Subject: [alto] I-D Action:draft-ietf-alto-protocol-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : ALTO Protocol
	Author(s)       : R. Alimi, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-protocol-05.txt
	Pages           : 58
	Date            : 2010-07-12

Networking applications today already have access to a great amount
of Inter-Provider network topology information.  For example, views
of the Internet routing table are easily available at looking glass
servers and entirely practical to be downloaded by clients.  What is
missing is knowledge of the underlying network topology from the ISP
or Content Provider (henceforth referred as Provider) point of view.
In other words, what a Provider prefers in terms of traffic
optimization -- and a way to distribute it.

The ALTO Service provides information such as preferences of network
resources with the goal of modifying network resource consumption
patterns while maintaining or improving application performance.
This document describes a protocol implementing the ALTO Service.
While such service would primarily be provided by the network (i.e.,
the ISP), content providers and third parties could also operate this
service.  Applications that could use this service are those that
have a choice in connection endpoints.  Examples of such applications
are peer-to-peer (P2P) and content delivery networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.