Subject: [alto] New ALTO draft: draft-scharf-alto-vpn-service-00

From: "Scharf, Michael (Michael)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:00:09 +0100

Hi all,

This draft discusses the use of ALTO in VPNs, such as L3VPNs and L2VPNs.

The document includes several potential use cases, a list of (new) requirements that seem specific to VPNs, as well as a gap analysis when using the base ALTO protocol. This draft does not suggest a specific solution right now. Our understanding is that it is important to first analyze what problems have to be solved when ALTO shall be used in VPN environments.

Feedback would be highly welcome!

Thanks

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:34 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-scharf-alto-vpn-service-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Virtual Private Network (VPN) Service in ALTO: Use Cases, Requirements and Extensions
	Author(s)       : Michael Scharf
                          Vijay K. Gurbani
                          Greg Soprovich
                          Volker Hilt
	Filename        : draft-scharf-alto-vpn-service-00.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2013-02-14

Abstract:
   The Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) protocol is
   designed to allow entities with knowledge about the network
   infrastructure to export such information to applications that need
   to choose one or more resources from a candidate set.  This document
   provides motivation for using ALTO in a Virtual Private Network (VPN)
   environment.  We discuss use cases, requirements, and possible
   extensions to the base ALTO protocol that will be needed to support
   VPN services.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-scharf-alto-vpn-service

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-scharf-alto-vpn-service-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt