Subject: [79attendees] Discover China -- SIM cards and wireless data cards

From: Tina Tsou <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 12:35:12 -0700

Thanks to Ted Lemon for suggesting this.

A passport is needed for the purchase of 3G SIM card or wireless data card.

If your cell phone is Motorola MT810, Samsung i7680, S3930C, C5530C, Nokia
X5, C5, and your laptop is any type of laptop, your ISP is China Mobile.

For 3G SIM card, you can buy Chang Ting card of The Divine Land Travel in
any business station of China Mobile. It takes 10RMB. Additionally you need
to buy pre-paid card to deposit money into your new SIM card. 

You call 13800138000 to correlate your SIM card and pre-paid card. The rate
is 0.2RMB/min calling, 0.1RMB/min called in the 1st month.

The closest China Mobile business station named "ZiZhuQiao" to Shangri-la
Hotel is in ZiZhuYuan Road 1st, it is walk able. It is located in the first
level of Building D, Ren Ji Shan Zhuang, which is an open community. It is
open 9AM-7PM every day.

For 3G Wireless Data Card, 560RMB includes 7 months, 70G Internet traffic.

China Mobile's customer service hotline is +86 10086.

If your cell phone is iPhone, and your laptop is iPad and other Apple
laptop, your ISP is China Unicom.

You can contact your local operator to check whether you have already opened
an international roaming feature. If yes, you can enjoy 3G in China with the
international fee.

For 3G SIM card, you can buy a 98RMB product set of 186- 3G cell phone
number card from China Union business station. It includes a SIM card and a
66RMB pre-paid menu. It includes 200min national calls, 60M Internet
traffic, national video call 10min, called free nationally. It will charge
0.2RMB/min, 0.6RMB national video calls, 0.0003RMB/KB Internet traffic,
calling if you exceed the contracted amount.

For 3G Wireless Data Card, 598RMB includes data service and SMS service.

More reasonable solution is 36RMB pure data service, 150M data traffic. 

It will cost 0.0003RMB/KB Internet traffic, calling if you exceed the
contracted amount.

The closest China Unicom business station to Shangri-la Hotel is below.

1. "ZiZhuYuan" business station, west side of Hao bai Building, east south
side of ZiZhu Bridge, No.1, Chang Yun Gong Road, West 3rd Ring north road 2.
"LianHuaQiao" (Lotus Bridge) business station, Jia No. 3, Shi Fang Yuan,
North side of Jing Du Xin Yuan Hotel, Han Dian District

China Unicom's customer service hotline is +86 18618610010.

Best Regards,

Tina TSOU

http://tinatsou.weebly.com/contact.html

---

From: Tina Tsou <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:42:32 -0700

Best Regards,

Tina TSOU

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Tina Tsou
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 12:35 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [79attendees] Discover China -- SIM cards and wireless data cards

The closest China Mobile business station named “ZiZhuQiao” to Shangri-la
Hotel is in ZiZhuYuan Road 1st, it is walk able. It is located in the first
level of Building D, Ren Ji Shan Zhuang, which is an open community. It is
open 9AM-7PM every day.

[Thank you for the suggesting from Scott Brim. The address in Chinese is
“紫竹院路1号, 紫竹桥营业厅, 在人济山庄D栋1楼”.]

China Mobile’s customer service hotline is +86 10086.

1.“ZiZhuYuan” business station, west side of Hao bai Building, east south
side of ZiZhu Bridge, No.1, Chang Yun Gong Road, West 3rd Ring north road 

[The address in Chinese is “豪柏大厦西侧, 紫竹桥东南侧, 昌运宫路1号, 西三环
北路, 紫竹院营业厅”.]

2. “LianHuaQiao” (Lotus Bridge) business station, Jia No. 3, Shi Fang
Yuan, North side of Jing Du Xin Yuan Hotel, Han Dian District

[The address in Chinese is “海淀区什坊院甲3号, 莲花桥营业厅, 在京都信苑饭店
北侧”.]

China Unicom’s customer service hotline is +86 18618610010.

Best Regards,

Tina TSOU

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:57:34 -0700

On 10/28/2010 12:35 PM, Tina Tsou wrote:
> If your cell phone is Motorola MT810, Samsung i7680, S3930C, C5530C, Nokia X5,
> C5, and your laptop is any type of laptop, your ISP is China Mobile.
...
> If your cell phone is iPhone, and your laptop is iPad and other Apple laptop,
> your ISP is China Unicom.

Thank you for your note.

Why does the manufacturer matter?

And, of course, there are many you did not list, such as Google's HTC Nexus One. 
  (Not a random example, of course.)

What do those of us with one of these other phones do?

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net

---

From: YAO Jiankang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:01:00 +0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Dave Crocker" <[email-masked]>
To: "Tina Tsou" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 4:57 AM
Subject: Re: [79attendees] Discover China -- SIM cards and wireless datacards

> Why does the manufacturer matter?

IPHONE's sim card slot is different from the sim card format provided by china mobile.

but you can find some china moile shop to cut the sim card to adapt it to iphone's sim card slot.

