Subject: [79attendees] Discover China - Tipping

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:12:35 -0400

Apologies if this has been addressed earlier ...

What is the cultural norm in for China for tipping?

spt

---

From: Klaas Wierenga <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:22:08 +0200

> What is the cultural norm in for China for tipping?

my experience is that if I leave something on the table they come
running after me to outside the restaurant to hand me back my tip....

Klaas

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 21:49:36 +0900

> What is the cultural norm in for China for tipping?

in asia, generally not

randy

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:01:24 -0500

My understanding from looking at business etiquette books is that accepting 
tips was actually illegal when China opened to a broader range of 
international visitors, but you're less likely to actually be chased down 
from behind to return the tip these days ... but as Randy also said, tipping 
is still not the norm.

I still get credit card slips on China visits that don't have any place to 
add a tip, for what that's worth.

Spencer

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:43:27 -0500

On Oct 29, 2010, at 8:01 AM, "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My understanding from looking at business etiquette books is that accepting tips was actually illegal when China opened to a broader range of international visitors, but you're less likely to actually be chased down from behind to return the tip these days ... but as Randy also said, tipping is still not the norm.

Am I correct in understanding that this applies to all services where one might tip in the US or Europe? E.g. Taxis, hotel maid service, etc; not just restaurants?

> 
> I still get credit card slips on China visits that don't have any place to add a tip, for what that's worth.
> 
> Spencer
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 79attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/79attendees

---

From: Parkop Kisokau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 22:03:53 +0800

In my experience as a foreigner here in Beijing for more than a year now, it
varies depending on the situation.
It seems a general culture here that most people are reluctant in accepting
anything for free especially from foreigners or strangers in places like
restaurants, maid services, and taxis. However its different for example in
the process of bargaining, after settling for the agreed price, they will
still accept the tip/extra money if you decide to pay a bit more. So yes, it
varies depending on the situation.

Parkop

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Ben Campbell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > My understanding from looking at business etiquette books is that
> accepting tips was actually illegal when China opened to a broader range of
> Am I correct in understanding that this applies to all services where one
> might tip in the US or Europe? E.g. Taxis, hotel maid service, etc; not just
> restaurants?
>
> >

---

From: Chak Chau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 10:38:37 -0500

They'll get you money one way or another (already embedded of the cost).

Just like my hotel, 15% svc charge added on top of the hotel cost. What do
you thing service charge is?

This may be of topic, but it is really amazed me that people don't
contribute 10% to Churches and temple regularly for a better cause, but very
loosely tipped at restaurant at 15%-120% very regularly no question ask.

BR

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Parkop Kisokau
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 9:04 AM
To: Ben Campbell
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [79attendees] Discover China - Tipping

Parkop

---

From: Hongyu Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 09:42:24 +0800

I'd say no tips in China, especially in the mainland. Service charges may be
included in the price. Generally, the rule for the servants is not to accept
the tip. So, don't try to embarrass them.

Sometime Taxi drivers may round up if they don't have changes, it's not
taken as tip though.

Hongyu

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Chak Chau
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 11:39 PM
To: 'Parkop Kisokau'; 'Ben Campbell'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [79attendees] Discover China - Tipping

BR

  _____  

Parkop

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 20:52:23 -0700

On Oct 29, 2010, at 6:42 PM, Hongyu Li wrote:

> Sometime Taxi drivers may round up if they don’t have changes, it’s not taken as tip though.

BTW, you will find taxis very cheap in China. The one thing you want to do is a bit of planning - go to the hotel concierge and have them write the name and address of the hotel and of any destinations you may have on a sheet of paper. It makes communicating with the driver much simpler.

---

From: Yi Zhao <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 08:23:15 -0500

No tipping in the hotel (10 -15% service charges already added). However, if
you give tips to the hotel staff helping you on luggage, in general they
accept.

Restaurant, no tipping. But most high-end restaurants have 15% service
charge added. 

Taxi, no tipping. If you tip or roundup, most of time the drivers are happy
to accept.

Yi

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Sean Turner
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 7:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [79attendees] Discover China - Tipping

spt

---

From: YAO Jiankang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 09:20:37 +0800

in general, if there is tips or service fee, it will be on the price list of the hotel or restaurant.
otherwise, you do not need to give them tips or service fees.

BTW, China is a cash country.  TAXI or smal restaurant need cash only.
so you'd better prepare Chinese money RMB beforehand.

Jiankang Yao

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 09:50:05 +0800

[ apologies that humor does not really transport well at any layer ]

i suspect non-americans might be amused at a sign on 'tip jars' (places
next to a cash register to leave tips) occasionally seen in the states:

   "Tipping is not a city in China"

meaning, please leave a tip.

randy