Subject: [alto] ALTO Protocol Draft Update

From: Richard Alimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:56:00 -0500

Hi All,

We have submitted an updated version of the ALTO Protocol draft:
  http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-01.txt

(Note that we also submitted a -00 version meant to capture the version that 
was approved at IETF76 in Hiroshima, with only some updates related to 
authors.)

draft-ietf-alto-protocol-01 includes the following changes:
- Restructured sections 4 and 5 to clarify the overall structure for network
  information served by an ALTO Server. We believe this was one of the major
  roadblocks to understanding the overall structure of the protocol in the
  previous draft.
- Minor clarifications to HTTP usage (e.g., forbidding cookies and indicating
  that Cache-Control and Expires headers can be used to indicate caching
  parameters).
- Various other editorial changes

For the next revision, we have the following items in mind:
- Add back some of the protocol details that are currently missing (protocol
  version number, map version tags, etc).
- Flesh out some encoding details, using JSON as the encoding

Of course, discussion and input are more than welcome.

Thanks!
-- 
Richard Alimi
Department of Computer Science
Yale University