>  (Not a random example, of course.)

my understaning is that iphone's sim card slot is uniqe. most of other manufacturers use regular sim card slot. 

> What do those of us with one of these other phones do?
I think that it depends on the function your phone supports
if your phone support gsm, you can select china mobile
if wcdma, use china unicom
if cdma, use china telecom

Jiankang Yao
> _______________________________________________
> 79attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/79attendees
>

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 21:03:34 -0700

> manufacturers use regular sim card slot.

oh. wow. hadn't heard of that.

yeah, customer capture.

> I think that it depends on the function your phone supports if your phone
> support gsm, you can select china mobile

Excellent.  MANY thanks!

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker

---

From: "Andrew Allen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:07:45 -0500

If you are planning to get a local SIM make sure your phone is not SIM
locked.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Dave Crocker
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 11:04 PM
To: YAO Jiankang
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [79attendees] Discover China -- SIM cards and wireless
datacards

yeah, customer capture.

Excellent.  MANY thanks!

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker

---------------------------------------------------------------------
This transmission (including any attachments) may contain confidential information, privileged material (including material protected by the solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.

---

From: Jarrett Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:10:55 -0700

On 10/28/10 09:01 PM, YAO Jiankang wrote:
> From: "Dave Crocker"<[email-masked]>
> To: "Tina Tsou"<[email-masked]>
> Cc:<[email-masked]>

Is this true for iPhone 3GS? I know iPhone 4 uses the smaller micro sim 
card. Are the millions of iPhone users in China all China Unicom customers?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions.

- Jarrett

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 01:15:57 -0700 (PDT)

SIM vs MicroSIM. It's not really "customer capture" as much as the 
next generation technology.

By now, several solutions a la this one exists:

http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/hktechphooey/post.htm?id=63019014

I'll bring mine to Beijing, perhaps leave it with the registration 
desk folks.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: YAO Jiankang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 16:50:38 +0800

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jarrett Lu" <[email-masked]>
To: "YAO Jiankang" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: [79attendees] Discover China -- SIM cards and wireless datacards

> Is this true for iPhone 3GS?
>

I heard that some iPhone 3GS use regular sim card, some use smaller sim card.
one of my friends use the regular sim card in iPhone 3GS, but some are not.
all iPhone 4GS use smaller card. 

> I know iPhone 4 uses the smaller micro sim 

yes. most users are.

China Unicom is the partner of apple in china, china mobile not

Jiankang Yao

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 03:34:01 -0700 (PDT)

Just to be clear:

All iPhones up to and including 3GS use standard SIM cards.

All iPhone 4s and iPads use the newer MicroSIM cards.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: Tina Tsou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 22:54:54 -0700

Update from my working draft-tsou-ietf79-discover-china-02, waiting for the
submission tools open again.

5. 3G SIM card and wireless data card

A passport is needed for the purchase of Chinese 3G SIM card or wireless
data card.

5.1 TD-CDMA

If your cell phone can run on TD-CDMA, for example, is Motorola MT810,
Samsung i7680, S3930C, C5530C, Nokia X5, C5, and your laptop is any type of
laptop, your ISP is China Mobile. I think most of you don’t have these
types of cell phones, so you don’t have to look at the below paragraphs of
this session.

The closest China Mobile business station named “ZiZhuQiao” to Shangri-la
Hotel is in ZiZhuYuan Road 1st, it is walk able. It is located in the first
level of Building D, Ren Ji Shan Zhuang, which is an open community. The
address in Chinese is “紫竹院路1号, 紫竹桥营业厅, 在人济山庄D栋1楼”. It is
open 9AM-7PM every day.

5.2 WCDMA

If your cell phone can run on WCDMA, for example, is iPhone, or Google's HTC
Nexus One etc, and your laptop is iPad and other Apple laptop, your ISP is
China Unicom.

5.3 CDMA

If your cell phone can run on CDMA, your ISP is China Telecom. If you want
to use the mobile phone number from China Telecom, you have to check whether
your phone supports 800MHZ, your phone and SIM card can be separated, if you
need to use your phone in China, you have to unlock it in the US operators.

For 3G SIM card, if you want to buy a SIM card in Beijing, you can buy Chang
Liao Card 49RMB/month; you have to un-register before you leave. 0.19RMB/min
calling, 0RMB/min called in Beijing.

For 3G Wireless Data Card, Menu “EVDO” 200RMB/month, includes 120 hours,
15G Internet traffic. 0.1RMB/min, if you exceed the contracted amount. Menu
“EVDO” 300RMB/month, includes 200 hours, 15G Internet traffic.

The closest business station is at 1st floor of Wan Fa Buiding, No18, Middle
Road of West 3rd ring, Haidian District. The Chinese address is海淀区西三环
中路18号，万发大厦1层. It opens 9AM-8PM, every day.

China Telecom’s customer service hotline is +86 18918910000.

Best Regards,

Tina TSOU

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:33:09 +0900

> You can contact your local operator to check whether you have already
> opened an international roaming feature. If yes, you can enjoy 3G in
> China with the international fee.

i am not sure you want to use the word 'enjoy' in relation to the 3G
roaming fees.  maybe 'endure'

randy