Subject: [Adslmib] FW: DSL Forum Liaison

From: "Michael Sneed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:55:58 -0500

Please see the attached liason from the DSL Forum.  The question now is, 
should this WG undertake work to generate MIBs for this.

Should anyone not be able to read .doc or .pdf files, please contact me and 
I'll attempt to convert to some readable format.

>From: "Peter Adams" <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>,<[email-masked]>
>Subject: DSL Forum Liaison
>Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:34:37 -0000
>
>Dear Mike and Bob,
>
>Following the completion of work on ADSL2 network element management at the 
>Orlando meeting (6 to 9 Dec 2004) of the DSL Forum there is attached a 
>liaison and a technical report.
>
>Best regards,
>
>
>Peter Adams
>
>DSL Forum Operations and Network Management Working Group Chair

_______________________________________________
Adslmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/adslmib

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:50:41 +0200

Hi Faye and all,

The need for a DIFFERENT model for the New Generation ADSL family was a
fundamental assumption in TR-90 of DSLF, as the document itself describes.
The reasons for that were mainly
- The number of DSL modes supported,
- The flexible number of channels supported
- The required support for STM and packet modes beside the existing ATM
mode
- The additional features specified

The TR-90 model has several major changes compared to RFC2662. For example
the profiles (configuration, thresholds) are more complex. There are "low"
level profiles that are then combined to "higher" level profiles, which we
call templates.

However, as the members of the DSLF NM&OP WG are also those who were
involved in creating RFC2662 we tried to preserve some concepts. The
operator still has to attach a single configuration profile and a single
thresholds profile to each line (as he/she does today) but those are now
called templates. Also, the DSL modes bitmap, the line status bitmap, the
inventory can be planned as backward compatible.

Hence, the chance of creating an SNMP MIB for the New Generation ADSL
family to be "as close as the existing RFC 2662" is probably very low.

Regards,
Moti Morgenstern

Senior Systems Engineer
ECI Telecoms Ltd.
Broadband Access Division
30 Hasivim St.
Petach Tikva, Israel 49517
Tel.: +972-3-9266258
Fax: +972-3-9287342
Cell: +972-54-5786258
e-mail: [email-masked]
www.ecitele.com

This transmission and any files attached to it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information and is intended only for the named recipient.   If
you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
re-transmission, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this information
is strictly prohibited.

                      "Faye Ly"                                                                                                        
                      <fayely@juniper.         To:      "Michael Sneed" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>                    
                      net>                     cc:                                                                                     
                      Sent by:                 Subject: RE: [Adslmib] FW: DSL Forum Liaison                                            
                      adslmib-bounces@                                                                                                 
                      ietf.org                                                                                                         

                      04/01/2005 20:14                                                                                                 

Mike,

I think a MIB is definitely needed as new flavors of ADSL are being
deployed.  I would recommend keep this new MIB as close as the existing
RFC 2662 as possible to maintain the consistency and make the EMS's job
easier.

Best,

-faye

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Michael Sneed
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 7:56 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Adslmib] FW: DSL Forum Liaison

Should anyone not be able to read .doc or .pdf files, please contact me
and
I'll attempt to convert to some readable format.