Subject: [alto] Multi-Cost ALTO - Representation of variable Cost values

From: Sabine Randriamasy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 16:26:26 +0100

Hi,

In the last version of draft Multi-Cost ALTO, Section deals with the 
representation of 1 Cost Type taking multiple values.  A related use 
case is given in section  §5.3. See 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-randriamasy-alto-multi-cost-05.txt

An example is a proposed Cost Type called "Path Occupation Cost" (POC) 
that takes different values at different times.
The cost values of POC are represented with a JSONArray. The draft 
proposes to qualify such a representation with the  "dynamic mode".

The idea is to use this value table for planning purposes, to provide 
guidance on which time periods are more suitable to operate data 
transfers. An analogy can be found with train plan costs, classified wrt 
trafic intensities (rush hours, vacation departures, ...) and 
represented with e.g. colors or scalar values. These values can be used 
to plan the travel period and ticket purchase, wrt the purpose / 
emergency of the trip.

The class/cost values in the "dynamic mode" aim to be incentives, to 
optimize the network occupation, more than trying to be some statistical 
representation, although they stem from empirical knowledge.

Such Costs MUST be representable with single values, in either 
"numerical" or "ordinal" modes. Either if only a "static" value is 
needed of provided. Or when rapidly (down to couple of minutes) changing 
values are available via new ALTO queries.

Are there any objections, suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks
Sabine

-- 

---------------------------------------------------------
Sabine RANDRIAMASY
Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs France 
Centre de Villarceau
Route de Villejust - 91620 NOZAY - FRANCE

E-MAIL : [email-masked]
TEL: +33 (0)1 30 77 27 45 
         (On Net) 2 103 27 45
---------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 16:59:21 +0100

Hi Sabine,

I have just seen that there is an IPR discloser with respect to this 
draft on the ipr-announce list(doesn't show up in the ipr-announce 
archive yet):
"
Dear Sabine Randriamasy, Nico Schwan:

  An IPR disclosure that pertains to your Internet-Draft entitled 
"Multi-Cost ALTO" (draft-randriamasy-alto-multi-cost) was submitted to 
the IETF Secretariat on 2011-10-10 and has been posted on the "IETF Page 
of Intellectual Property Rights Disclosures" 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1628/). The title of the
IPR disclosure is "Alcatel-Lucent's Statement about IPR related to 
draft-dandriamasy-alto-multi-cost-03."");

The IETF Secretariat".

Can you give some information about it to the ALTO WG?

Thank you,

   Martin

On 11/09/2011 04:26 PM, Sabine Randriamasy wrote:
> representation of 1 Cost Type taking multiple values. A related use case
> is given in section §5.3. See

---

From: Sabine Randriamasy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:26:42 +0100

Hi Martin,

Indeed a patent application has been filed and licensing is based on RAND.
Please see the details of the IPR at https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1628/

Sabine

--

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 03:50:24 +0100

Hi Sabine,

The text in the IPR note 1628 is not giving too much insight to this, 
other than this patent application being unpublished.

Anyhow, thanks and see you soon.

   Martin

On 11/10/2011 05:26 PM, Sabine Randriamasy wrote:
>> the IETF Secretariat on 2011-10-10 and has been posted on the "IETF
>> Page of Intellectual Property Rights Disclosures"