Subject: [alto] Should we allow relative URIs in resource directories?

From: Wendy Roome <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:53:03 -0500

In general URIs can be relative as well as absolute. So if an ALTO
server's resource directory has the URI
"http://alto.example.com/directory", directory entries like
  { "uri" : "/networkmap", ....}
or
  { "uri" : "costmap/num/routingcost", ...}
should be legal and should resolve to "http://alto.example.com/networkmap"
and "http://alto.example.com/costmap/num/routingcost", respectively.

However, our examples only use absolute URIs. As far as I can tell, draft
13 doesn't say anything about relative URIs.

So I think we should either explicitly allow relative URIs -- and use them
in examples in the RFC and in the next interop -- or else forbid them.
That would affect Sections 6.7.2 & 6.7.3.

Comments?
	
 - Wendy Roome

---

From: Ben Niven-Jenkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:33:10 +0000

Wendy,

I see no reason to restrict to absolute URIs.

Currently section 6.7.2 of the ALTO protocol spec states:

   uri  A URI at which the ALTO Server provides one or more Information
      Resources, or an Information Resource Directory indicating
      additional Information Resources.

Would adding a reference to section 4.1 of RFC3986 be sufficient, e.g.

   uri  A URI reference (as per section 4.1 of [RFC3986] to one or more
      Information Resources, or an Information Resource Directory
      indicating additional Information Resources.

Ben

On 11 Feb 2013, at 16:53, Wendy Roome wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto

---

From: "Diego R. Lopez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:44:48 +0000

Hi,

I think allowing only absolute URIs would translate into simpler mechanisms to build them, and better understanding by human readers trying to debug based on ALTO outputs, but I acknowledge these are limited advantages if there are any other reasons for allowing relative URIs.

Be goode,

--
"Esta vez no fallaremos, Doctor Infierno"

Dr Diego R. Lopez
Telefonica I+D
http://people.tid.es/diego.lopez/

e-mail: [email-masked]
Tel:    +34 913 129 041
Mobile: +34 682 051 091
-----------------------------------------

________________________________

Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario. Puede consultar nuestra política de envío y recepción de correo electrónico en el enlace situado más abajo.
This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at:
http://www.tid.es/ES/PAGINAS/disclaimer.aspx