Subject: Re: [alto] alto Digest, Vol 57, Issue 19

From: Wendy Roome <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 13:21:33 -0400

Here's another take on that -- and a reason why an ALTO service provider
would need multiple Network Maps.

I've long felt that a Network Map would have a varied level of detail:
detailed fine-grained PIDs near the client, coarser-grained as you get
farther away.  For example, an ISP that covers USA might have different
network maps for eastern & western US clients. The Eastern one would have
100 PIDs for the east, and 10 PIDs for the west. The western map would
reverse that.

The ISP would run two different ALTO servers, one with the eastern map and
one with the western map, and would tune ALTO discovery to return the
server for the client's region. The result is that the discovered ALTO
server has only one map, but different customers discover different
servers.

An advanced client that needs both network maps would have to "discover"
both ALTO servers via some other mechanism.

	- Wendy Roome

On 07/12/2013 11:32, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Having two separate servers would require two separate entry-points into
>the alto server discovery.  Then the client has to pick a server at
>discovery time.  This implies that ALTO server discovery has to find
>multiple servers for a client, which I'm not sure it is prepared to handle
>(and it was hard enough as it was).
>

---

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 14:11:27 -0400

Hi Wendy,

Thanks a lot for your always great insight. Your example is nice! I agree
with you that supporting multiple topologies has many use cases, and feel
that it is a key issue that ALTO will need to systematically support. For
the example you give, will a single server, which provides multiple
topologies, be easier to manage, than 3 servers? Push your example to the
limit. Consider the deployment of one topology for each US state. Then we
will have a lot more topologies. I am not sure if we want to say that IRD
is dynamically customized.

Richard

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Wendy Roome <[email-masked]>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto
>

---

From: Richard Alimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 13:48:25 -0700

If an ALTO Service Provider wishes to construct their deployment this way,
they certainly can.  An ALTO Client could either discover a different ALTO
Server for each region, or all ALTO Clients could discover the same ALTO
Server and the ALTO Server can use geo-location to return it a different
IRD.  It's up to the service provider.