Subject: [Acme] Clarify account creation

From: Jörn Heissler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 00:37:48 +0100

Hi,

I've got a few questions about account creation:

* https://ietf-wg-acme.github.io/acme/draft-ietf-acme-acme.html#rfc.section.7.3
  says that when an account was created, "The server returns this
  account object".

  Should this be the same response that a subsequent POST (empty update,
  §7.3.3) to the account URL should yield?

  - The example skips the "orders" key which is required (§7.1.2).
  - In the example there's a "Link" header. What's that for?

* If the account already exists, what should be returned in the body?
  Nothing? Or the full account object?

* If the account already exists and "onlyReturnExisting" was specified,
  what should be returned in the body?

* What happens when the account already exists and I send e.g. different
  "contact" addresses than there are in the existing account? Will my
  account be updated?

* Should it be allowed to send "onlyReturnExisting" along with other
  information, or should those be mutually exclusive?

Thanks,
Jörn

---

From: Jacob Hoffman-Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 18:31:03 -0800

>   §7.3.3) to the account URL should yield?

Yes.

>   - The example skips the "orders" key which is required (§7.1.2).

Whoops, that should be there (though dereferencing the orders URL will
get an empty list).

>   - In the example there's a "Link" header. What's that for?

It's a holdover from when almost every response had a link to the
directory. It should be removed.

>   Nothing? Or the full account object?

This is answered under 7.3.1. Finding an Account URL Given a Key, but
the name probably doesn't make that clear.

>   what should be returned in the body?

Empty body, I think. This should be added to 7.3.1.

>   "contact" addresses than there are in the existing account? Will my

Yep.

>   information, or should those be mutually exclusive?

I think these should be mutually exclusive. Would you send a PR with the
changes discussed above?