Subject: [Acme] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC8555 (6364)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 04:34:53 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC8555,
"Automatic Certificate Management Environment (ACME)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6364

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Evangelos Karatsiolis <[email-masked]>

Section: 7.1.4

Original Text
-------------
   wildcard (optional, boolean):  This field MUST be present and true
      for authorizations created as a result of a newOrder request
      containing a DNS identifier with a value that was a wildcard
      domain name.  For other authorizations, it MUST be absent.
      Wildcard domain names are described in Section 7.1.3.

Corrected Text
--------------
   wildcard (optional, boolean):  This field MUST be present and true
      for authorizations created as a result of a newOrder request
      containing a DNS identifier with a value that was a wildcard
      domain name.  For other authorizations, it MUST be absent or
      false.  For pre-authorizations, it MUST be absent or false.
      Wildcard domain names are described in Section 7.1.3.

Notes
-----
This section states that the wildcard field must be absent for other authorizations, but the example in this section has an explicitly set wildcard field with value false. The proposed change allows both options, either omitting it or explicitly setting it to false. Also a sentence has been added to explicitly describe the behavior for pre-authorizations.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC8555 (draft-ietf-acme-acme-18)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Automatic Certificate Management Environment (ACME)
Publication Date    : March 2019
Author(s)           : R. Barnes, J. Hoffman-Andrews, D. McCarney, J. Kasten
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Automated Certificate Management Environment
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG