Subject: [79attendees] maiden names vs "Other and Former Names" field

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 14:00:20 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Does anyone know whether China wishes applicants with a maiden name to 
enter it in the "Other or Former Name" field?

I have not found instructions for the form that explain that field.  I've 
seen (visa agent) sites online that say yes and sites that say no, but the 
positive answers seem more prevalent.

--Sandy

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:22:46 -0700

I would assume that you should -- too much info is better than too little, but IANACVP...

(I Am Not A Chinese Visa Processor)

Warren Kumari
------
Please excuse typing, etc -- This was sent from a device with a tiny keyboard.

On Oct 7, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 
> Does anyone know whether China wishes applicants with a maiden name to enter it in the "Other or Former Name" field?
> 
> I have not found instructions for the form that explain that field.  I've seen (visa agent) sites online that say yes and sites that say no, but the positive answers seem more prevalent.
> 
> --Sandy
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 79attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/79attendees

---

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 14:34:01 -0400

Fill out two copies of the form - one with and one without.  Bring both 
with you when you drop them off and let them decide.  :-)  Or if you're 
using a visa processor, let the VP decide.  If you're using the WDC visa 
office, they'll probably appreciate the choice.

Mike

On 10/7/2010 2:00 PM, Sandra Murphy wrote:
> I have not found instructions for the form that explain that field.  
> I've seen (visa agent) sites online that say yes and sites that say 
> no, but the positive answers seem more prevalent.
>
> --Sandy
>
>
>

---

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 22:39:37 +0100

Sandy,

My wife has completed such a form several times and has always included all 
of her former names in this box.

Adrian

---

From: Sandra Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:09:34 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

I submitted my application Friday in person, including my maiden name, 
without difficulty.

Some info for DC metro area people who are planning to submit their visa 
in person.

I found out the hard way that the Embassy (3505 International Place, N.W.) 
is not where you submit visa applications.  They must be submitted at the 
Visa office at 2201 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W. Suite 110.  They are open 9:30 
am - 12:30 pm, 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm.  That info is from the Contact Us page 
on the china-embassy home page 
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/sgxx/lxwm/. IIRC, when I was searching 
for an address for the embassy, that page did not have an address (which I 
found frustrating).  OTOH, could also have been operator error.

When you get to 2201 Wisconsin, you walk into a tiled lobby which has a 
sign post pointing to the door at the opposite end.  Be not discouraged by 
the condition of the floor or walls or the fact that you are walking past 
rooms labeled "Mechanical Room", "Electrical Room" and "Telephone Room". 
This is the right place.

The mistake about the address delayed me so that I got there at 12:35, 
which meant I waited until 1:30.  I took a number and saw that there were 
60 people ahead of me.  At 2:30 there were still 30 people ahead of me. 
But many numbers were called that went unanswered, so I got my application 
(and applications for three other people) submitted and was done at 3:05. 
There were still easily 20 people in the room.

The nice lady corrected small errors and filled in missing info here and 
there.  The printed copy of my invitation letter worked.  She did ask what 
my company did ("Computers" sufficed) and what the companies of the others 
did.  When I did not know the answer for one of those, she took the time 
to search for it on her computer.  So it must matter.

Some info for anyone in the uS using the IETF 79 links:

The "Visa Information" link on the IETF 79 host page's US section gets you 
to "Chinese Visa" - http://us.chineseembassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/.  I 
suspect that is not the current page.  The "Contact Us" link on that page 
takes you to a "Sorry, the webpage you browsed has been deleted!" page. 
The "Business Visa" link on that page takes you to 
http://us.chineseembassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84247.htm which lists the old 
fee of $130.  The new fee is $140.

If you start from the US China embassy home page 
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/ and click on "Visa,Passport, 
Notarization & Authentication", you get to 
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/ywzn/lsyw/vpna/.  Click on "Visa to 
China" (updated 2010-06-22) and you get to a page that has a more question 
and answer format about the different visas (and the new fee structure). 
Neither of these pages look like the pages the IETF 79 site points to.

The home page scroll section notes that "Our English website has been 
revised since 11 June."  I suspect that updates continue.

--Sandy