Subject: [Acme] Adoption of draft-sipos-acme-dtnnodeid

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 15:27:39 +0000

At IETF 108, we discussed https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sipos-acme-dtnnodeid/  The minutes of that discussion are below (thanks again Yaron)

Should we adopt this document?  At the meeting there was mild interest to do so.
Please reply by end of next week.

Brian Sipos on DTN (delay-tolerant networking) Draft

Roman: are DTN nodes on the public Internet? Or closed network?
Brian: no need for ACME if on a closed network. CA probably integrated in DTN.
Sites have gateway nodes into the open Internet. Connecting to a public (not
necessarily commercial) CA. Rick (DTN chair): are you offering to publish in
ACME as an Experimental doc, or keep it within DTN? Brian: intend to keep in
DTN. Use of URI validation is new to ACME. Rick: ACME is possibly a good way to
resolve existing IESG discusses. Can take it off-line. Roman: would ACME
servers have understanding of DTN identifiers? Brian: they would need to be DTN
nodes. Just like the ACME server that implements the SMTP validation draft. Use
case is inter-site DTN. Node is accepting bundles from other domains, lower
trust exists. Yoav: ACME servers are CAs. They are reluctant to provide service
to anything other than the normal web use case. Brian: no expectation of uptake
in generic ACME servers. Rich: precedent for non-web use cases [missed
specifics]. Rick: DTN is a small focused WG, not sure they have the bandwidth
to take it on. Would be happy if ACME does. Brian: and this is so similar to
SMTP. YN: hum? Roman: ask re: familiarity. YN: we know the answer. Hum: have
you read it? pianissimo. YN: will not ask on adoption. Alexey: ask who is
willing to review. Chat: Melinda, Russ, Rich, Alexey, Yoav. YN: let's read,
then maybe have a call for adoption.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 12:04:45 -0400

I read it and posted comments.  I think we should adopt the document as a starting point.

Russ

> On Aug 13, 2020, at 11:27 AM, Salz, Rich <rsalz=[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> At IETF 108, we discussed https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sipos-acme-dtnnodeid/ <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sipos-acme-dtnnodeid/>  The minutes of that discussion are below (thanks again Yaron)
>