Subject: [94attendees] Power outlets (grounded/ungrounded)

From: Joachim Fabini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 19:04:13 +0100

Reading http://ietf94.jp/essentials/ I wonder whether the conference
hotels (Intercontinental, Sakuragicho Washington, Navios) and IETF venue
(Pacifico) offer grounded plugs or ungrounded ones.
At home they had only a CEE/US power plug adapter with grounding pin in
stock. If the conference premises offers only 2-blade (non-grounded)
outlets I think of getting rid of the grounding pin as long as I have
adequate tools available...

thanks in advance
Joachim

---

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 16:04:11 -0400

You can also get three-plug to two-plug converters with a little
grounding tab (meant to be secured into the screw that keeps the
outlet plate on the wall)... I'll bring a few of these. best, Joe

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Joachim Fabini
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 94attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/94attendees

-- 
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist
Center for Democracy & Technology
1634 I ST NW STE 1100
Washington DC 20006-4011
(p) 202-407-8825
(f) 202-637-0968
[email-masked]
PGP: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 07:01:29 +0900

> adequate tools available...

in general in the tokyo area, it's about 50/50, maybe less grounded.

randy

---

From: NAKAMURA Motonori <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 07:31:49 +0900

You can purchase a 3p-2p plug adapter at around 200 JPY.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?field-keywords=3p+2p+adapter

(With translator:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ja&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.jp%2Fs%2Fref%3Dnb_sb_noss%3Ffield-keywords%3D3p%2B2p%2Badapter&edit-text=
)

You can find out nearest big electronic stores using the following
keywords for example on the google map (in English mode):

"appliance store nojima"
"appliance store yodobashi camera"
"appliance store bic camera"

Nojima Minato-Mirai may be convenient from the venue.
http://www.nojima.co.jp/shop/kanagawa/markis_minatomirai.html

Best,
- motonori

>> adequate tools available...

---
Motonori NAKAMURA <[email-masked]>
National Institute of Informatics, JAPAN

---

From: Joachim Fabini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 13:32:13 +0100

Thanks to all who replied. In Sakuragicho Washington Hotel all outlets
in my room are non-grounded, 2-blade. The hotel desk provided me with a
2-blade adapter for CEE plugs (deposit 500 JPY to be refunded on
check-out when returning the adapter). However, I purchased one today,
so if someone else staying at SWH is in need of such an adapter I could
return it earlier.

Side-note: I can recommend Yodobashi camera close to the Yokohama
central station whenever someone needs camera or other electronic
equipment. They have many camera accessories on stock (in particular a
step-up adapter that I needed for my lens/filter).

Joachim