Subject: [92attendees] Interview request for IRTF research into human rights and protocols

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 12:55:16 -0500

Dear IETF92 participants,

We would like to invite you to consider taking part in an interview as
part of our research into human rights protocol considerations, in the
framework of our proposed research group in the IRTF. Our research
aims to establish whether there are relations between human rights and
Internet protocols, In a manner similar to the work done for RFC 6973
on Privacy Consideration Guidelines, the premise of this research is
that some standards and protocols can solidify, enable or threaten
user rights. For this research we have written an Internet Draft [0],
of which the previous version was presented at the SAAG at IETF91 in
Honolulu.

Our methodology is to study RFCs to identify specific parts of
protocols and standards that impact human rights. As was suggested
during the presentation in Honolulu, studying RFCs alone is not
sufficient to understand the perceptions and motivations on this issue
in the community. Therefore, we would like to interview long time
members of the community and RFC authors and past/present working
group chairs to get a deeper insight into this.

That's why we would like to invite participants to IETF92 for 30
minutes interviews in Dallas. If you are willing to participate and
have a time-slot, please share your availability directly with us  by
sending us an email, or by signing in for a time slot in this
spreadsheet (with your name and email address):
https://ethercalc.org/IETFDallasinterviews

We would like to film these interviews for research purpose. In
addition to using the dialogue in the writing of the research paper
about this and further developing the ID [0],  we would like to edit
the footage into a short film which could attract more participation
in the proposed IRTF WG on this issue. Of course there will be an
authorization form on which interviewees can indicate that they prefer
this footage not to be published, so then the footage will be solely
used for research purposes.

We hope that we can benefit from your expertise, experience and
opinions. Please come and tell us what you think.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Niels & Joana

PS Sorry for cross-posting.

[0] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-doria-hrpc-proposal

- -- 
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9