Subject: [alto] I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-protocol-15.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 00:35:59 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : ALTO Protocol
	Author(s)       : Richard Alimi
                          Reinaldo Penno
                          Y. Richard Yang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-protocol-15.txt
	Pages           : 79
	Date            : 2013-05-08

Abstract:
   Applications using the Internet already have access to topology
   information of Internet Service Provider (ISP) networks.  For
   example, views to Internet routing tables at looking glass servers
   are available and can be practically downloaded to many application
   clients.  What is missing is knowledge of the underlying network
   topologies from the point of view of ISPs (henceforth referred as
   Providers).  In other words, what a Provider prefers in terms of
   traffic optimization -- and a way to distribute it.

   The Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Service provides
   network information (e.g., basic network location structure and
   preferences of network paths) with the goal of modifying network
   resource consumption patterns while maintaining or improving
   application performance.  The basic information of ALTO is based on
   abstract maps of a network.  These maps provide a simplified view,
   yet enough information about a network for applications to
   effectively utilize them.  Additional services are built on top of
   the maps.

   This document describes a protocol implementing the ALTO Service.
   Although the ALTO Service would primarily be provided by the network
   service providers (e.g., Internet service providers), content service
   providers and third parties could also operate an ALTO service.
   Applications that could use this service are those that have a choice
   to which end points to connect.  Examples of such applications are
   peer-to-peer (P2P) and content delivery networks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-protocol

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-15

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-protocol-15

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Richard Alimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 00:37:17 -0700

Hi All,

We have posted a new version of the ALTO Protocol draft:
draft-ietf-alto-protocol-15.  There are a large number of editorial changes
(including a heavily-revised Security Considerations section), and quite a
few non-editorial changes that have been discussed on the list and at the
latest meeting.

The non-editorial changes are as follows:
- Clarified that an ALTO Server can return an IRD or an Error; there is no
requirement that the ALTO Client specify those in the Accept header in the
HTTP request (See section 8.3.3).
- Removed guidance on using an HTTP 400 status code when returning ALTO
Errors.
- Renamed Cost Type to Cost Metric, and defined Cost Type to refer to a
(Cost Mode, Cost Metric) tuple.
- An IRD entry for a cost map now declares a list of Cost Types that are
supported (instead of the previous behavior where there was a cross-product
between cost modes and cost metrics).
- Revised the schema for JSON data structures (Section 8.2).
- IRD's can contain relative URIs.
- Resolved discrepancy on cost modes that must be implemented for the
routingcost Cost Metric; only one of numerical or ordinal is mandatory (not
both).
- Clarified requirement on TLS support
- Expanded guidelines for 'priv:' identifiers to endpoint properties (in
addition to cost metrics)

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback for this draft!

Thanks,
Rich

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto
>