Subject: [alto] Incremental updates transport using SSE?

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 00:32:56 -0400

Dear all,

Given the potential progress in incremental update messaging format (e.g.,
merge-patch or tree-replace), it is time to consider the next item:
transport. In particular, we want decoupling of update message format from
transport: the payload can be carried by not only HTTP Patch, but other
methods, say client pull using HTTP POST, or SSE.

In particular, consider a design where an ALTO server pushes incremental
updates to an ALTO client using SSE. How about the following straw-man
mapping design, for client subscription and server push content indication:

event name: ALTO resource-id

id:
  if initial resource (full content), tag as full alto resource
  if new-tag_old-tag

data: {
data: "Content-Type": "application/merge-patch+json" | rfc6902 patch
data: "Content":
data: {
data: <op object here, need escape to avoid ambiguity, i.e., no extra
\ndata:>
data: }
data: }\n\n

Make sense, by SSE experts?

Richard