Subject: [92attendees] Getting around downtown

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 22:25:12 -0500

We spent the day yesterday exploring the area around the Fairmont 
without a car (this is unusual behavior in most of this metroplex).

It worked out really well.

We were able to walk to the Gingerman (a pub some may remember from last 
time) in a little more than half an hour, and that was with a lot of 
stopping for things like looking at all the food trucks in the Klyde 
Warren park (which is 5m from the hotel) and the crazy trendy new 
restaurants up on McKinney street.

Walking south to main gets you to places like the iron cactus in under 
10 minutes. We didn't walk to the west end, but it would be easy.

We also tried Uber to get out of the range we were willing to walk - a 
ride from the Gingerman over to Competitive Camera (a place just a 
little further away from downtown than the hotel we were at the last 
time the IETF was here) was about $6, and the wait for a car to show up 
was under 3 minutes. The cars were as good as what I've gotten in other 
cities, and the drivers were excellent.

The Dart worked well for us (we took it into downtown from Plano, and 
back). It can be used to get to a lot of interesting places going north 
on the Red line in particular (City Place, and Mockingbird Station, both 
of which have good restaurants and pubs if the downtown scene isn't 
doing it for you. Day passes are $5 for that range). The Ackard station 
is 4 intersections south of the hotel, an easy walk. Carting luggage 
along it would be doable, but certainly not as fun (it's shorter than 
the distance from Paddington station to the Hilton in London though).

I did note that some of the sidewalks are narrow, and especially as you 
get north of the Woodall Rogers, they can be uneven (disrupted by tree 
roots underneath).

RjS

---

From: Oleksandr Tsaruk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 11:31:02 +0200

Thank U Robert!
Will try to track your route during meeting week!
Rgrds
Oleksandr
Ukraine

Yours sincerely,
Oleksandr Tsaruk, Ph.D.

2015-03-09 5:25 GMT+02:00 Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>:

> We spent the day yesterday exploring the area around the Fairmont without
> a car (this is unusual behavior in most of this metroplex).
>
> stopping for things like looking at all the food trucks in the Klyde Warren
> park (which is 5m from the hotel) and the crazy trendy new restaurants up
> on McKinney street.
>
> Walking south to main gets you to places like the iron cactus in under 10
> minutes. We didn't walk to the west end, but it would be easy.
>
> ride from the Gingerman over to Competitive Camera (a place just a little
> further away from downtown than the hotel we were at the last time the IETF
> was here) was about $6, and the wait for a car to show up was under 3
> minutes. The cars were as good as what I've gotten in other cities, and the
> drivers were excellent.
>
> back). It can be used to get to a lot of interesting places going north on
> the Red line in particular (City Place, and Mockingbird Station, both of
> which have good restaurants and pubs if the downtown scene isn't doing it
> for you. Day passes are $5 for that range). The Ackard station is 4
> intersections south of the hotel, an easy walk. Carting luggage along it
> would be doable, but certainly not as fun (it's shorter than the distance
> from Paddington station to the Hilton in London though).
>
> _______________________________________________
> 92attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/92attendees
>