Subject: [78attendees] Random Maastricht notes

From: Geert Jan de Groot <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:14:58 +0200

Being Dutch (and perhaps "local", though not part of the LOC),
and at the danger of causing even more confusion,
some random notes which you might find useful:

Train:
>From Schiphol Airport, recommendation really is to use Dutch Railways
(http://www.ns.nl/cs/Satellite/travellers) to travel to Maastricht.
On mobile devices, http://mobile.ns.nl/ is probably easier

The MECC is actually close to "Maastricht Randwijck", not "Maastricht".
When I visited the MECC a few weeks ago I found that from the
"Maastricht Randwijck" station it's just a few minutes walk.
>From "Maastricht" you probably want a taxi.

As discussed, you probably need to change either in "Amsterdam" or
"Utrecht".
If you travel to to "Maastricht Randwijck", you'll need to
change at "Maastricht" as well, unfortunately. 
All these trains run several times per hour so should 
you miss a connection, just take the next one.

The "Maastricht" train does split up in Sittard and they will announce
train numbers for each direction. There will be travellers who can
help you identifying the right cart, you can also ask for help
when you change in Amsterdam or Utrecht.

In case of delays, disruptions etc, the "KPN" hotspot at each station
does allow access to http://www.ns.nl free of charge. 
Or, just ask NS staff if in doubt.

The ticket machines (big and yellow) at Schiphol do accept credit cards 
(got one report they did not, but NS still says they do and they did 
accept 3 months ago). 
NS ticket vending machines elsewhere in the Netherlands do not
accept credit cards.
You can buy tickets for "today" or "undated" tickets, and my suggestion
would be to buy one ticket "today" to Maastricht, and an "undated"
for the return trip. 
You will need to validate the "undated" ticket in a stamp machine, 
a small yellow box on a pole. Ask NS staff for help.
If this is all too complex, you can buy tickets at the NS ticket 
counter at Schiphol, unfortunately surcharge for buying at the counter
is EUR 0.50.

What not to do:
- Do not buy "reduction fare" (if you need these instructions 
  "reduction fare" probably doesn't apply to you)
- Do not buy "return ticket" because both trips need to be at the same day
- Do not buy "OV chipkaart" as it is not valid everywhere yet
  (and a paper ticket is)

Price single fare: 
2nd class: EUR 27.50
1st class: EUR 46.80
(prices valid as of 16 june)

Maastricht <--> Maastricht Randwyck is run by 2 operators,
a paper ticket is valid in both.

Power sockets may be available in 1st class, but not in 2nd.
Don't count on them being available. While there is word on getting 
wifi in the trains, expect it not available but test in any case.

Money matters:
Netherlands use the EURO (EUR). The Dutch society is moving from
cash-driven to debet-card ("PIN-pas"), so make sure you bring a card 
with Maestro logo (and, apperently, some may need to "have it enabled
for the Netherlands" by your bank, so do ask!). 95% of places still
accept cash, the only trouble spot may be late-night convinience shops,
unattended train ticket vending machines, etc

Because of skimming, ATM machines now have special "mouths" on them to
avoid skimmers adding their equipment. The welcome screen of the ATM 
generally shows what the "mouth" should look like. If the pictures match,
even if it's fancy, then it will be safe.

ATMs are more likely to dispense money from debet cards than from
credit cards, hence my suggestion to bring a debit card if you have one.
If your credit card has a PIN code, remember to bring it as many places 
do require it if they do accept credit cards at all.

As to paper money, note that many places do not accept bigger notes
than the EUR 50,- note. Specifically, many do not accept the EUR 100,  
200, 500 note, so don't bring those (the ATMs don't dispense them
either).
Of course, big fancy hotels do accept big notes, all credit cards etc 
but these guidelines apply to buying stuff on the street.

Power:
First off, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_plugs.
Netherlands is 230V, 50Hz.
Plugs are either "CEE 7/4 / type F / Schuko" (very common), or "CEE
7/16 / type C / ungrounded round " (mainly residential, and getting
less common).
"type F" plugs work in both types of sockets, but note that "type C"
(the round one, not eurpolug) plugs does not fit in "schuko" sockets
(this is a Dutch electrical code safety issue). "Europlug" also works
in both.

Weather:
Dutch summer is in full swing, with temperatures as high as 35 centigrade
(95 F) in peak days. Temperatures listed for the country are averages,
the south-east (Maastricht) is typically hotter.
This also means the inevatable thunder storm so bring an umbrella. 
Dutch weather is not very predictable though so also bring kit
for cooler days.

Finally, this all may sound worrysome, but I think you'll find 
things hospitable and smooth, with the vast majority of the
Dutch population speaking English. I wish everybody a safe trip
and hope to see you in Maastricht!

Geert Jan

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:01:10 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Iljitsch van Beijnum sent the following messages to the IETF list which 
provide lots of info about the train, bus, tickets, etc.

https://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=49&gid=0&k1=933&k2=51108&tid=1278527601
(airports and train options)

https://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=49&gid=0&k1=933&k2=52147&tid=1278525952
https://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=49&gid=0&k1=933&k2=52148&tid=1278525952
(more train info and bus info, tickets and passes)

The March message devolved into a long discussion about US credit cards vs 
European credit card pin+chip and the need for cash.  My takeaway: when 
someone says yes, the machines/shops take credit cards, ask for 
clarification about US credit cards.  Same for debit cards.

--Sandy

---

From: "WORLEY, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:06:02 -0400

________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Sandra Murphy [[email-masked]]

_______________________________________________

Can you give us a pointer to the credit card information?  The 78attendees mailing list archive only goes back a month (???).  In particular, is there a risk that the hotels will have a problem processing US credit cards?

Dale

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:50:03 +0300

The problem is with vending machines. Some of them don't accept chip-less cards. Some don't even accept credit cards - only debit cards.

Hotels won't have a problem. Even if their automatic devices won't work, they can always write down the CC number and CVV and have you sign for it (you know, like we did credit cards 30 years ago)

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:03:55 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

The March discussion was on the "ietf" list.  The links I sent were to the 
ietf list, so you should be able to find the thread there.

--Sandy