Subject: [78attendees] Inbound from Dusseldorf

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:17:13 -0700

At the time I booked my tickets, getting in and out of Brussels was a lot more expensive than the other options.  I ended up getting booked through Dusseldorf.  It looks like I'll need to take the train and transfer twice (!) though two of the legs are a half hour or less.

Anyone have any advice about dealing with a transfer through Dusseldorf?

-MSK

---

From: Stephan Wenger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:40:33 -0700

Same remark as previously made re Frankfurt: if you are not on a budget,
take a taxi.  From DUS, it should be less than EUR 200.00 (probably around
EUR 150), and take just over an hour to get to Maastricht.  Negotiating with
a few cab drivers may get you a better price.  They probably don¹t speak
English, but handing them a mapquest map showing the distance asking ³how
much² should get you a quote scribbled on a piece of paper.  Cash only, of
course.
Stephan

On 7.9.2010 10:17 , "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> At the time I booked my tickets, getting in and out of Brussels was a lot more
> expensive than the other options.  I ended up getting booked through
> Dusseldorf.  It looks like I¹ll need to take the train and transfer twice (!)
> though two of the legs are a half hour or less.
>  
> _______________________________________________
> 78attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/78attendees

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:41:52 -0700 (PDT)

Check the Deutsche Bahn website.

Trust me, changing trains in Europe is no more challenging than 
getting from gate 53 in Terminal A to gate 97 in Terminal D for
any given airport when your connecting time is already compromised by 
a delayed incoming aircraft.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

> At the time I booked my tickets, getting in and out of Brussels was 
> a lot more expensive than the other options.  I ended up getting 
> booked through Dusseldorf.  It looks like I'll need to take the 
> train and transfer twice (!) though two of the legs are a half hour 
> or less.
>

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:25:39 +0200

> Anyone have any advice about dealing with a transfer through Dusseldorf?

Not the worst choice, to start with.  The airport has two stations, one
with local trains (S) only, the other with more options.  I'd recommend
taking the monorail ("sky train") that connects the terminals
<http://www.duesseldorf-international.de/dus_en/b_skytrain>.
Go to the Airport Station ("Bahnhof Düsseldorf Flughafen").
The journey to Maastricht will usually involve regional trains only,
which means you have to buy a ticket in advance.  You can do so at the
ticket office in the station ("Reisezentrum") or at one of the vending
machines.  English language menu available, they do accept major credit cards.

For the itinerary, please check
<https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?country=DEU> with
"DÜSSELDORF FLUGHAFEN (DUS)" as the departure station.

Most likely you'll have an option between a shorter trip (2:37) and three
changes and a longer one (3:13) with two changes of trains. Believe it
or not, the shorter path is cheaper.
These tickets are not bound to a particular train, but to the path (and
date ranges).
No seat reservation is available for the (German) regional trains.
You can buy return tickets, which gives you a slight discount (not for
the German, but for the Dutch part of the journey).
Online tickets aren't available for this relation. The online interface
gives you the option of postal delivery of the ticket, but I have no
idea whether that works outside DE or even overseas. On-site purchase
is recommended and painless (see above).

-Peter (who will also use the train)

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 05:07:47 -0700 (PDT)

Tickets by mail from DB to overseas countries (at least to the USA) 
works just fine, delivers in less than a week, allows seat rvs at
least in 1st class. I have done this a number of times. It is a little 
more complex when it involves foreign (non-DB) trains and you might 
see messages like "fare cannot be calculated", but they willl e-mail
you the info once you order. Already have my Frankfurt to Leipzig 
ticket for my visit to the Thomaskirche following IETF :-)

ole

Ole J. Jacobsen