Subject: [97attendees] Please make use of the glass elevators

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 21:24:25 +0900

As in many previous meetings that involve particularly tall buildings, 
those of us staying in the Conrad will frequently find ourselves 
stranded some 20 floors above the meeting we need to be in, waiting 
several minutes for an elevator to show up. Some of this is a simple 
traffic flow problem, but some of it appears to stem from people not 
noticing a critical and useful feature of this hotel.

There are six elevators that service the guest room floors, allowing 
people who stay here to get from their rooms to the meetings and vice-versa.

Perpendicular to the guest-room elevator bank, there are four nice, 
large glass elevators that service only the public (non-guest-room) 
levels of the hotel. On a casual observation, it would appear that these 
glass elevators are going largely unused, with most people choosing to 
use the guest-floor elevators to traverse among pubic floors.

I would propose that we could ameliorate the extremely long waits to get 
down from guest floors if people were to generally favor the glass 
elevators unless they are going to a guest floor. As a bonus, since you 
won't be competing with people trying to get to and from their hotel 
rooms, you'll probably get where you're going faster also.

/a

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 12:28:00 +0000

+1

For the more adventurous there are also stairs between some (all?) of the public floors.

Regards,

Christer

-----Original Message-----
From: 97attendees [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Adam Roach
Sent: 14 November 2016 14:24
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [97attendees] Please make use of the glass elevators

As in many previous meetings that involve particularly tall buildings, those of us staying in the Conrad will frequently find ourselves stranded some 20 floors above the meeting we need to be in, waiting several minutes for an elevator to show up. Some of this is a simple traffic flow problem, but some of it appears to stem from people not noticing a critical and useful feature of this hotel.

There are six elevators that service the guest room floors, allowing people who stay here to get from their rooms to the meetings and vice-versa.

Perpendicular to the guest-room elevator bank, there are four nice, large glass elevators that service only the public (non-guest-room) levels of the hotel. On a casual observation, it would appear that these glass elevators are going largely unused, with most people choosing to use the guest-floor elevators to traverse among pubic floors.

I would propose that we could ameliorate the extremely long waits to get down from guest floors if people were to generally favor the glass elevators unless they are going to a guest floor. As a bonus, since you won't be competing with people trying to get to and from their hotel rooms, you'll probably get where you're going faster also.

/a

_______________________________________________
97attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/97attendees

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 22:52:41 +0900

No. The stairs don’t reach the sixth floor where the “Studio” rooms are.

> On 14 Nov 2016, at 21:28, Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> +1
>

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 23:33:31 +0900

Adam Roach <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > There are six elevators that service the guest room floors, allowing people
    > who stay here to get from their rooms to the meetings and vice-versa.

    > Perpendicular to the guest-room elevator bank, there are four nice, large
    > glass elevators that service only the public (non-guest-room) levels of the
    > hotel. On a casual observation, it would appear that these glass elevators
    > are going largely unused, with most people choosing to use the guest-floor
    > elevators to traverse among pubic floors.

They aren't largely unused: they seem mostly congested, and there is some
difficulty figuring out which elevator is coming, because the "ding" light
often changes from while one is waiting.  People wait a long time for one,
and so people are multi-pathing and using the guest floor elevators, but
since we can't see the congestion queue 20floors up: we are doing ECMP, when
it should be more of a failover.

There must be stairs somewhere up to the 6th floor, for emergencies.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 15:33:37 +0000

So where are the stairs?  I looked before but couldn’t find them. 

I’d happily walk between 3/5/6 if I knew where they were…

Tim

> On 14 Nov 2016, at 13:52, Yoav Nir <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 07:16:23 +0900

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 03:33:37PM +0000,
 Tim Chown <[email-masked]> wrote 

> I’d happily walk between 3/5/6 if I knew where they were…

When you face the glass (outside) elevators, they are on your left, at
the edge of the building. They can be seen easily when you're in the
lobby, less so when you are at the 3 or 5 floor.

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 07:17:22 +0900

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 11:33:31PM +0900,
 Michael Richardson <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 63 lines which said:

> They aren't largely unused: they seem mostly congested, and there is
> some difficulty figuring out which elevator is coming, because the
> "ding" light often changes from while one is waiting.  People wait a
> long time for one,

Fully agree. The advice in the subject was quite misleading.

---

From: Jared Mauch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 17:28:57 -0500

> On Nov 14, 2016, at 5:17 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I’ve noticed the light comes on, but it’s not fixed until it’s flashing.  Some
floors the ding is not audible (e.g.: Lobby, 37) so one must be actively
polling your inputs vs waiting for interrupt to trigger event.

- Jared

---

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 07:49:23 +0900

> polling your inputs vs waiting for interrupt to trigger event.

The elevator scheduler engages in preemption as it receives additional
interrupts.

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 17:59:11 -0500

> polling your inputs vs waiting for interrupt to trigger event.

When I was trying to get to the 1:30 session from 6, both sets of elevators
were called and I stood at a place where I could watch both sets of lights;
it took about 5 minutes before the guestroom elevator arrived (started
blinking), so I abandoned the glass elevator bank.  I've taken the glass
elevators many times, but only successfully during non-congested times.

  Bill

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 08:11:34 +0900

The stairs are that lovely spiral staircase that's kind of in the
corner.   It is wide and comfortable.   I've been using it quite a
bit.