Subject: Re: [Acme] I-D Action: draft-ietf-acme-email-smime-01.txt

From: "A. Schulze" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 21:18:21 +0100

Am 29.10.2017 um 19:02 schrieb [email-masked]:
>       Title           : Extensions to Automatic Certificate Management Environment for end user S/MIME certificates
>       Author          : Alexey Melnikov
> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-acme-email-smime-01.txt
> 	Pages           : 4
> 	Date            : 2017-10-29

> The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-acme-email-smime/

Hello,

I like to comment the questions (open issues section)

	1. Do we need to handle text/html or multipart/alternative in email
	   challenge?  Simplicity suggests "no".

I would vote for text/plain, but given the messages users send these days
I expect many do not even know there is something other then text/html
That may be a problem...

	2.  Do we need a proof that ACME client can submit email on behalf of
	    the user, not just read the challenge using IMAP?

Receiving a message is relevant if the certificates public key is used for encryption
A submitted email mean the certificated private key is used for signing.
Maybe that view help to answer the question (which I currently cannot :-/)

Andreas