Subject: Re: [94attendees] [94all] Social Event Information

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 05:03:15 +0000

> On Nov 3, 2015, at 1:38 PM, IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Event Opening:  "Kagami-biraki"（鏡開き）:
> 	Kagami-biraki" is a ceremony performed to open events - breaking open a
> 	cask of sake with wooden mallets as a representation of harmony and
> 	good fortune.
> 	http://www.gekkeikan.co.jp/english/products/kagami-biraki.html

So, to demonstrate harmony and good fortune, we break something.

Hmm...

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 14:09:06 +0900

> On 3 Nov 2015, at 2:03 PM, Fred Baker (fred) <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 

With a mallet.

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 05:11:22 +0000

Read the link.  The emphasis is really "open the sake, everyone drink"

Sounds like an EXCELLENT way to celebrate harmony and good fortune, and camaraderie as well :)

---

From: "Somers-Harris, David | David | OPS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 05:14:33 +0000

>> So, to demonstrate harmony and good fortune, we break something.

I think you will find it to be a much more civilized affair than that which is betrayed by the sensibilities of your imagination.

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 14:19:33 +0900

> On 3 Nov 2015, at 2:14 PM, Somers-Harris, David | David | OPS <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Too bad. In my imagination it’s a lot of fun.

---

From: "Somers-Harris, David | David | OPS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 05:20:50 +0000

>Too bad. In my imagination it’s a lot of fun.

Don't worry, my statement only holds until the sake starts flowing ;)

---

From: Michael Graff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 05:41:47 +0000

On Nov 3, 2015, at 2:03 PM, Fred Baker (fred) <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

If a single sentence could summarize the IETF…  This is it :)

---

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 20:38:52 -0800

IETF 94
Yokohama, Japan
November 1-6, 2015
Host: WIDE

Information for this evening's Social Event.  
http://ietf94.jp/social-event/

November 3 is “Culture Day” (文化の日) in Japan, a national holiday
held annually for the purpose of promoting culture and the arts. The
IETF Social Event provides attendees with a chance to experience the
food, tradition and entertainment culture of Japan first hand.

Place and Time:
	The Yokohama Bay Hotel Tokyu
	http://ybht.co.jp/en/access.php
	B2F Queen's Grand Ballroom | 19:00-21:30

	The hotel is a 2-3 min. walk from Pacifico Yokohama. 
	Enter the hotel from the 2F of the Queen's Square Mall. 
	After entering the mall from the conference center, you will see the
	hotel entrance on the left.

Tickets:
	Please bring the ticket provided at the registration desk.
	The Social Event is sold out. No additional tickets will be available on site. 

Cuisine:
	A Japanese sake corner will allow you to taste over 30 different sake
	brands from all over the country. 
	
	In addition to the buffet menu, the hotel chefs will be on hand to
	specially prepare and serve sushi, tenpura and oden 
	(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oden). 

Attractions: 

	Koto Performance （琴演奏）
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koto_%28instrument%29
	Attendees will be welcomed to the venue with a koto performance.

	Tea Ceremony（茶道）
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_tea_ceremony
	Learn and experience the preparation and presentation of macha （抹茶）,
	Japanese powdered green tea.

	Amezaiku （飴細工）
	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amezaiku
	Try your hand at the traditional art of candy sculpting. 

	Kiri-e（切り絵）
	Kiri-e is a traditional Japanese method of paper cutting. We have
	invited a kiri-e artist to the social event to share skill and beauty 
	of this traditional art with attendees.

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 23:05:08 -0800

Coming to think of it, this is also a great reason to have one
of those air conditioning systems set to freeze that we always
get in these hotels/conference-centers: I love warm sake ;-)

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 05:11:22AM +0000, Salz, Rich wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 94attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/94attendees

---

From: Nat Sakimura <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 16:40:17 +0900

Let me just be a bit pedantic since I could not get hold of a ticket ;-).
It is 箏 and not 琴 I assume. The difference between them are that the former
has movable bridge (柱) while the later does not. So, if you have a chance,
go close to them and see those white bridges. Sometimes, you move them
around during the performance.

You might also be interested in the kind of "picks" (爪) they use. Ikuta
school uses a square one while Yamada school uses triangle ones. My bet is
that it is going to be Ikuta School style since it is a lot more popular
these days. (Note: Yamada school used to be more popular in eastern Japan
till about 70 years ago but the situation reversed now.)

There are difference in the timbre between the schools but yo probably
would not be able to tell unless they are played side-by-side.

Enjoy,

Nat Sakimura

-- 
Nat Sakimura (=nat)
Chairman, OpenID Foundation
http://nat.sakimura.org/
@_nat_en