Subject: [alto] (fwd) I-D Action:draft-kiesel-alto-alto4alto-00.txt

From: Sebastian Kiesel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 11:02:25 +0200

Hi,

the following draft describes how to use ALTO for selecting an ALTO
server. This sounds like a chicken&egg problem, but it has advantages
in situations where the user seeks ALTO guidance from an ALTO operator
who is not the operator of the access network.

While the proposed mechanism might need more work, I invite you to
consider the problem described in the introduction section.

Comments welcome.

Thanks
   Sebastian

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-kiesel-alto-alto4alto-00.txt 
Date: Mon,  5 Jul 2010 01:45:02 -0700 (PDT)
Reply-To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Using ALTO for ALTO server selection
	Author(s)       : S. Kiesel
	Filename        : draft-kiesel-alto-alto4alto-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2010-07-05

The goal of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to
provide guidance to applications, which have to select one or several
hosts from a set of candidates that are able to provide a desired
resource.  Entities seeking guidance need to discover and possibly
select an ALTO server to ask.

This document proposes an ALTO-based scheme to select an ALTO server
that can give guidance to a given ALTO client.  Unlike some other
proposed ALTO discovery mechanisms, this solution works well if the
client seeks guidance from a set of ALTO servers that are operated by
an entity which is not the operator of the access network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kiesel-alto-alto4alto-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

----- End forwarded message -----