Subject: [alto] Draft minutes posted

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:21:27 +0100

Draft minutes from last week's meeting are available at:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/09nov/minutes/alto.html

Please take a look and comment.

Thanks to Jan and Roni for taking notes!

-- 
Ciao,
Enrico

---

From: Salman Abdul Baset <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 13:17:08 -0500 (EST)

Hi Enrico,

Thanks for sending the draft minutes.

I looked at your slides (Fixing the shortcomings...) and the minutes 
(sorry, I was not able to attend meeting via jabber), and the focus seems 
to be on the size of the map, and frequency of updates. The underlying 
assumption is that an ALTO client will query a third party ALTO server for 
provisioned bandwidth, and thus up-to-date maps should be maintained and 
exchanged b/w ALTO servers. (Of course, what is more important for 
p2p-file/p2p-comm apps is the spare or the used bandwidth rather than the 
provisioned bandwidth.)

The approach that can avoid this up-to-date map problem, as I had 
indicated earlier and as Richard Alimi also mentioned in the meeting, is 
to let clients *only* query their provisioned b/w and let p2p app 
advertise spare b/w to other p2p apps.

The privacy issues associated with provisioned b/w advertisement can 
likely be addressed by 'Terms of Service'.

Salman