Subject: [alto] The International Industrial and Academic Symposium on DECADE and ALTO

From: "Haibin Song" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 23:14:11 -0400

(sorry for the cross-post, wanted to send to all the appropriate working
groups)

I am sending this email to call for participation to the symposium after
IETF Beijing meeting. It is used to promote the design discussion and
sharing industrial and academic information about DECADE and ALTO. It will
not be an official IETF meeting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------

                                  The International Industrial and Academic
Symposium on DECADE and ALTO

The International Industrial and Academic Symposium on DECADE (DECoupled
Application Data Enroute) and ALTO (Application Layer Traffic Optimization)
will present industrial and academic trends and solutions on DECADE and
ALTO, both of which intend to improve the network efficiency.

The upstream network links of home users are often relatively small; and
bandwidth-greedy applications such as file sharing and real-time streaming
can quickly saturate the links when uploading content. To address that
problem, DECADE's advocates propose a mechanism whereby users can store
content they are sharing in the network-ahead of the last-mile bottleneck.
The specific objective of DECADE is to specify a protocol for fine-grained
control of such network storage. The protocol is intended to be integrated
in P2P applications, thereby enabling them to store, retrieve, and manage
data remotely as well as to define policies for sharing such data with other
peers and to control the utilization of resources like bandwidth and number
of connections. Although DECADE originated from P2P requirements, it can
also be used for other types of content distribution.

P2P applications establish overlays on top of the Internet infrastructure
with little or no knowledge of the underlying network topology. That lack of
information leads peers to make suboptimal choices. For example, it is
common for a peer who needs to obtain information from another peer to
choose randomly, possibly picking one located on the other side of the
planet. Such random selection may ignore many peers who are topologically
closer and that therefore likely would provide better performance. ALTO
solutions intend to enable network operators, Internet service providers,
and others with network topology information to share it with P2P
applications, thereby enabling those applications to improve the peer
selection process. Sharing this information is expected to benefit both end
users and network operators, resulting in better application performance and
more rational use of network resources.

Recently, a trend has emerged to combine DECADE and ALTO technologies for
content distribution. Among other topics, this symposium will explore how
these technologies can be combined to improve network efficiency.

All of you are welcome to this meeting! Everyone is encouraged to request a
slot for your presentation. We also plan to invite industrial and academic
experts on related areas to give presentations.  The topics include but are
not limited to:

(1)     ISPs' considerations/recent actions;

(2)     Vendors' considerations/recent actions;

(3)     Applications' needs;

(4)     Business models;

(5)     General solution;

(6)     Key technical aspects

The presentation requests and presentation slides should be sent to the
organizers of this meeting before corresponding cut-off dates.

If you are interested in attending, please send an email to the organizers
as soon as possible so they may plan meeting space and lunch accordingly.

Name                        Email

Haibin Song                 [email-masked]

David Bryan                 [email-masked]

Important dates and Information

===============

Time                           15 to 16  November 2010 (next Monday and
Tuesday after IETF 79 meeting)

Location                        Nanjing, China

Meeting Venue                   Hotel information will be available soon

Cut-off date for slot request         25 October 2010

Preliminary agenda                1 November  2010

Final agenda                     8 November 2010

Travel Information

(1) The air flight from Beijing to Nanjing will take about 1 hour and 40
minutes

(2) The high speed train between Shanghai and Nanjing will take about 1 hour
and 18 minutes(non-stop train) or about 2 hours (several stops).

(3) There are also international flights to some Asia Pacific and Europe
countries from Nanjing