Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: [New-work] WG Review: Recharter of Geographic Location/Privacy(geopriv)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 18:08:31 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of IESG Secretary
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 7:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [New-work] WG Review: Recharter of Geographic
Location/Privacy(geopriv)

A modified charter has been submitted for the Geographic
Location/Privacy
(geopriv) working group in the Real-time Applications and Infrastructure
Area of the IETF.  The IESG has not made any determination as yet.  The
modified charter is provided below for informational purposes only. 
Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by
Tuesday, June 16, 2009.

Geographic Location/Privacy (geopriv)
--------------------------------------
Last Modified: 2009-05-29

Chair(s):
- Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
- Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):
- Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
- Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
- Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
- Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/geopriv/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The IETF has recognized that many applications are emerging that require
geographic and civic location information about resources and entities,
and that the representation and transmission of that information has
significant privacy and security implications. We have created a suite
of protocols that allow such applications to represent and transmit such
location objects and to allow users to express policies on how these
representations are exposed and used. The IETF has also begun working on
creating applications that use these capabilities, for emergency
services, general real-time communication, and other usages.

The GEOPRIV working group is chartered to continue to develop and refine
representations of location in Internet protocols, and to analyze the
authorization, integrity, and privacy requirements that must be met when
these representations of location are created, stored, and used. The
group will create and refine mechanisms for the transmission of these
representations that address the requirements that have been identified.

The working group will work with other IETF working groups and other
standards development organizations that are building applications that
use location information to ensure that the requirements are well
understood and met, and that no additional security or privacy issues
related to location are left unaddressed as these location information
is incorporated into other protocols.

It remains a goal of the GEOPRIV working group to deliver specifications
of broad applicability that will become mandatory to implement for IETF
protocols that are location aware.

This working group will not develop location-determining technology.
However, the IETF acknowledges that information used in the location-
determination process will in some cases need to be carried over the
Internet. Where necessary, this working group will develop protocols or
protocol extensions to encode location-determination data structures
defined elsewhere. This working group will not develop technologies to
directly address any particular regulatory requirements (e.g. 9-1-1).
The group will continue to coordinate with any other IETF entities that
are working on those problems to ensure the technologies created here
meet the needs of those entities, and that the authorization, integrity,
and privacy requirements on the mechanisms provided by these
technologies continue to be met.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Discuss initial geopriv scenarios and application requirements 
     i-d's
Done Discuss initial geographic location privacy and security
     requirements i-d.
Done Initial i-d on geographic information protocol design, including
     privacy and security techniques.
Done Review charter and initial i-ds with AD, and have IESG consider
     rechartering if necessary.
Done Submit geopriv scenarios and application requirements to IESG for
     publication as Informational RFCs
Done Submit security/privacy requirements I-D to IESG for publication 
     As Informational RFC.
Done Submit PIDF-LO basic geopriv object draft as a PS Done Initial
Common Rules base object draft Done Initial Common Rules GEOPRIV object
draft Done Submit DHCP Civil draft as a PS Done Resubmit Conveying
Location Objects in RADIUS and Diameter to
     the IESG for publication as PS
Done Submit Additional Civic PIDF-LO types (updating 4119) to the
     IESG for publication as PS
Done Submit minimal HTTP based protocol satisfying baseline
     requirements specified in the Layer 7 Location Conveyance Protocol 
     Problem Statement and Requirements to the IESG for publication as 
     PS
Done Submit PIDF-LO Usage Clarifications and Recommendations
     (updating 4119) to the IESG for publication as PS Done Submit Layer
7 Location Conveyance Protocol Problem Statement
     and Requirements to the IESG for publication as Informational Done
Submit recommendations for representing civic addresses in
     PIDF-LO to the IESG for publication as BCP Done Submit
Recommendations for Retransmission in SIP Location
     Conveyance to the IESG for publication as Informational Done Submit
Requirements for Location by Reference Protocols to
     the IESG for publication as Informational Done Submit a LIS
Discovery Mechanism to the IESG for publication as a
     PS
Jun 2009 Resubmit Geolocation Policy to the IESG for publication as PS
Sep 2009 Submit an draft for DHCP geodetic location to the IESG for
     publication as PS to obsolete 3825
Sep 2009 Submit an Architecture for Location and Location Privacy
     to the IESG for publication as Informational Dec 2009 Submit a URI
scheme for directly expressing geodetic location
     to the IESG for publication as PS
Dec 2009 Submit a DHCP Option for a Location Uniform Resource
     Identifier (URI) to the IESG for publication as PS Dec 2009 Submit
a Document Format for Filtering and Reporting PIDF-LO
     Location Notifications to the IESG for publication as PS
_______________________________________________
New-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work