Subject: [94attendees] experiences arriving

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 05:56:57 -0400

1) there are three signatures on your immigration form, three checkboxes,
   and they ask how much cash you have.
   If you don't sign enough, you might lose your spot in line.

2) Fourth floor post-office for my NTT Docomo SIM card, and I was able to
   sign. Just keep asking information for directions.

3) down to 1B for the train.  I didn't figure out where to buy a Suica card,
   and at first I thought the machines would only take that, but the CC
   fits into the same slot as suica.  Dispensing the ticket took awhile
   (a minute or so)    I thought it wasn't going to return my CC...
   [I still do not have a Suica...]

4) Got on train, did dance with SIM card, and my phone already had the 
   right APN.  I tried the v4v6 APN, no luck on a v6 address.

5) wifi on train, requires a subscription.
   seems to have a public /23...
       inet addr:119.107.240.13  Bcast:119.107.241.255  Mask:255.255.254.0
   and my phone got a public ipv4 too.   So lots of IPv4 available
   in the land that did IPv6 first :-)

sending this tethered to my phone.

-- 
Michael Richardson
-on the road-

---

From: "Somers-Harris, David | David | OPS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 11:59:54 +0000

>   in the land that did IPv6 first :-)
Mind you, this is also the land which did CGN first ;)

> On 2015/10/31, at 20:56, "Michael Richardson" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 94attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/94attendees

---

From: NAKAMURA Motonori <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 22:35:36 +0900

There are many types of ticket vending machines at JR stations.
You can get a SUICA card from the following two types at least, I think.

- With "Commuter Pass" notation
http://r113.web.fc2.com/p/sta-machine/jre/kenbai-jrem-ec3.jpg

- With "Card" notation
http://r113.web.fc2.com/p/sta-machine/jre/kenbai-jrem-em10.jpg

On 2015/10/31 18:56, Michael Richardson wrote:

> 3) down to 1B for the train.  I didn't figure out where to buy a
> Suica card, and at first I thought the machines would only take
> that, but the CC fits into the same slot as suica.  Dispensing the
> ticket took awhile (a minute or so)    I thought it wasn't going to
> return my CC... [I still do not have a Suica...]

Best,
---
Motonori NAKAMURA <[email-masked]>
National Institute of Informatics, JAPAN

---

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 22:55:04 +0900

> http://r113.web.fc2.com/p/sta-machine/jre/kenbai-jrem-em10.jpg
Yes. It's supposedly possible to buy Suica card at every major JR East
stations (http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html). The nearest one
considered major seems to be very close. I managed to buy Suica at
Sakuragicho station in one of those two machines mentioned, around 7-8
minutes walk from Intercontinental.

A word of advice: there are two types of Suica cards: Suica,  which
seems to be anonymous (modulo the cameras that could possibly correlate
your transactions with your face) and MySuica (that requires disclosing
your name, sex, email, phone # and I think two more). They advertise it
as better, because they can send your card back to you if you happen to
lose it. *cough*

You can buy them from 1000 yen (500 deposit + 500 balance) up to 10.000 yen.

Tomek

---

From: Seun Ojedeji <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 15:27:47 +0100

Hi,

A few additional experience sharing

- Plan for 10 - 15min more if you are black and young(could be a
coincidence) as you get asked more questions and more luggage checking.
Took about 45min total to get clear immigration and custom

- There is Forex bureau on the ground floor, be sure you fill the form
before getting to the front so as not to loose your spot.

- The Airport Limousine bus was superb, ticket purchase is done on the
ground floor, tell them what hotel you are heading and they tell you next
available departure and provide alternative if timing is not favorable. I
took that of 8pm, was prompt and dropped me off directly at Yokohama Bay
Hotel Tokyo

- Bus ride to hotel took about 130min with no traffic on the road, good for
brief sight-seeing quite difficult to take pictures from the bus because
there was always something above us (like bridge) blocking a clear LOS for
good picture.

Cheers!

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Seun Ojedeji,Federal University Oye-Ekitiweb:      http://www.fuoye.edu.ng
<http://www.fuoye.edu.ng> Mobile: +2348035233535**alt email:
<http://goog_1872880453>[email-masked]
<[email-masked]>*

Bringing another down does not take you up - think about your action!

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2015 03:56:42 +0900

> Mind you, this is also the land which did CGN first ;)

and with NGN thereby seriously damaged ipv6 deployment.  lorenzo can
explain in horrid detail if he can keep from having a heart attack.

randy

---

From: Eric Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 06:51:18 +0900

I bought one "anonymous" Suica card after arriving at NRT yesterday.  Just
go to JR East's ticket center on the B1 floor (arrival is on 1st floor so
take the escalator down).  The JR East ticket counter has red decorations.
Don't go to other train ticket counters as they don't sell it.

-Eric

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 08:41:25 +0900

FYI, you can buy “PASMO” cards from a machine in the Minatomirai subway station (the one nearest the IETF).  As far as I can tell, PASMO and Suica cards are functionally equivalent, at least in this part of Japan.

	Ross.

---

From: "John Chand [[email-masked]]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 08:43:35 +0900

I got a Suica card yesterday and was easy to travel in the train around Yokohama and Tokyo. 

Regards
John Chand

> On 1 Nov 2015, at 8:41 AM, Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2015 08:51:39 +0900

> PASMO and Suica cards are functionally equivalent

but suica has a penguin!

---

From: Tomáš Čejka <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2015 08:54:51 +0900

>> PASMO and Suica cards are functionally equivalent

+1 :-D

That's why I'm proud I have one ;-)

Tomas

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 00:34:31 +0000

And I got my PASMO card from a Keisei ticket machine at Narita
airport w/cash - it took some patience to personalize the PASMO
card, but having my name printed on it is a nice touch (YMMV).

The reason for Keisei is that I took the Keisei Skyliner train
from Narita and the JR Tokaido line to Yokohama from Ueno station
in Tokyo. That takes about the same amount of time, has a cheaper
fare, and feels more like being in Japan to me than the JR Narita
Express, but the Tokaido line has subway-style seating/standing
(unless one pays a Green Car surcharge).

OTOH, Skyliner+JR is NOT RECOMMENDED unless you’re already familiar
with using JR (e.g., JR Ueno station is a maze).  My Kesei-issued
PASMO worked fine on both JR and the Minatomirai (Tokyu-operated)
subway.  I bought the Skyliner ticket directly from the Kesei
ticket counter and then purchased the PASMO card from a ticket
machine.

Thanks,
--David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: 94attendees [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ross
> Finlayson
> Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2015 7:41 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [94attendees] Getting Suica card
> 
> FYI, you can buy “PASMO” cards from a machine in the Minatomirai subway
> station (the one nearest the IETF).  As far as I can tell, PASMO and Suica
> cards are functionally equivalent, at least in this part of Japan.
> 
> 	Ross.
>