Subject: [79attendees] Counterfeit money/currency warning

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 23:23:01 -0400 (EDT)

Yesterday I saw a fake 100 RMB note, and I was warned that counterfeit 
bills are a problem in Beijing.

Features to look for on real bills include raised ink in Mao's hair 
and collar, raised ink on the squiggly lines on the right, the 
demonination printed in color-changing ink, and a real watermark.

The fake bill I saw had ink that had faded after folding the paper and 
the "watermark" was faintly printed with normal ink, so it was visible 
all of the time.  The metal strip, though, was convincing at first 
glance.  If you fold the bills so the ends touch, the scrollwork at 
the top of real bills should line up perfectly.  The fake bill's 
scrollwork did not line up.

I was cautioned to be very careful with the change given by taxi 
drivers.  Trying to pay with exact change may be prudent.

-- Sam

---

From: Huub van Helvoort <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 05:47:04 +0200

FYI:

> Features to look for on real bills include raised ink in Mao's hair and
> collar, raised ink on the squiggly lines on the right, the demonination
> printed in color-changing ink, and a real watermark.
>
> glance. If you fold the bills so the ends touch, the scrollwork at the
> top of real bills should line up perfectly. The fake bill's scrollwork
> did not line up.

Here is a picture of such a note:
Also most fake notes serial number starts with HD90.

Regards, Huub （高明）.

-- 
================================================================
Always remember that you are unique...just like everyone else...

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 17:13:07 +0800

Hello all

100RMB is the highest currency in China, so you won't
get it from taxi driver since you can't pay 1000RMB(it does't exist)

I live in Beijing, until today, I haven't get any faked 100RMB including
currency lower than 100.
but I did get one (in my life) from one city, south part of China.
The below way which Samuel and Hubb recommended does work,
but today I only get 100RMB from ATM machines,
and never verify them suppose I believe bank.

Regards,

-Hui

2010/10/14 Huub van Helvoort <[email-masked]>

> _______________________________________________
> 79attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/79attendees
>

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 08:13:05 -0700 (PDT)

I made a card which is more or less "pocket sized" and
gives approximate exchange values for RMB and USD.

Hope you find it useful (and that the values won't change too much 
between now and IETF 79 :-)

http://www.yikes.com/~ole/store/RMB-cheat-USD.pdf

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

---

From: Ed Jankiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:35:23 -0400

several web sites provide up-to-date quotes on international 
currency.  I usually go to http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ 
right before a trip and print out a cheat sheet.  There are many other 
good sites like this.  In my experience, the retail exchange rate varies 
depending on transaction fees, but the +4% typical cash rate is a good 
approximation if you are trying to figure out what something is costing 
you in home currency equivalent.

also, plenty of "how-to" sites describing the security features of CNY 
notes.
http://www.suite101.com/content/chinese-money-its-easy-to-tell-if-its-real-a167068 

http://www.xian-travel.com/china-travel-guides/chinesemoney/

Knowledge is power, always research the local currency when traveling to 
a new destination.  It should be obvious to frequent travelers that this 
is a global issue, and you can get stuck even in your own country, and 
it's a game of "hot potato"
http://consumerist.com/2010/09/bank-tries-to-pass-the-fake-buck-back-to-customer.html

-- 
Ed Jankiewicz - SRI International
Fort Monmouth Branch Office - IPv6 Research
Supporting DISA Standards Engineering Branch
732-389-1003 or  [email-masked]

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:33:33 -0700 (PDT)

There are certainly many good websites, apps and other tools that 
offer more precise answers than this card. If you use an iPhone or 
iPad, I can recommend iCurrency Pad. For the Mac I love Currency 
Assistant by MaBaSoft.

The card is intended to be a mental arithmetic aid. It is not intended 
to give you precise answer. The author assumes no responsibility for 
errors due to typos, currency fluctuations, rounding, exchange fees 
and markups or the inability for this card to fit in your particular 
wallet (hint: use "Page Setup" or its equivalent).

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 13:35:07 -0400

At 12:33 PM 10/14/2010, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
>...The author assumes no responsibility for
(hint2: 67% down-scale will produce a US credit-card-sized version)

thanks Ole,
Al