Subject: [alto] Stephen Farrell's Block on charter-ietf-alto-03-01: (with BLOCK)

From: "Stephen Farrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 05:19:50 -0700

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-alto-03-01: Block

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-alto/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
BLOCK:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

A pretty temporary BLOCK I hope, just to check the state of
play and most likely to be cleared on the call...

Would it not be worthwhile noting that specific handling of
privacy and information leakage issues should be considered
by the WG? If so I guess some text should be easy to arrive
at. If not, why not?

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 07:36:19 -0500

Stephen: Hello, and thanks for your time on the charter!  More inline.

Privacy concerns are detailed towards the end of the charter text.
Please see the third bullet list above the Milestones section.  It
says,

    - Can a client get that information without excessive privacy
      concerns?  Extensions defining new endpoint properties should
      focus on exposing attributes of endpoints that are related to the
      goals of ALTO -- optimization of application-layer traffic -- as
      opposed to more general properties of endpoints. Privacy aspects
      of new endpoint properties will in any case be evaluated to the
      guidelines provided in the IANA considerations and Security
      Considerations of the ALTO protocol specification (RFC-to-be,
      sections 14.3 and 15.4 at IESG review time).

We would be happy to modify the above text if it does not convey the
semantic you are looking for.  Please advise.

Thank you,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60563 (USA)
Email: vkg@{bell-labs.com,acm.org} / [email-masked]
Web: http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/  | Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 13:37:09 +0100

Hiya,

Apologies, I scanned it too quickly. I'll make this
a comment.

If you did s/privacy/privacy and information leakage/
in that paragraph, that'd be lovely. (What whatever
wordsmithing would be needed.)

Cheers,
S.

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 07:44:51 -0500

> wordsmithing would be needed.)

Perfect; sounds good.

Thanks for closing the issue expeditiously!

Cheers,

- vijay