Subject: [alto] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-dulinski-alto-inter-problem-statement-01.txt

From: Piotr Wydrych <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:18:08 +0200

Hi,

We've submitted a new version of the Inter-ALTO Communication Problem 
Statement draft. The draft contains three new use cases:
* ISPs with more than one AS number;
* mobile networks (incl. content distribution to mobile users);
* route aggregation via AS sets.

Of course, comments are welcome.

Regards,
Piotr Wydrych

------ Wiadomość oryginalna ------
Temat: I-D Action: draft-dulinski-alto-inter-problem-statement-01.txt
Data: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 12:04:26 -0700
Nadawca: [email-masked]
Odpowiedź-Do: [email-masked]
Adresat: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title           : Inter-ALTO Communication Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : Zbigniew Dulinski
                           Piotr Wydrych
                           Rafal Stankiewicz
	Filename        : draft-dulinski-alto-inter-problem-statement-01.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2011-07-11

    This draft considers an approach to the optimization of the traffic
    generated by the overlay (peer-to-peer) applications, where some
    information on inter-AS (Autonomous System) paths is obtained with
    the usage of dedicated communication scheme known as inter-ALTO
    communication.

    The large amount of network traffic generated by overlay applications
    requires effective management.  This traffic traverses inter-AS links
    and thus generates substantial costs for the operators and poses
    problems with overload on the external and internal links.  The
    traffic is not time-stable as the peers connect and disconnect very
    often.  Additionally, when the overlay traffic is observed on
    inter-AS links, it can be seen that sources and destinations change
    in a very short period of time.  The ALTO (Application-Layer Traffic
    Optimization) service provides the information that enables more
    efficient management of the overlay traffic.  Such applications can
    use the information to perform better-than-random peer selection.
    The ALTO servers are responsible for a pre-selection procedure; the
    final selection is done by overlay clients and then the ALTO protocol
    conveys network information to applications.  To be credible, this
    information should be as close to real network situation as possible.
    However, some types of data are not hold by an operator, but they
    should be gained on the basis of the additional information exchange
    with other AS operators.  This document presents rationale for the
    need of introduction of the inter-ALTO communication.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dulinski-alto-inter-problem-statement-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dulinski-alto-inter-problem-statement-01.txt

-- 
Piotr 'GhosT' Wydrych .. xmpp:wydrych//agh.edu.pl .. http://wydrych.net/

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?