Subject: [92attendees] Dart tickets

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 18:28:42 -0400

Be warned: DART ticket machines at terminal A are not chip/pin enabled,
won't take my cards.  Won't take bills. (Wants coins... ) One machine says
it is "sold out". GoPass app looks awesome, but never got an SMS to me to
validate me.
Took a chance without a ticket.
If u don't see me, please come bail me out.

---

From: John Dowdell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 22:55:16 +0000

I found that you need to put the bills in as it shows in the picture on the
machine. Put them in upside down or round the wrong way and the bill is
rejected.

---

From: Peter Yee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 19:20:11 -0500

About 2 hours ago, one machine said "sold out". The other said coin or cards only, but would not take cards - chip and non-chip cards from two U.S. banks would read but could not complete the transaction. The GoPass app bailed everyone's butt out and it did take my credit card without a problem. 

                                -Peter

On Mar 22, 2015, at 5:55 PM, John Dowdell <[email-masked]> wrote:

I found that you need to put the bills in as it shows in the picture on the machine. Put them in upside down or round the wrong way and the bill is rejected.

> Be warned: DART ticket machines at terminal A are not chip/pin enabled, won't take my cards.  Won't take bills. (Wants coins... ) One machine says it is "sold out". GoPass app looks awesome, but never got an SMS to me to validate me. 

_______________________________________________
92attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/92attendees

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 23:59:24 -0400

Michael Richardson <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > Be warned: DART ticket machines at terminal A are not chip/pin
    > enabled, won't take my cards. Won't take bills. (Wants coins... ) One
    > machine says it is "sold out". GoPass app looks awesome, but never got
    > an SMS to me to validate me. 

The fare enforcement person was actually very helpful.
The ticket machines were really out of paper.   A Shanghai graduate physics
student studying at Uof Oklahoma couldn't load the app on his phone, likely
due to a localization conflict, and I couldn't receive SMS, but he could, so
between us we were able to purchase two tickets.

-- 
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 00:00:40 -0400

John Dowdell <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > I found that you need to put the bills in as it shows in the picture
    > on the machine. Put them in upside down or round the wrong way and the
    > bill is rejected.

On the machine that wasn't actually complaining about being out of tickets
the door to the cash scanner wouldn't even open, and the display said, "Pay
with coins"