Subject: [alto] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-penno-alto-protocol-01

From: Richard Alimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:51:43 -0400

Hi All,

FYI, we have submitted a draft documenting our current work in merging the P4P 
and ALTO Info-Export protocols.

Comments are welcome!

-- 
Richard Alimi
Department of Computer Science
Yale University

------ Forwarded Message

A new version of I-D, draft-penno-alto-protocol-01.txt has been successfuly
submitted by Reinaldo Penno and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:  draft-penno-alto-protocol
Revision:  01
Title:   ALTO Protocol
Creation_date:  2009-03-09
WG ID:   Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 30

Abstract:
The ALTO Service enables an Internet Service Provider (ISP) to convey
cost preferences to network applications in order to modify network
resource consumption patterns while maintaining or improving
application performance.  Applications that could use this service
are those that have a choice in connection endpoints.  Examples of
such applications are peer-to-peer (P2P) and content delivery
networks.

Applications already have access to great amount of underlying
topology information.  For example, views of the Internet routing
table are easily available at looking glass servers and entirely
practical to download to every client.  What is missing is the cost
information -- what does an ISP or Content Provider actually prefer?

This document describes a very simple protocol that allows a ISP to
convey such information to applications.  While such service would
primarily be provided by the network (i.e., the local ISP).  Content
Provider and third parties could also operate this service.

The IETF Secretariat.