Subject: [78attendees] Maastricht restaurants

From: Michael Knappe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 22:18:14 -0700

Anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants in Maastricht that are within a reasonable walking distance from the conference?

Mike

---

From: "Fahd A. Batayneh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:29:12 +0300

Here is a set of recommended restaurants from the local host website
http://www.ietf78.nl/maastricht/restaurants.html

Cheers,

-- FAB
Sent from Amman, Jordan

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Michael Knappe <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants in Maastricht that are
> within a reasonable walking distance from the conference?
>
> Mike
> _______________________________________________
> 78attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/78attendees
>

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:49:22 +0300

I didn't check all of them, but at least most of those are on the other side of the river, around 3 KM from MECC. 

So it's about 0.5 an hour walk even for the fit, even assuming it doesn't rain.

Anyone know about the restaurant and cafe at the MECC?

On Jul 12, 2010, at 8:29 AM, Fahd A. Batayneh wrote:

> Here is a set of recommended restaurants from the local host website http://www.ietf78.nl/maastricht/restaurants.html
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> -- FAB
> Sent from Amman, Jordan
> 
> 
> <ATT00001..txt>

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:17:46 +0200

> So it's about 0.5 an hour walk even for the fit, even assuming it doesn't

If it rains or if you don't want to walk, just take bus.  A few euros get
you to the other side of town.

>> http://www.ietf78.nl/maastricht/restaurants.html

I'd add Bokes, near Vrijhof.  On Vrijthof and Onze Lieve Vrouwe
plein, there are a lot of restaurants, one better than the other, but
generally good.  And with nice weather, you can sit outside.

Those with unlimited expense accounts should try Beluga or Toine Hermsen.

Henk

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I confirm today what I denied yesterday.            Anonymous Politician.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:10:53 -0400

> If it rains or if you don't want to walk, just take bus.  A few euros
get you to the other side of town.

Since Henk mentioned the bus, it's time to point out that Maastricht
still uses the (wonderful) Dutch strippenkaart zone-based fare system:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Tariff_System .  This is good on
local buses (run by Veolia), and on all trains (both NS and Veolia)
between Maastricht and Maastricht Randwyck (near MECC for IETF), but
**not on trains beyond Maastricht**, except on Veolia trains to Heerlen
and Kerkrade.

In order to use this, you have to know how many zones.  The Veolia NL
web site is in Dutch, but the zones are shown on this bus map:

http://www.veolia-transport.nl/pays-bas/ressources/documents/2/984,lijne
nnetkaart-Maastricht-1nov09.pdf 

The fare should be 2 zones (3 strips) to downtown Maastricht, but
someone local should double-check.  Bus schedules are here:

http://www.veolia-transport.nl/pays-bas/ressources/documents/2/1310,webf
ile-Maastricht-25nov09.pdf 

IETF meets during the summer vacation period, so there's less bus
service than during the rest of the year.  A simple summary (more
details in schedules) is that routes 1 and 3 provide every-15-minute
service to downtown during the day, and in the evening, line 1 provides
every-30-minute service.  There are 4 trains an hour during the day, and
3 in the evening (but the trains are not evenly spaced).  There are
additional bus routes that don't go beyond the main Maastricht train
station.

Enjoy,
--David

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 22:42:11 +0300

Found this site.

http://www.eet.nu/zoek?query=mecc

Google translate helps. 

Yoav

On Jul 12, 2010, at 8:18 AM, Michael Knappe wrote:

> Scanned by Check Point Total Security Gateway.

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:42:08 +0200

A Google search results in a few other hits in English, among which:

http://us.holland.com/e/8515/Restaurants%20in%20Maastricht.php
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g188575-Maastricht_Limburg.html

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Yoav Nir
> Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 10:42 PM
> To: Michael Knappe
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [78attendees] Maastricht restaurants
> 
> Found this site.
> 
> > Anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants in 
> Maastricht that are within a reasonable walking distance from 
> the conference?
> > 
> > Mike

---

From: Tina TSOU <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:45:59 +0800

"Dine in a castle" sounds very interesting.

B. R.
Tina
http://tinatsou.weebly.com/contact.html

---

From: Marco Hogewoning <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:52:55 +0200

> http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g188575-Maastricht_Limburg.html

Unfortunately in Dutch, but reliable when it comes to reviews:

http://www.iens.nl/restaurant/maastricht

Points are on a 1 to 10 scale. And yes Beluga has two Michelen stars, but I would be on the lookout for stuff labeled as 'eetcafe' as they are pretty informal, usually don't require reservations unless the group is over 8 people, the color (green or red) usually already is a pretty clear indication on what to expect. translate.google for the details.

Groet,

Marco
-- 
XS4ALL netbeheer

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:53:44 -0500

For folks that have dietary restrictions, the second restaurant on
this website (Le Courage) looks very promising:
http://www.hotelpauwenhof.com/uk/packages?&detail=y&vid=19

It notes that "Vegetarian, Sugar free, gluten free and guests with
milk or nut allergies are more than welcome."

And, it got an excellent rating on the Trip Advisor website that Dan
R. pointed out (#5 out of 99).

As an FYI, I did update my food document:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-barnes-healthy-food-02

I do want to thank the secretariat who have done a good job of
ensuring that there is adequate food that we can eat at the breaks -
e.g., fruit and frozen fruit bars were available for the Thursday ice
cream social in Anaheim.

And, as always, folks with these dietary restrictions that want to
share information that may not be of interest to attendees in general
are welcome to join the
ietf-food list:
https://www.employees.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-food

Of course, if folks that don't have restrictions happen to find a
place that indicates that they can accomodate the dietary
restrictions, please let us know.  Lunch will obviously be the most
challenging for us at this venue.

Thanks,
Mary.

---

From: Tina TSOU <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:41:20 +0800

Mary, may I suggest you update your wonderful draft adding the info for 
those who bring their kids for IETF meetings?

B. R.
Tina