Subject: [alto] FW: New Version Notification for draft-penno-alto-protocol-04

From: Reinaldo Penno <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:23:07 -0400

New version posted.

------ Forwarded Message
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 18:19:19 -0400
To: "Y. R. Yang" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Reinaldo Penno <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-penno-alto-protocol-04

A new version of I-D, draft-penno-alto-protocol-04.txt has been successfuly
submitted by Yang Yang and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:  draft-penno-alto-protocol
Revision:  04
Title:   ALTO Protocol
Creation_date:  2009-10-26
WG ID:   Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 36

Abstract:
Networking applications today already have access to a great amount
of Inter-Provider network topology information.  For example, views
of the Internet routing table are easily available at looking glass
servers and entirely practical to be downloaded by clients.  What is
missing is knowledge of the underlying network topology from the ISP
or Content Provider (henceforth referred as Provider) point of view.
In other words, what an Provider prefers in terms of traffic
optimization -- and a way to distribute it.

The ALTO Service provides information such as preferences of network
resources with the goal of modifying network resource consumption
patterns while maintaining or improving application performance.
This document describes a protocol implementing the ALTO Service.
While such service would primarily be provided by the network (i.e.,
the ISP), content providers and third parties could also operate this
service.  Applications that could use this service are those that
have a choice in connection endpoints.  Examples of such applications
are peer-to-peer (P2P) and content delivery networks.

The IETF Secretariat.

------ End of Forwarded Message