Subject: [alto] What is an ALTO server?

From: Sebastian Kiesel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 21:18:16 +0200

Dear all,

at a first glance the the question may seem strange, but reading the
recent discussions on Costmap IDs / IRD structures,  I'm wondering how
we define "an ALTO server"?

- A physical box?  (hopefully not!)

- The software process that listens on <IPaddress>:80/tcp and/or 443/tcp ?

- All the information resources that are listed in an IRD with
  a given URI?

What do you think?

Thanks
Sebastian

---

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:36:49 -0400

Hi Sebastian,

Great question. My first reaction, motivated by your listing, using an
analogy based approach, is that an ALTO Service Provider provides a web
site, with interlinked "pages".

Richard
On Jul 18, 2013 3:18 PM, "Sebastian Kiesel" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto
>

---

From: Sebastian Kiesel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 21:42:56 +0200

Hi Richard,

> site, with interlinked "pages".

So this would close to option 3 ?!  This is also my feeling, maybe to
write it down more precise:

"An ALTO Server is an IRD with a given URI, plus all the information
resources listed therein"

That would answer all questions whether an ALTO server may have two IRDs :)

Thanks,
Sebastian