Subject: RE: [Adslmib] RFC3276 respin

From: Matt Beanland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:51:18 +1100

Hi,

Firstly, thanks to all those who were involved in RFC3276.

We would hope that a new draft would include a guide for implementing the
mib-2 if table, and specifically would clarify the following issue:

The difficulties we are having relate to the relationship between interfaces
and wirepairs. Convention is to have an ifIndex for each physical interface
(wirepair). When interfaces are being operated as multi-pair, should each
interface just implement one wirepair, or should the lowest interface just
implement all wirepairs?

Assuming the latter, then the training state for an individual wirepair is
missing (the ifOperStatus in the ifTable would give the operational state
for the entire line, not for each wirepair).

We are doing a 4-wire implementation and have extended the
hdsl2ShdslEndpointCurrTable (via our enterprise MIB) to add the
hdsl2ShdslEndpointCurrLineState item, so that we can see the line state for
each wirepair.

Also with multiple wirepairs, it would be nice to be able to determine if
wirepairs are swapped on a segment, although it is probably implementation
specific as to whether this capability exists.

Best Regards,

Matt

Extel Communications
399 Ferntree Gully Road, Mt Waverley, Victoria 3149, Australia
Ph: +613 8542 9259 Fax: +613 8542 9299

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Ray [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, 11 February 2004 9:43 AM
To: adslmib mail list
Subject: [Adslmib] RFC3276 respin

If ("IF") there were another spin on RFC3276, then, would the following
list of changes suffice to support g.shdsl.bis (from Clay's list)?

1. Hdsl2ShdslWirePair TC - add wirePair3(3) and wirePair4(4)
2. hdsl2ShdslSpanConfWireInterface - add sixWire(3) and eightWire(4)
3. hdsl2ShdslStatusMaxAttainableLineRate - remove the range limit
4. hdsl2ShdslStatusActualLineRate - remove the range limit
5. hdsl2ShdslSpanConfMinLineRate - remove the range limit
6. hdsl2ShdslSpanConfMaxLineRate - remove the range limit

Would these do it?  Would this be all?  Would this break any existing
implementations (at least of embedded agents)?  Would the above break
any management apps?  

It doesn't look like it would - it sure looks like any new devices
would simply have a "looser" range of values in 5 objects.

-- 
Bob Ray <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
Adslmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/adslmib

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------
The information contained in this message and any attachments is 
confidential and intended for the named recipient(s). If you have received
this message in error, please contact sender by return e-mail and 
destroy the message and any attachments. 
Any opinions or undertakings expressed in this message are those of the 
individual sender except where the sender expressly and with authority 
states them to be the opinions of Extel. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------