Subject: [alto] P2P CDN integrated in Wikipedia

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:07:58 +0200

Hi folks,

in case someone has not noticed it yet, Wikimedia has just announced the 
adoption of a BitTorrent-based technology for distributing multimedia 
content in their websites, including Wikipedia:

http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/09/video-labs-p2p-next-community-cdn-for-video-distribution/

I thought this may be of some interest for people on this list, both for 
the wide diffusion of the free content available on such websites, and 
as food for thought regarding the CDN use-case that has recently 
received quite attention around here.

-- 
Ciao,
Enrico

---

From: "David A. Bryan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:16:20 -0400

Seems to me that the more that this kind of technology gets
incorporated into more "mainstream" applications (yeah, I know, more
people probably download video from BitTorrent than use Wikipedia,
but...), the higher the likelihood we will start seeing last mile
network issues, and the more motivation for things like ALTO and
DECADE.

Does anyone know if any of the folks working on this (I know we have
some P2P-Next folks, or at least folks who are in touch with them) are
on the ALTO list? If this gets incorporated more widely into Wikipedia
in the future, this may be a very nice open, public source of data on
the problem, and possible test bed for the ALTO work as we move
forward.

Thanks for sharing the post...

David

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Enrico Marocco
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> I thought this may be of some interest for people on this list, both for the
> wide diffusion of the free content available on such websites, and as food
> for thought regarding the CDN use-case that has recently received quite
> attention around here.
>
> --
> Ciao,
> Enrico
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto
>
>

---

From: Victor Grishchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:05:32 +0200

> network issues, and the more motivation for things like ALTO and

Sorry, that is laughable. Wikipedia's video is nothing compared to
BitTorrent, YouTube, etc. Maybe, in some years it will catch up...

> the problem, and possible test bed for the ALTO work as we move

I'm in touch with them.
I think, regarding the data you need, at this moment it is way more
practical to measure existing BitTorrent networks. There are lots of
publications and data on the subject, including those made by P2P-Next
people.
Video on Wikipedia is sorta starting to take off, but in most of the
cases, those are 5-10MB short animated illustrations.
Infrastructure-wise, that is negligible.

-- 
Victor

---

From: "David A. Bryan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:40:58 -0400

Your statements are true from a bandwidth perspective, but that misses the
point. From a total number of users perspective, I think that wikipedia has
more users. My grandmother doesn't use bit torrent. As more mainstream apps
(including you tube) -- regardless of total bandwith numbers today -- start
to use p2p, the more you will need services like alto. It is a consequence
of the shared access media.

>>> I thought this may be of some interest for people on this list, both for
the