Subject: [79attendees] Vegetarian Restaurant Guide

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 19:31:57 +0800

Hello all

It will be quite diffcult to find vegetarian restaurant,  we searched some,
Below information, we are expecting those information useful
for both IETF 79 and our conference, this include 5 items at this moment.

http://labs.chinamobile.com/wiise/meeting/venue
1) From Airport to Hotel (Shangri-la, Hotel Nikko, Jiuzhou Commercial)
2) Great Wall tour.
3) One shopping recommendation
4) Vegetarian Restaurant Guide
5) Kosher restaurant

By the way, you could drop by our conference
http://labs.chinamobile.com/wiise/meeting/program
this will be open for IETF participants if room allows.

Best regards,

-Hui

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:07:57 -0400

Hui: thank you for all your work.  The photo-based guidance is
wonderful.  FYI the URL for google map at the beginning doesn't work for me.

I expect to use the subway a number of times during the week.  Are there
subway ticket options such as "ten trip" or "1 week"?

It looks like you have covered all of the vegetarian restaurants in the
area.  I was able to find a few more listed at
<http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/beijing/dinning/vegetarian.htm>
and <http://www.happycow.net/asia/china/beijing/>, but I don't know how
accurate that list is.  I expect to use my "I am vegetarian" sheet
(attached).

Thank you again ... Scott

---

From: Mark Prior <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 00:41:27 +1030

> subway ticket options such as "ten trip" or "1 week"?

Buy a stored value card for the public transport.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yikatong>

Mark.
-- 
Mark Prior
Liaison, APAC R&E Community
Juniper Networks

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 22:25:00 +0800

Yikatong is correct, I am personally using it everyday for bus and subway,
You don't need pay everytime, just use this contactless card.

The issue for this card is that you need deposit 20RMB for card, and may
store 30RMB
for actual usage, mostly we get it from big subway station, but my
impression is that
you won't be able to buy it in "National Library" station.

Before you leave Beijing, you also need to return this card and get 20RMB
and left money back.

In Xizhimeng Station, you could get Yikatong, but you need to go out of
platform
and buy a card and come in again, you need additional 2RMB.

and also kentuck fried chicken sell this card.

see blue card in this link
http://www.mtr.bj.cn/En/services/tickets.htm

-Hui

2010/10/29 Mark Prior <[email-masked]>

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 22:29:27 +0800

Scott made a very good one, it is quite useful, good work
please print out and bring with you together.

-Hui

2010/10/29 Scott Brim <[email-masked]>

> <http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/beijing/dinning/vegetarian.htm
> >

---

From: Mark Prior <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 01:04:33 +1030

On 30/10/10 12:55 AM, "Hui Deng" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The issue for this card is that you need deposit 20RMB for card, and may store
> 30RMB
> for actual usage, mostly we get it from big subway station, but my impression
> is that 

If you go to the Forbidden City on a tour then you might be able to escape
to the metro stops nearby.
  
> Before you leave Beijing, you also need to return this card and get 20RMB and
> left money back.

Or you just collect them like I do :-)

Mark.

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 10:44:08 -0400

Wikipedia says that taxis accept the yikatong card as well.  True?

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 22:47:00 +0800

true,

Normally taxi driver will have to get those money back from some
central station, but normally they don't like to go there,

they are reluctant to use this card, but if you are a stranger to BJ or
without any cash with you they will be fine for you paying by this card

-Hui

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:30:19 -0400

> please print out and bring with you together.

I compiled it from various sources.  I just went back to my original
source, from 2007, and found that he has expanded it.  Some of these
phrases might not be in Beijing Chinese, but see the PDF at
<http://www.taiwan-guide.org/david/vegetarian.html>

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 00:37:07 +0800

some are traditional characters other than simplified,
but mainland people could read them.

-Hui

2010/10/30 Scott Brim <[email-masked]>

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 11:59:58 -0700

Just as a note, the top the line actually states that you are a
Buddhist.  Those who are vegetarians but are not Buddhists
may not wish to use this portion of the card.   This is
partly because strict adherence to the Buddhist cuisine
constraints also eliminates other foods (like onions and garlic).
I have never known anyone in a restaurant setting who required
a reason for the cuisine choice--just the constraints.

For those who have actual allergies to onions, garlic and the
other members of the Allium family, this *should not* be used
as a substitute for a statement of the allergy, because the level
at which a restaurant understands and adheres to the
constraints will vary widely.  A direct statement is much safer.

regards,

Ted

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Scott Brim <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 79attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/79attendees
>
>