Subject: [alto] Call for Participation: International Workshop on P2P-TV (no registration fee)

From: Jan Seedorf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 13:53:39 +0000

Folks,

We (the EU project NAPA-WINE) are organizing an international workshop on P2P-TV without any registration fee, anybody interested is welcome to attend (please register though at the link below if you do intend to come so that we can plan for the right number of attendees). Please find details below in the call for participation for the workshop.

  - Jan

*********************

			Call for Participation
                  International Workshop on P2P-TV
                (organised by the NAPA-WINE Project)

                 Torino, Italy, January 20-21, 2011
                  http://www.napa-wine.eu/workshop/

*Overview*
TV services over the Internet can be provided either exploiting IP multicast
functionalities or relying on a pure end-to-end (P2P) approach. The P2P approach
has been successfully exploited to overcome limitations of IP-based solutions
(like reliance on the network infrastructure controlled by a single broadband
operator) and can potentially offer a scalable planetary infrastructure.
Recently, several P2P-TV systems started to show up, with the last generation
offering High Quality TV (P2P-HQTV) systems, providing a ubiquitous access to
the service. These same potentialities of P2P-TV systems constitute a worry for
network carriers since the traffic they generate may potentially grow without
control, causing a degradation of quality of service perceived by Internet users
or even the network collapse (and the consequent failure of the P2P-HQTV service
itself!).

*Workshop Program* 
The final NAPA-WINE workshop is intended as an informal forum for lively
discussions on current and future trends in peer-to-peer live streaming. The
program comprises four talks presenting the main NAPA-WINE achievements (and a
demo of NAPA-WINE's network-aware P2P live streaming system) as well as nine
talks from external highly qualified researchers from both academia and
industry, providing a broad and articulated perspective on the main challenges
and solutions on the topic. There will be external presentations provided by
(see http://www.napa-wine.eu/workshop/program.html for agenda details):

- Presentations from other on-going  European projects on P2P-TV/CDN:
  * Future Media Networks (FMN) cluster and ENVISION (David Griffin, UCL, GB)
  * COAST/SEA (Emanuele Quacchio, ST Microelectronics, IT)
  * P2P-NEXT (Raul Jimenez, KTH, SE)
- Presentations from the industrial world (the operator/content provider vision):
  * Nikolaos Laoutaris,  Telefonica Research, ES
  * Enrico Marocco, Chair of IETF ALTO, Telecom Italia, IT
- Presentations from academia (technical challenges)
  * Ernst Biersack, Eurecom, FR
  * Phuoc Tran-Gia, Tobias Hossfeld, University of Wuerzburg, DE
  * Yong Liu, Polytechnic Institute of NYU, US
  * Victoria Fodor, Gyorgy Dan, KTH, SE

*Logistics*
Location: The workshop will take place at VALENTINO CASTLE (Castello del
Valentino), Viale Mattioli 39, 10125 Torino, Italy. Valentino Castle campus is
situated quite near the main railway station of Porta Nuova, in an area
characterized by open green spaces. It is in the heart of Valentino Park with a
wonderful view of the Po River. More details on getting to the workshop are
available at http://www.napa-wine.eu/workshop/location.html.

*Schedule*
 - start: Thursday, January 20th, 2011, 2.00 p.m.
 - end:   Friday,   January 21st, 2011, 5.30 p.m.
A social dinner will be offered by the NAPA-WINE project on Thursday evening.

*Registration*
There is *no* *registration* *fee* to participate in the workshop. However,
participants are kindly invited to register their attendance by January 10th,
2011, at http://www.napa-wine.eu/workshop/registration.html. People that will
not register may not be granted access due to seat limitations.

***********************

============================================================
Jan Seedorf
Senior Researcher
NEC Europe Ltd., NEC Laboratories Europe, Network Division     
Kurfuerstenanlage 36, D-69115 Heidelberg
Tel.     +49 (0)6221 4342-221
Fax:     +49 (0)6221 4342-155
e-mail:  [email-masked]
============================================================
NEC Europe Limited Registered Office: NEC House,
1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL Registered in England 2832014