone has a good idea.

Thanks,
Tom

---

From: Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:56:29 +0100

Try Stena Line Hook of Holland (Hoek van Holland) to Harwich route.
http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/routes/harwich-holland/

They have space on the 14.30 (gets in to harwich 20.00) sailing tomorrow 
(but not overnight). Same on Friday.

Price indication: 2 adults + 2children with seats on the daytime sailing 
138GBP.(say 160 euro).

You can get a train to the ferry terminal and there are trains from 
Harwich (Parkeston Quay ferry terminal) to London (Liverpool St) 
direct.  Would probably be a decent trip tomorrow.

BTW  I just accessed the Eurostar site and they *do* claim to have 
availability on Thursday, Friday and Saturday for 2 + 2..  Mind you, I 
have come across this problem before.. you get all the way to the end 
and it says there aren't actually any seats really even though it said 
there were earlier.  If you do go this route, the Eurostar tickets are 
good from ANY station in Belgium not just Brussels-Midi EXCEPT om Thalys 
(TGV) or ICE trains - about half the trains from Liege are IC (NOT the 
ame as ICE) rather than Thalys.  This means you only have to pay for 
tickets from Maastricht to Liege Guillemins (a pittance).  You can 
either buy them at the station (sounds like using cash is easiest - 
should be less than 20 euros for the family) or online at 
http://www.nshispeed.nl/ provided you can print the tickets yourself.  
Seat reservations are not an issue.  Remember to leave at least 45 mins 
for transfers in Brussels (you have to check in 30 mins beforehand).   
Use http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml to plan your journey.

Also there is an obscure alternative maastricht -> brussels midi -> 
Lille Europe (TGV toweards Paris not eurostar) -> London (eurostar from 
paris)

Fallback: Train to Dunkerque, ferry to Dover, train to London

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Elwyn

Tom Haynes wrote:
> I am with my family, so that plays a factor. I'm not opposed to a 
> ferry, just trying
> _______________________________________________
> 78attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/78attendees

---

From: bo zhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:04:54 +0200

The train service from Harwich to Liverpool St. is inconvenient in my mind.

Regards,

Bo

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Elwyn Davies <[email-masked]> wrote:

> You can get a train to the ferry terminal and there are trains from Harwich
> (Parkeston Quay ferry terminal) to London (Liverpool St) direct.  Would
> probably be a decent trip tomorrow.
>
> availability on Thursday, Friday and Saturday for 2 + 2..  Mind you, I have
> come across this problem before.. you get all the way to the end and it says
> there aren't actually any seats really even though it said there were
> earlier.  If you do go this route, the Eurostar tickets are good from ANY
> station in Belgium not just Brussels-Midi EXCEPT om Thalys (TGV) or ICE
> trains - about half the trains from Liege are IC (NOT the ame as ICE) rather
> than Thalys.  This means you only have to pay for tickets from Maastricht to
> Liege Guillemins (a pittance).  You can either buy them at the station
> (sounds like using cash is easiest - should be less than 20 euros for the
> family) or online at http://www.nshispeed.nl/ provided you can print the
> tickets yourself.  Seat reservations are not an issue.  Remember to leave at
> least 45 mins for transfers in Brussels (you have to check in 30 mins
> beforehand).   Use http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml to plan
> your journey.
>
> Also there is an obscure alternative maastricht -> brussels midi -> Lille
> Europe (TGV toweards Paris not eurostar) -> London (eurostar from paris)
>
>>  Seems the Eurostar is all booked tomorrow for the Maastricht to Brussels
>> to London.
>>

-- 
Regards,

Bo Zhou
China Mobile