Subject: [abnf-discuss] Core-07, confused about <> and []

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 14:23:27 -0700

Great idea! I have found ABNF cross referencing confusing in the past!

     ---------------------------------------------------------------

In 3. it says in part .... "use the syntax rulename@REF"

Where are the [] or <> ?

It confused me a bit, should it be (as I understand the ABNF)

    ... rulename@[REF] or rulename@<REF> ?

     ---------------------------------------------------------------

Later... The <ref-doc> production is a document reference,

Confused me, because ref-doc used '[' ']' and not '<' '>'.

And in a few more places <releref>, <ref-doc>, and <rulename> is used.

Not sure how to change it, it is confusing if the <text> are examples 
(which I think they are not), or just used as an emphasis.

Not clear when '<' '>' (ref-path) will be used. "PATH" to me means file 
path. Was that the intent? And I do not understand how that relates to a 
MIME entity. Examples? When would a file path exist in an RFC, that 
contains ABNF?

     ---------------------------------------------------------------

-- 

Doug Royer - (http://DougRoyer.US)
[email-masked]
714-989-6135