Subject: [alto] I-D ACTION:draft-dulinski-alto-inter-alto-protocol-00.txt

From: Piotr Wydrych <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 11:08:11 +0200

Hi all,

We have submitted a new draft describing the protocol which can be used 
by the ALTO servers to exchange the information on topology.

The main motivation for developing the protocol is that routing paths 
and policies in the Internet aren't symmetric and therefore a local ALTO 
server can't guide local peers optimally.  An ALTO server may use the 
information obtained from other servers for better optimization of peer 
rating algorithm.  Several motivations for the proposal of the 
Inter-ALTO communications protocol are described in more detail in 
Section 2 of the draft.

The protocol described in the document has been already implemented and 
is being tested now.  The impact of the introduction of the Inter-ALTO 
protocol on the BT traffic has been presented in: Z. Dulinski, M. 
Kantor, W. Krzysztofek, R. Stankiewicz, and P. Cholda, ``Optimal Choice 
of Peers based on BGP Information,'' Proceedings of 2010 IEEE 
International Conference on Communications (ICC), May 2010, (available 
from IEEE Xplore and from the authors upon request).  Additionally, we 
have done simulations using the scrap of the real Internet topology. 
Peer rating algorithm was optimized with respect to reduction of ISPs 
costs related to the inter-domain traffic.  The information from remote 
ALTO servers enables reduction of traffic on expensive links by 
promoting remote peers that exchange traffic over cheaper links.  The 
results are promising (however they haven't been published anywhere yet).

We invite you for a discussion about the draft.

Best regards,
Piotr Wydrych and Rafal Stankiewicz, on behalf of all authors

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dulinski-alto-inter-alto-protocol-00.txt
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:30:05 -0700 (PDT)
Reply-To: [email-masked]
List-Id: Internet Draft Announcements only <i-d-announce.ietf.org>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Inter-ALTO communication protocol
	Author(s)	: Z. Dulinski, R. Stankiewicz, P. Cholda, P. Wydrych, B. Stiller
	Filename	: draft-dulinski-alto-inter-alto-protocol-00.txt
	Pages		: 39
	Date		: 2010-6-29
	
   The ALTO service provides the information, which can make
     communication between applications more efficient, especially in case
     of overlay applications.  Such applications can use the information
     to perform better-than-random peer selection.  The ALTO protocol
     conveys network information to applications.  The protocol definition
     of this document extends the functionality of this ALTO service by
     introducing a standardized manner of communications between ALTO
     servers.  A new inter-ALTO protocol is proposed, which enables the
     exchange of information between ALTO servers.  The servers can
     coordinate actions and can introduce policies, which provide
     communication between applications localized in cooperating
     Autonomous Systems with a higher performance and a better cost
     efficiency.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dulinski-alto-inter-alto-protocol-00.txt

-- 
Piotr 'GhosT' Wydrych .. xmpp:wydrych//agh.edu.pl .. http://wydrych.net/

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?