Subject: [alto] I-D Action:draft-ietf-alto-protocol-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:00:04 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : ALTO Protocol
	Author(s)       : R. Alimi, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-protocol-06.txt
	Pages           : 65
	Date            : 2010-10-25

Networking applications today already have access to a great amount
of Inter-Provider network topology information.  For example, views
of the Internet routing table are easily available at looking glass
servers and entirely practical to be downloaded by clients.  What is
missing is knowledge of the underlying network topology from the ISP
or Content Provider (henceforth referred as Provider) point of view.
In other words, what a Provider prefers in terms of traffic
optimization -- and a way to distribute it.

The ALTO Service provides information such as preferences of network
resources with the goal of modifying network resource consumption
patterns while maintaining or improving application performance.
This document describes a protocol implementing the ALTO Service.
While such service would primarily be provided by the network (i.e.,
the ISP), content providers and third parties could also operate this
service.  Applications that could use this service are those that
have a choice in connection endpoints.  Examples of such applications
are peer-to-peer (P2P) and content delivery networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Richard Alimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 23:19:51 -0700

Hi All,

We have uploaded version -06 of the ALTO Protocol draft. Major updates include:
- Fixed up some inconsistencies in the naming conventions used in the
protocol (e.g., consistently use hyphens)
- Substantially re-written and clarified section on ALTO Redistribution
- Redistribution no longer requires the same private key to be
deployed to each ALTO Server in a cluster (that is, ALTO Servers
sharing the same Service ID).  The requirement is instead that their
certificate chains have a common root.
- IANA Considerations is filled out with mime-type registration and
definition of ALTO Cost Type registry
- Marked some of the text that was previously in the Discussion
section so that it can be moved to a more appropriate document (it is
moved to an appendix for now). There is now substantial interest in a
deployment considerations document; it appears this some of this text
would fit better over there.

The full diff is here:
 http://www.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/rfcdiff.pyht?url1=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-05.txt&url2=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-06.txt

Feedback is welcomed!

Thanks!
Rich

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto
>
>

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:37:31 +0000

Hi Rich,

You have discussed the default cost in the ALTO protocol presentation during the IETF-78 meeting. Slide 4 of http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/78/slides/alto-8.pdf.

I did only a quick check of the new draft but could only find default cost type but not the default costs for unknown entries.

I have may missed it in the text.

Thanks

  Martin

[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Richard Alimi
> Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:20 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [alto] I-D Action:draft-ietf-alto-protocol-06.txt
> 
> Hi All,
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/rfcdiff.pyht?url1=http://tools.ietf.o
> rg/id/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-
> 05.txt&url2=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-06.txt
> 
> Feedback is welcomed!
> 
> Thanks!
> Rich
>

---

From: Richard Alimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 07:51:21 -0700

Hi Martin,

> I have may missed it in the text.

The default cost is provided by way of having one PID defined for each
endpoint address. This is provided by this requirement:

   A Network Map MUST define a PID for each possible address in the IP
   address space.  A RECOMMENDED way to satisfy this property is to
   define a PID containing the 0.0.0.0/0 prefix for IPv4 or ::/0 (for
   IPv6).

Then, queries to the Cost Map service can determine the cost to/from
each PID.  There is no explicit "default" value that must be
configured, and this approach attempts to share existing code paths in
the ALTO Client and ALTO Server.

For the Endpoint Cost query, the server simply replies with a cost for
each supplied endpoint address. (Again, no "default" value needs to be
specified in the protocol.)

Rich

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 06:35:16 +0000

Rich - thanks!

  Martin

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Richard Alimi
> Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:51 PM
> To: Martin Stiemerling
> Cc: [email-masked]
> > You have discussed the default cost in the ALTO protocol presentation
> during the IETF-78 meeting. Slide 4 of
> http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/78/slides/alto-8.pdf.
> >
> > I did only a quick check of the new draft but could only find default
> cost type but not the default costs for unknown entries.
> >
> > NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road,
> London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014
> >
> >
> >> We have uploaded version -06 of the ALTO Protocol draft. Major
> updates
> >> include: