Subject: [alto] I-D Action:draft-ietf-alto-problem-statement-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 08:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : J. Seedorf, E. Burger
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-problem-statement-02.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2009-07-03

Peer-to-peer applications, such as file sharing, real-time
communication, and live and on-demand media streaming use a
significant amount of Internet resources.  Such applications often
transfer large amounts of data in peer-to-peer connections.  However,
they usually have little knowledge of the underlying network
topology.  As a result, they may choose their peers randomly with
respect to the underlying network topology or they may choose their
peers based on measurements and statistics that, in many situations,
may lead to suboptimal choices.  This document describes problems
related to improving traffic generated by peer-to-peer applications.
In particular, this document discusses issues which better-than-
random peer selection based on network-layer information may raise.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-problem-statement-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Linda Dunbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 18:06:21 -0500

ALTO problem statement depicted architecture of the ALTO server and ALTO
client. I find this "ALTO Server" is not very practical. 

For public servers which provide contents (like video streaming), they
already registered at DHCP which provides ways for individual users to find
the optimal route to the nearest server. 

For pure P2P applications, the duration of the applications is short and
chance of them re-appearing is not high. Therefore it will be difficult for
ALTO server to maintain all the needed information to achieve the
optimization. Besides, what motivate P2P software to provide a hook to ALTO
server? 

Linda Dunbar

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2009 10:00 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [alto] I-D Action:draft-ietf-alto-problem-statement-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO)
Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : J. Seedorf, E. Burger
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-problem-statement-02.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2009-07-03

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 15:34:05 -0400

All of the "elements" are logical. Whether an element is instantiated  
on a big honking mainframe at a service provider or a distributed p2p  
ring, is simply an implementation matter. However, we need to talk  
about a well-known, locatable "service" that offer the ALTO "stuff."   
We tend to call that thing a "server."

On Jul 6, 2009, at 7:06 PM, Linda Dunbar wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto