Subject: [78attendees] belgian beer recommendations

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 20:21:21 -0700

A buddy of mine who's a prof at Univ of Canterbury in NZ coincidentally 
journey's to Liege a few times a year and has bopped over to Maastricht a few 
times. Here's his beer recommendations (hot off of IM from NZ)...

  "Brand" beer --  It's a local beer... relative newcomer locally speaking 
compared to Belgium [beers, overall].. Been brewing since only 1340-something [ 
he makes (sorta-) joke ]

If you want a solid belgian, Leffe is my usual for the blondes and Rochefort 
for a great brown Trappist beer (Rochefort 10 is the recommended one).

If you want blonde trappist, Westmalle Triple or Karmeliet Triple.

Grimbergen blond also nice.

8^)

=JeffH

---

From: Klaas Wierenga <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 15:48:17 +0200

On 7/12/10 5:21 AM, =JeffH wrote:
> journey's to Liege a few times a year and has bopped over to Maastricht
> a few times. Here's his beer recommendations (hot off of IM from NZ)...
>
> compared to Belgium [beers, overall].. Been brewing since only
> 1340-something [ he makes (sorta-) joke ]
>
> If you want a solid belgian, Leffe is my usual for the blondes and
> Rochefort for a great brown Trappist beer (Rochefort 10 is the
> recommended one).
>

personally I also like the "Korenwolf" a lot (if you are in to Weizen 
type of beer). But a week in Maastricht is the perfect opportunity to 
try all trappists (all Belgian but one) ;-)

Klaas

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 06:51:46 -0700 (PDT)

Klaas,

I've been told some Belgian beer is really strong, in the 8 - 12 
percent range, that's approaching wine. Care to comment?

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Klaas Wierenga wrote:

> personally I also like the "Korenwolf" a lot (if you are in to Weizen type of
> beer). But a week in Maastricht is the perfect opportunity to try all
> trappists (all Belgian but one) ;-)
> 
> Klaas

---

From: Basil Dolmatov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:01:05 +0400

> percent range, that's approaching wine. Care to comment?

Yess... Take care... ;)

dol@

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:04:32 +0200

There are hundreds of brands of beer in Belgium, some are stronger,
other not so strong, yes, the average and the best IMHO are not on the
light side. You may want to have a read at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_in_Belgium on the various categories. 

Dan

PS - hey, Bert, Henrik, where are you when we need expert opinions :-)  

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ole Jacobsen
> Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 4:52 PM
> To: Klaas Wierenga
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [78attendees] belgian beer recommendations
> 
> 
> Klaas,
> 
> I've been told some Belgian beer is really strong, in the 8 - 
> 12 percent range, that's approaching wine. Care to comment?
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 78attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/78attendees
>

---

From: Klaas Wierenga <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 17:33:01 +0200

> percent range, that's approaching wine. Care to comment?

well, Belgium has an incredible amount of beers (see Dan's url), in all 
flavors, tastes and alcohol percentages. Trappists usually come as 
'dubbel' (double, 6-8%) or tripel (triple, 8-10%). But definately, you 
don;t drink them like pilseners (or at least you will not be able to 
keep that up for long ;-)

http://www.eupedia.com/belgium/belgian_beers.shtml has a lot of Belgian 
beers and there alcohol percentages (for those that want to do an 
advance study ;-)

Klaas