Subject: [alto] fwd: I-D Action: draft-kist-alto-3pdisc-02.txt

From: Sebastian Kiesel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:54:04 +0100

Dear ALTO WG members,

this is a significant change to the ALTO third-party discovery
algorithm, so please read.  As always, feedback is very welcome.

Thanks
Sebastian

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 06:51:16 -0800
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-kist-alto-3pdisc-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Third-Party ALTO Server Discovery (3pdisc)
	Author(s)       : Sebastian Kiesel
                          Kilian Krause
                          Martin Stiemerling
	Filename        : draft-kist-alto-3pdisc-02.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2013-02-11

Abstract:
   The goal of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to
   provide guidance to applications that have to select one or several
   hosts from a set of candidates capable of providing a desired
   resource.  ALTO is realized by a client-server protocol.  Before an
   ALTO client can ask for guidance it needs to discover one or more
   ALTO servers that can provide suitable guidance.

   This document specifies a procedure for third-party ALTO server
   discovery, which can be used if the ALTO client is not co-located
   with the actual resource consumer, but instead embedded in a third
   party such as a peer-to-peer tracker.

   This algorithm takes a resource consumer's IP address as argument,
   performs several DNS lookups (for PTR, SOA, and U-NAPTR resource
   records), and produces URIs of ALTO servers that are able to give
   reasonable ALTO guidance to a resource consumer willing to
   communicate using this IP address.

   Starting with draft-kist-alto-3pdisc-02 the algorithm has
   significantly changed compared to previous versions of this document,
   including draft-kiesel-alto-3pdisc-* and
   draft-ietf-alto-server-discovery-*.  The new algorithm does not try
   "DNS tree climbing" and it does not neccessarily rely on PTR records,
   i.e., it can also produce results if no PTR records are populated in
   the DNS, for example when IPv6 privacy exensions are in use.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kist-alto-3pdisc

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kist-alto-3pdisc-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kist-alto-3pdisc-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

----- End forwarded message -----