Subject: [alto] RFC 7285 on Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Protocol

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 12:28:18 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7285

        Title:      Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Protocol 
        Author:     R. Alimi, Ed.,
                    R. Penno, Ed.,
                    Y. Yang, Ed.,
                    S. Kiesel, 
                    S. Previdi,
                    W. Roome, 
                    S. Shalunov, 
                    R. Woundy
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      91
        Characters: 194499
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-alto-protocol-27.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7285.txt

Applications using the Internet already have access to some topology
information of Internet Service Provider (ISP) networks.  For
example, views to Internet routing tables at Looking Glass servers
are available and can be practically downloaded to many network
application clients.  What is missing is knowledge of the underlying
network topologies from the point of view of ISPs.  In other words,
what an ISP prefers in terms of traffic optimization -- and a way to
distribute it.

The Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) services defined in
this document provide network information (e.g., basic network
location structure and preferences of network paths) with the goal of
modifying network resource consumption patterns while maintaining or
improving application performance.  The basic information of ALTO is
based on abstract maps of a network.  These maps provide a simplified
view, yet enough information about a network for applications to
effectively utilize them.  Additional services are built on top of
the maps.

This document describes a protocol implementing the ALTO services.
Although the ALTO services would primarily be provided by ISPs, other
entities, such as content service providers, could also provide ALTO
services.  Applications that could use the ALTO services are those
that have a choice to which end points to connect.  Examples of such
applications are peer-to-peer (P2P) and content delivery networks.

This document is a product of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC