Subject: [alto] ALTO-influenced Neighbor Selection and Unchoking

From: Sebastian Kiesel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 17:01:19 +0200

Hi all,

at the IEEE P2P'09 conference which was held recently in Seattle there
was an ALTO-related paper which I found interesting:

S. Oechsner, et al.: Pushing the Performance of Biased Neighbor Selection
through Biased Unchoking

The authors argue that in a Bittorrent-like system traffic localization
works best if locality-aware neighbor selection is combined with
locality-aware optimistic unchoking.

>From an architectural point of view this means, that both the tracker
and the peers need to have access to the guiding information from ALTO.

Thanks,

    Sebastian

-- 
Sebastian Kiesel            mailto:[email-masked]
Network Research Division   tel:+49-6221-4342-232   fax:+49-6221-4342-155
NEC Laboratories Europe     Kurfuerstenanlage 36, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
--
NEC Europe Limited          Registered in England 2832014
Registered Office           NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL