Subject: [alto] Building ALTO maps from public data

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 15:18:13 -0500

Folks: Some of you may be interested in the following paper on how to
build ALTO maps from public data:

Making historical connections: Building Application Layer Traffic
Optimization (ALTO) network and cost maps from public broadband data
    Vijay K. Gurbani, David Goergen, Radu State and Thomas Engel

Abstract: The Application Traffic Layer Optimization (ALTO) protocol
allows network service providers (NSP) to make available a pair of maps
to applications such that the applications can intelligently (compared
to randomly) connect to a desired resource. The network map aggregates
the service provider network into provider defined identifiers (PID)
and the cost map provides a pair-wise link cost between each PID.
Clearly, a NSP has an authoritative view of its network and is able to
provide an ALTO server that distributes such maps. However, ALTO also
envisions third-parties as being able to provide such maps. In this
paper, we demonstrate how a third-party ALTO server can provide maps
by mining public information. Specifically, we build our maps from the
United States Federal Communications Commission public broadband data
set, which contains an expressive (multi-tier wireline broadband
measurements) and rich (measurements for specific application uses)
dataset. In all, we examined over 1 billion records spread over 90
GBytes as part of our analysis. We borrow concepts from financial
engineering and social network analysis to show how network topology
and cost maps can be created, and furthermore, how peer-to-peer systems
can insulate themselves from going dark by choosing supernodes
effectively from mining historical data.

Until the paper is available in the IEEE archives, email me if you'd
like a copy.

Cheers,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60563 (USA)
Email: vkg@{bell-labs.com,acm.org} / [email-masked]
Web: http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/  | Calendar: http://goo.gl/x3Ogq