Subject: [79attendees] sun, moon, earth and heaven?

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 15:29:58 -0400

In Beijing I hope to have time to visit the temples of Sun, Moon, Earth
and Heaven.  Traditionally, is there a proper order in which to visit them?

Thanks ... Scott

p.s.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Temple_of_Earth
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Temple_of_Heaven
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Temple_of_the_Sun
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Temple_of_the_Moon_%28China%29

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/citylife/2007-07/10/content_5424457.htm

---

From: Hongyu Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 09:30:56 +0800

They are for different purposes and there is no obvious time relationship
between them. Temple of Heaven is the biggest one and temple of Earth is the
second biggest one among them.

Hongyu

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Scott Brim
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 3:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [79attendees] sun, moon, earth and heaven?

Thanks ... Scott

p.s.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Temple_of_Earth
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Temple_of_Heaven
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Temple_of_the_Sun
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Temple_of_the_Moon_%28China%2
9

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/citylife/2007-07/10/content_5424457.htm
_______________________________________________
79attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/79attendees

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 09:43:26 +0800

adding more,

the best order will depends on traffic condition, if you take a taxi,
based on clockwise order on the map would be fine.
Heaven could be the last one, it will have the best memory.

-Hui
2010/11/1 Hongyu Li <[email-masked]>

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 21:51:21 -0400

Thanks. I can't do them in one day so I will do them opportunistically.
Based on piggybacking them onto other meetings I believe I will end up going
counterclockwise: sun, earth, moon, heaven.

On Oct 31, 2010 9:43 PM, "Hui Deng" <[email-masked]> wrote:

adding more,

-Hui

> between them. Templ...

---

From: Xiangsong Cui <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 10:07:27 +0800

Hi Scott,

you seem to understand China well :)

There are five temples in Beijing, in fact. They are temple of Heaven
(south), Earth (north), Sun (east), Moon (west) and Sheji (社稷, Sheji means
country in Chinese, it lies in the center). Temple of Sheji lies in
Zhongshan park, which is near to Forbidden City.

In Chinese traditional culture, the heaven is rounded and the earth is
quadrate, so the main building in temple of Heaven is rounded, while the
main building in Temple of Earth is quadrate. On the other hand, the heaven
is male and the earth is female, so the amount of stone of altar is also
different, (Heaven is odd, while earth is even).

Unfortunately, some temples are destroyed, only the Temple of Heaven is
still beautiful and palatial ...

Regards,
Xiangsong

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Scott Brim

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 22:58:18 -0400

> and Heaven.  Traditionally, is there a proper order in which to visit them?

For the Emperor, there were prescribed rites at certain times of year at various locations. For example. the Emperor had
rites at the Winter Solstice at the Temple of Heaven.

Unless you have Imperial connections I am unaware of, for you, no.

Regards
Marshall

> http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/citylife/2007-07/10/content_5424457.htm

Marshall Eubanks
CTO / Iformata Communications
[email-masked]
+1-703-501-4376

This communication (including any attachments) contains privileged or confidential information of Iformata LLC and is intended for a specific individual.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this communication, including any attachments without reading or saving them in any manner, and you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this communication, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited; if you received this in error please notify me immediately by replying to this message stating you received it in error.