Subject: [alto] Updated alto-protocol -18

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:48:57 -0400

Dear all,

We have submitted a revised version of the alto-protocol. We believe that
the revised version has addressed all remaining issues discussed at last
IETF.

Below is a high-level summary of the changes. A link of the detailed diff
is:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-protocol-18

Any feedback will be appreciated so that we can move to the next step
quickly.

Thanks!

Richard Y., Richard A., and Reinaldo

-----------------------------
Summary of changes:

- Restructured information resources so that they all have the same format.
In particular, we introduced derived type (Sec. 8.2) of ALTO server
responses (Sec. 8.4) to better encode this uniformity.

- Added sentences (e.g., Sec. 4.1.2) to convey the single-switch
abstraction.

- Wording changes to improve reading.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-alto-protocol-18.txt
To: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>, Richard Alimi <[email-masked]>,
Reinaldo Penno <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-alto-protocol-18.txt
has been successfully submitted by Richard Alimi and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-ietf-alto-protocol
Revision:        18
Title:           ALTO Protocol
Creation date:   2013-09-12
Group:           alto
Number of pages: 85
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-18.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-protocol
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-18
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-protocol-18

Abstract:
   Applications using the Internet already have access to some topology
   information of Internet Service Provider (ISP) networks.  For
   example, views to Internet routing tables at looking glass servers
   are available and can be practically downloaded to many network
   application clients.  What is missing is knowledge of the underlying
   network topologies from the point of view of ISPs.  In other words,
   what an ISP prefers in terms of traffic optimization -- and a way to
   distribute it.

   The Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Service provides
   network information (e.g., basic network location structure and
   preferences of network paths) with the goal of modifying network
   resource consumption patterns while maintaining or improving
   application performance.  The basic information of ALTO is based on
   abstract maps of a network.  These maps provide a simplified view,
   yet enough information about a network for applications to
   effectively utilize them.  Additional services are built on top of
   the maps.

   This document describes a protocol implementing the ALTO Service.
   Although the ALTO Service would primarily be provided by ISPs, other
   entities such as content service providers could also operate an ALTO
   Service.  Applications that could use this service are those that
   have a choice to which end points to connect.  Examples of such
   applications are peer-to-peer (P2P) and content delivery networks.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat