Subject: [alto] Requirements Qs

From: "Wright, Steven" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 02:51:53 -0500

I have been reading "draft-ietf-alto-reqs-01.txt" and had some questions
about the requirements here, particularly from an IPv4/IPv6 transition
perspective.

2.2.  ALTO terminology

   o  Host Group Descriptor: ...This can be, for example, a single IP
      address, an address prefix or address range that contains the
      host(s), or an autonomous system (AS) number.

Q: must  Host Group Descriptor:  be able to include both IPv4 and IPv6
for a dual stack host ?

REQ.  ARv01-8: The ALTO client protocol MUST support the host group
   descriptor types "IPv4 address prefix" and "IPv6 address prefix."
   They can be used to specify the IP address of one host, or an IP
   address range (in CIDR notation), which contains all hosts in
   question.  It is also possible to specify a broader address range
   (i.e., a shorter prefix length) than the intended group of hosts
actually uses, in order to conceal their exact identity.

Q:  Is it that "host group descriptor"  is a set of "IPv4 address
prefix" or "IPv6 address prefix." Or is it possible that a "host group
descriptor"  is a set containing both "IPv4 address prefix" and "IPv6
address prefix." ?

4.  Host group descriptors

Q: What is the requirement text for section 4? 
There are two options listed, the discussion Tuesday seemed to
depreciate the AS option. Is it required to support both ? Is one
optional ?
Q:AS's have defined semantics. If it is not an AS are there requirements
we should be stating about the creation/ deletion / definition of PIDs ?
( e.g. who can do it, when, etc.)

5.  Rating criteria
Q: What is the requirement text for section 4? 
Q:If the intention is to support dual (IPv4/IPv6) stack hosts, would
there be a need to be able to use these rating criteria to express a
preference between them ? 

regards, 
Steven Wright, MBA,PhD. 
Strategic Standards 
AT&T Network Architecture 
phone (404) 499 7030 
fax (404) 986 6141 
email [email-masked] 

*****

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA621