Subject: [78attendees] cave biking

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:12:43 +0200

There are some "caves" near Maastricht. Or really, man-made historic 
tunnels, they were used during the war hiding out, for instance. These 
days they organize tours and various other activities over there.

I would be interested in doing their "cave biking" tour. The idea is to 
follow a guide around the cave system on mountain bikes for an hour and 
half. I expect it to be a rather leisurely ride, nothing extreme.

However, their tours normally run during the day when we are all 
meeting. But if we had a group of ten we could have our own tour at 4:30 
pm tomorrow Friday. If you are interested in joining such a tour, let me 
know. We would leave the hotel 3:30 pm. The cost is 25€ + your share of 
the two-way 25 min. taxi ride to the site. Its somewhat chilly in the 
cave system so you may need a jacket or similar.

Jari

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:35:13 -0400

I would interested.

Marshall

On Jul 29, 2010, at 10:12 AM, Jari Arkko wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 78attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/78attendees

Marshall Eubanks
CTO / Iformata Communications
[email-masked]
+1-703-501-4376

---

From: Huub van Helvoort <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:57:09 +0200

Hello Jari,

You wrote:

> tunnels, they were used during the war hiding out, for instance.

They go back to Roman times (2000 years ago, when Maastricht was called
Mosa trajectum), many houses are built with the stone from
there "corridors".

Cheers, Huub.

-- 
================================================================
Always remember that you are unique...just like everyone else...

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:02:31 -0400

> Mosa trajectum), many houses are built with the stone from

These sound like catacombs to me.

By the way, is bike rental separate or included ?

Regards
Marshall

Marshall Eubanks

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 17:09:58 +0200

Marshall,

> By the way, is bike rental separate or included ?

I did not ask about that explicitly, but I assumed it was included. Btw, 
here's a picture and some additional information:

   http://www.ietf78.nl/maastricht/things-to-do.html

I have five persons signing up now.

Jari

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:12:44 -0400

On Jul 29, 2010, at 11:09 AM, Jari Arkko wrote:

> I did not ask about that explicitly, but I assumed it was included.

The link below says yes

Having been issued with a mountain bike and helmet especially adapted  
to the tunnels, the adventure begins. The 8 km long route runs along a  
140 km long network of dark marlstone tunnels.

Marshall

> Btw,

Marshall Eubanks

---

From: John Scudder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:14:07 -0700

>   http://www.ietf78.nl/maastricht/things-to-do.html

That link sez "Having been issued with a mountain bike and helmet especially adapted to the tunnels, the adventure begins."  I would interpret that as "bike is included".

--John

---

From: Tobias Heer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 17:25:25 +0200

Hi, 

I did some cave biking in Valkenburg in winter and Helmets as well as bicycles were included. I can really recommend this. It is a fun and unique experience. 

BR, 

Tobias

-- 
Dipl.-Inform. Tobias Heer, Ph.D. Student
Distributed Systems Group 
RWTH Aachen University, Germany
tel: +49 241 80 207 76
web: http://ds.cs.rwth-aachen.de/members/heer
blog: http://dtobi.wordpress.com/
card: http://card.ly/dtobi

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 18:44:30 +0200

I now have a group for this, and there is no more room for additional 
participants. I have asked the organizers if they can accommodate a 
second group, but they have not responded yet. Stay tuned.

Jari

---

From: "Fahd A. Batayneh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 20:34:49 +0200

Guys, bare in mind that the guide accompanying you usually speaks Dutch
ONLY. Thus, make sure you have a guide that can explain the tour to you in
English (I did not take the tour for this reason)

Cheers,

-- FAB
Sent from Maastricht, Limburg, Netherlands

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> wrote:

> participants. I have asked the organizers if they can accommodate a second
> group, but they have not responded yet. Stay tuned.
>
>
> Jari
>