Subject: [97attendees] Room DNS not of high fidelity

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 10:01:53 +0900

Just as a warning --

The circuits in the hotel rooms (at least, as of Saturday morning) 
appear to be local circuits rather than the normal IETF infrastructure. 
Normally, this wouldn't be notable, but the DNS servers don't appear to 
necessarily be doing things correctly. I noticed this when I tried to go 
to http://www.homedepot.com this morning, and was greeted with an error 
message.

What's really odd is that the name "www.homedepot.com" was resolving to 
a Korean IP address (123.215.198.10). After bringing up my VPN, i was 
able to get to the correct web site just fine.

So if you're seeing strange behavior in the rooms, you probably want to 
either use a VPN or manually configure your DNS to use a known-good server.

/a

P.S. I suspect there's an object lesson in here about DNSSEC, but I'm 
not entirely sure what it is.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 13:05:26 +0900

> appear to be local circuits rather than the normal IETF
> infrastructure. Normally, this wouldn't be notable, but the DNS
> servers don't appear to necessarily be doing things correctly. I
> noticed this when I tried to go to http://www.homedepot.com this
> morning, and was greeted with an error message.

ticket, help desk, or noc please

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 13:12:01 +0900

bug.  being worked now.  affects all ietf wireless and (in-room too)
wired.

randy

---

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 13:16:36 +0900

can replicate.

The dns resolves to an akamai edge node in  locally in sk broadband's
netowork...

does not not appear that the dns is either incorrect or being manipulated.

On 11/12/16 10:01 AM, Adam Roach wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 97attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/97attendees

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 23:31:39 -0500

My DNS is in San Jose, so I get an Akamai node in San Jose, and it also
responds with "You don't have permission to access "
http://www.homedepot.com/" on this server."  tcptraceroute shows that there
is nothing transparently intercepting this traffic (unless it is a really
fantastic faker, letting the traffic travel through NTT to San Jose before
intercepting it).

To me this says that this is Akamai deciding that the IETF address space
should not access this url.

  Bill

---

From: Colin Doyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 04:32:56 +0000

Checking from other SK sources, it looks like a geo-block on Akamai’s head-end.

C
 
Colin Doyle in the NOC

On 11/12/16, 1:16 PM, "97attendees on behalf of joel jaeggli" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    can replicate.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 13:37:51 +0900

noc conclusion, joel quoting geoff

---

From: Richard Lamb <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 12:15:57 +0530

Nice graphic!  We built the 'net on other peoples pipes before.  Maybe
again? -Rick (x25, uupc, decnet, ipx stack writer)

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 10:25:13 +0900

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 10:01:53AM +0900,
 Adam Roach <[email-masked]> wrote 

> Just as a warning --

A relevant paper:

https://pierrekim.github.io/blog/2016-10-17-studying-the-internet-censorship-in-south-korea.html