Subject: [alto] 转发: New Version Notification for draft-deng-alto-p2pcache-00.txt

From: 邓灵莉/Lingli Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 16:12:28 +0800

Hi all,

We have just submitted a draft proposing to take considerations on the locations of operator-deployed P2Pcaches in the formation of network topology abstraction. 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-deng-alto-p2pcache-00.txt  

Your comments are welcome. Thank you~

BR
Lingli

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
发送时间: 2013年7月4日 12:00
收件人: Deng Lingli; Lingli Deng; Yan Zhang
主题: New Version Notification for draft-deng-alto-p2pcache-00.txt

A new version of I-D, draft-deng-alto-p2pcache-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Lingli Deng and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-deng-alto-p2pcache
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Considerations for ALTO with network-deployed P2P caches-00
Creation date:	 2013-07-04
Group:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 8
URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-deng-alto-p2pcache-00.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-deng-alto-p2pcache
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-deng-alto-p2pcache-00

Abstract:
   Transparent forwarding caching effectively localizes the downloading
   P2P traffic within the sub-net under its coverage resulting in
   reduction of network cost for cross-boundary peer selection, whereas
   transparent reverse caching blocks the uploading traffic outside a
   wireless sub-net leading to elimination of network cost for wireless
   uploading peer selection.  In other words, caching between pairs of
   endpoints changes the traffic cost along the way.

   Therefore, it is proposed to use locations of caches as dividers of
   different DIPs to guide intra-ISP network abstraction and mark costs
   among them according to the location and type of relevant caches.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 18:20:36 -0400

Hi Lingli,

A very interesting document, and the idea of using cache locations and
types to compute network map and cost map is novel.

Here are some early comments:

- page 1 Abstract: it can be helpful to add a sentence or two on the terms
"forward caching" and "transparent caching", as they are not
complex concepts, but many readers may not always remember their
definitions.

- page 1: DIPs are typos of PIDs?

- page 2: 80% traffic is P2P in China Mobile WLANs?! Do you have a more
detailed breakdown which you can share? This can help with our
understanding of the problem.

- page 3: "characteristics of the DCF model in 802.11 ... downlink
congestion" It is not clear to me which DCF properties are at play here.
For ChinaMobile public WLANs, both downlink and uplink are scheduled by
DCF?

-page 3: "at AC": AC is introduced later in the document. It can be helpful
to define it first before use.

- page 3: "suboptimal to use network type as dividers for different
PIDs..." Can you please elaborate some more here on why suboptimal? Is it
consistent with the rest?

- page 5/Sec. 3.2-3.3 It seems that you may use the general Distributed
System/BSS/ESS concept of 802.11. Does it help to use the terms of 802.11?
Your architecture appears to extend beyond different types of networks,

- page 7/Sec. 4.1: "other local peers outside ..." Remove local? My
understanding is that the details of Sec. 4.1 are important for others to
understand your messages; hence, will it be better if you elaborate a bit
on the process.

In more details, is it possible to derive a quantitive model to compute
normalized cost maps, based on location of caches, as you mentioned, as
well as cache hit rations?

Just some initial comments.

Thanks!

Richard

On Thursday, July 4, 2013, 邓灵莉/Lingli Deng wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have just submitted a draft proposing to take considerations on the
> locations of operator-deployed P2Pcaches in the formation of network
> topology abstraction.
> 发件人: [email-masked] <javascript:;> [mailto:
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>]
> 发送时间: 2013年7月4日 12:00
> URL:
> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto
>