Subject: Re: [alto] New draft on ALTO service submitted

From: Tao Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 23:04:06 +0800

Hi,

   Your draft have given me the new scope of ALTO service. I used to
consider the ALTO service as the tool of traffic localization for P2P. Now I
have seen another possibility to optimize inter-domain traffic using your
BGP-based ALTO service. The advantages of traffic localization is obvious to
both ISP and P2P application, but the inter-domain traffic optimization
needs further discussion. I had readed some papers which discuss the
violation of ISP’s policy when P2P traffic crosses domains or ASes. Have you
ever evaluated the risk of violating the policy of ISPs when optimizing
inter-domain traffic optimization?

  Regards

Tao Ma
9,July,2009
Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications, Mobile life and new
media lab

---

From: Peter Racz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:20:46 +0200

Hi,

Traffic localization and inter-domain traffic optimization are not
independent, since if you localize traffic, that will effect the
inter-domain traffic of an ISP. The aim of the BGP-based ALTO service is
to "localize" traffic according to the ISP's routing preference that
corresponds to the ISP's policy. Thus, not violating the policy.

Regards,
Peter

Tao Ma wrote:
> consider the ALTO service as the tool of traffic localization for P2P.
> Now I have seen another possibility to optimize inter-domain traffic
> using your BGP-based ALTO service. The advantages of traffic
> localization is obvious to both ISP and P2P application, but the
> inter-domain traffic optimization needs further discussion. I had readed
> some papers which discuss the violation of ISP’s policy when P2P traffic
> crosses domains or ASes. Have you ever evaluated the risk of violating
> the policy of ISPs when optimizing inter-domain traffic optimization?
> 
>   Regards
> 
> Tao Ma
> 9,July,2009