Subject: [alto] ALTO Discovery and draft-ietf-geopriv-lis-discovery

From: Matt Lepinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:18:04 -0400

Just wanted to quickly re-iterate a point that Martin Thomson had made 
during today's ALTO meeting.

GEOPRIV has been working (for well over a year) on the following problem:
"How does a device locate a server providing a given service that is 
topologically close (in a network topology sense) to the device"

In the case of GEOPRIV, the service in question is a 'Location 
Information Server (LIS)', but a believe that the problem of discovering 
a "local" (in a network topology sense) alto server has many similar 
challenges as the GEOPRIV discovery problem.

Based on my experience in GEOPRIV, I believe that getting this type of 
discovery to work well in all cases is quite hard (especially if one has 
security concerns regarding an attacker who may try to impersonate a 
legitimate provider of the service [be it ALTO or LIS]).

Currently, the work in GEOPRIV is still incomplete, but I would 
encourage anyone whose been thinking about ALTO discovery to read 
draft-ietf-geopriv-lis-discovery-08, and if you have any insights on how 
to improve the GEOPRIV document based on your experience with ALTO, 
please send comments to the GEOPRIV list (and the authors). Also, 
perhaps we can get several people who have been thinking about GEOPRIV 
discovery to review the ALTO discovery documents. (I'm happy to 
volunteer, though I'm definitely not as much of an expert on this topic 
as Martin and James, who I have been kind enough to CC <grin>).

- Matt Lepinski

---

From: Yu-Shun Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 15:44:40 -0700

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the advice. Also would like to point out that
we actually cited the GeoPriv work (though -07). So it is
on the list of more complete frameworks that we will look
into next.

Thanks,
yushun

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Matt Lepinski
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [alto] ALTO Discovery and draft-ietf-geopriv-lis-discovery

- Matt Lepinski

_______________________________________________
alto mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto

---

From: songhaibin 64081 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 07:26:53 +0800

Hi,

I think the discovery framework defined in that draft is quite interesting and has someting in common with draft-song-alto-server-discovery. We will look through that draft in detail. More feedback from the authors of draft-ietf-geopriv-lis-discovery is really appreciated.

----- 原邮件 -----
发件人: Yu-Shun Wang <[email-masked]>
日期: 星期五, 三月 27日, 2009 上午6:45
主题: Re: [alto] ALTO Discovery and draft-ietf-geopriv-lis-discovery
收件人: Matt Lepinski <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

> GEOPRIV has been working (for well over a year) on the following 
> problem:"How does a device locate a server providing a given 
> service that is