Subject: Re: [79attendees] Great Wall

From: Abhishek Verma <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 05:34:25 +0530

I found a nice site that lists all the must-visit places in Beijing.

http://www.tour-beijing.com/top_10_must_see_attractions_in_beijing/

I definitely plan to cover:

Great Wall, Forbidden City and the Tiananmen Square.

Is there a local transport being arranged by the hosts as is generally
done in other IETFs?

Abhishek

---

From: Tina TSOU <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 11:51:53 +0800

Hi Abhishek,
See

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tsou-ietf79-discover-china-00#page-17

4.1.2.  The Great Wall

[snipped]

"In Beijing, two regular Great Wall scenic sites (Badaling and Mutian
    Valley) are secure, also very famous.

    The following information of journey is supplied by the Shangri-La
    Hotel.

    1.  Hotel vehicle: Audi vehicle holding 3 passengers, RMB2000/round
        trip.  Buick vehicle holding 6 passengers, RMB2800/round trip.
        Costner holding 20 passengers, RMB2800/round trip.  Hotel
        vehicle's expense may enter to the room account.

    2.  Travel agency chartered car: Red flag vehicle holding 3
        passengers, RMB900/round trip.  Mercedes-Benz van holding 12
        passengers, RMB1500/round trip.  The travel agency chartered car
        needs payment in cash.

    The above prices do not include a tour guide.  An English-speaking
tour guide costs RMB100/every hour (cash), plus the cost of  
transportation as given above.
"

B. R.
Tina
http://tinatsou.weebly.com

On Oct 10, 2010, at 8:04 AM, Abhishek Verma wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 79attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/79attendees

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 19:14:15 -0400

Miao Fuyou allegedly wrote on 09/21/2010 02:32 EDT:
> Nobody recommend Summer Palace yet. From my PoV, Forbidden City, Great
> Wall and Summer Palace are the top 3 must-sees in Beijing. The picture
> currently at the main page of IETF is its one view. It's a great place
> to learn Chinese art on garden and architecure, history of Ching
> Dynasty, and even religion.

Agree.  And take your time there.  Wander the hillside.  Get a boat and
paddle around the lake (I have not done that but I would like to).

---

From: Xiangsong Cui <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:19:35 +0800

There is a long corridor with beautiful painting telling many many Chinese
traditional stories, hope you like them.
Another point I want to tell is, maybe like its name, November is not the
best time for Summer Palace, it is a bit cold. 
And I want to recommend Temple of Heaven, which is often taken as the symbol
of Beijing tour, as you know, the Great Wall is usually taken as the symbol
of China.

Regards,
Xiangsong

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of Scott Brim
> Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:14 AM
> To: Miao Fuyou
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [79attendees] Great Wall
>

---

From: Sebastian Castro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 15:50:39 +1300

> best time for Summer Palace, it is a bit cold. 

I visited the Summer Palace last November thanks to CNNIC, and the view
was not the best. It was cold and misty, providing a gloomy environment.
The place but itself is impressive, but you can enjoy all its
magnificence due to the weather.

If you want to check how it did look like, feel free to check the
following photo album

http://picasaweb.google.com/sebastian.castro/BeijingSummerPalaceNov2009#

Unfortunately I'll be missing this IETF meeting due to work reasons.

> of Beijing tour, as you know, the Great Wall is usually taken as the symbol

cheers,

-- 
Sebastian Castro
DNS Specialist
.nz Registry Services (New Zealand Domain Name Registry Limited)
desk: +64 4 495 2337
mobile: +64 21 400535