Subject: [97attendees] Unusual sponsor for IETF

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 16:42:07 +0900

Will we have a demo? Live surgery during Bits-and-Bites?

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 17:19:15 +0900

Yeah, that was kind of a surprising sign to see outside of
registration.   But I guess it's attributable to the greying of the
IETF, and we just have to live with it... :)

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 4:42 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 97attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/97attendees
>

---

From: Michal Krsek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 17:20:50 +0900

We can provide you a lot of such as demos (including prosthatic, dental 
and so on) in 3D HD or 4K in Prague (as we are doing this for medical 
events), but be sure, you do NOT want to watch this content.

                     MK

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 17:54:36 +0100

You'd be surprised.

If memory serves me right, we had in the mid 90th lasik surgery
shown via Mbone, and a few years later my university stated this
remote live open heart surgery with remote consultation.

Heck, we should have done the IETF VPx vs. h26x codec contest with remote
live video surgery. Winner is where the patient survives the surgery
with the lowest bitrate.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 05:20:50PM +0900, Michal Krsek wrote:
> We can provide you a lot of such as demos (including prosthatic,
> dental and so on) in 3D HD or 4K in Prague (as we are doing this for
> medical events), but be sure, you do NOT want to watch this content.
> 
>                     MK
> 
> 

-- 
---
[email-masked]

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 03:05:59 +0900

> On 17 Nov 2016, at 01:54, Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> You'd be surprised.
> 

There were several surgery demos shown via the Mbone, as I recall. 

A project deliverable summarising one of them is at http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/multimedia/projects/merci/deliverables/d12.2/d12_2.html if anyone’s interested in the technology of the day (contains one screenshot, but it’s a monochrome capture from an H.261 video, so there’s little unpleasantness to see…)

Colin

-- 
Colin Perkins
https://csperkins.org/

---

From: Alexandre PETRESCU <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 11:03:00 +0900

Yes, live surgery on dummy subjects over the Internet was demonstrated 
in a transatlantic setting to illustrate the low-latency afforded by 
optical links new at that time.

But to clarify: the poster featured in this thread is a Korea 
advertisement, not a bits-and-bytes kind of sponsoring.  They advertise 
that to tell to come to Korea to do it here, because there are some 
advantages.  Today the advertisement is about stem cells and hearing 
aids - I have only seen it here.

Along the same lines: go to Hungary for dental matters - they are cheap 
and good.

Similarly, legislation differences also has it to prefer e.g. 
Switzerland, Belgium, America, for end-of-life matters, stem cell and 
pregnancy alternatives respectively.

Alex