Subject: [alto] more discussion on CPID

From: Song Haibin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:18:14 +0800

Hi all,

As we have presented the CPID proposal in the Hiroshima meeting. We want to
get more feedback on this proposal in the mailing list. Check the link for
the draft.
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-wang-alto-cpid-00.txt

The original thought of CPID was from P4P solution. In CPID, however, we
want peers to get and maintain minimal information (their CPID) from
ISP/ALTO server and use it to calculate the cost/priority among peers
directly. It will make ALTO server impossible to monitor the p2p behaviors
and the P2P application hard to get the full map of  ISP. Please check the
link below for our presentation.
http://tools.ietf.org/agenda/76/slides/alto-6.pdf

One good comment from the meeting was the interdomain traffic optimization.
Our initial solution was to let each peer get its ISP attribute information,
and uses a small map of cost among ISPs for optimization for this level.

We want to get opinion from the WG if there is an opportunity for making
CPID an opition in ALTO protocol.

Best Regards,
Haibin
Skype: alexsonghw

---

From: Wang Yan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 16:18:15 +0800

Dear all,

We want to get feedback from the WG if there is an opportunity for making CPID an option in ALTO protocol.

The CPID proposal can be regarded as a complement of the merge solution. One good comment from the meeting was the interdomain traffic optimization. The important advantage of CPID is that it can improve the efficiency in Tracker-less P2P network, because peer does not need to load and maintain a large network map. Therefore, we think CPID could be an option in ALTO protocol, hence to complete the ALTO protocol and take its advantages in some scenarios.

Feedback and comments are appreciated!

Best Regards,

Yan

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Song Haibin" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 5:18 PM
Subject: [alto] more discussion on CPID

> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto

---

From: John Leslie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:54:39 -0500

> making CPID an option in ALTO protocol.

   Since you ask...

   I get the impression that the major benefit intended is obfuscation
of information that one party or another would prefer to hide.

   While this is likely to be important for _widespread_ deployment,
I'd advise against putting obfuscation into the ALTO protocol this
early in the game. We won't get any deployment at all if the initial
protocol is too hard to understand.

--
John Leslie <[email-masked]>

---

From: Wang Yan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:05:18 +0800

Hi John,

Please see inline.

> of information that one party or another would prefer to hide.
Yes, obfuscation of information is one of our benefits. CPID also has other benefits, especially showing in Tracker-less P2P network. Maintaining network map/cost map and searching in large dataset may impose heavy workload to the peer, but using CPID solution can improve it, because the cost/guidance is directly computed from peer CPIDs without loading and searching large maps locally. 

> protocol is too hard to understand.
CPID derive from combination of network map and cost map in merged solution, so it is not hard to understand if including it in ALTO protocol. Therefore, we hope CPID could be an option in ALTO protocol for its benefits in Tracker-less P2P network and for hiding the whole network/cost map information. 

Best Regards,

Yan.