Subject: [alto] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-shi-alto-yang-json-00.txt

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:38:30 -0400

Hi all,

Related with the previous email. This document looks at not only ALTO but
other protocols that use JSON objects in message body. We look at if one
may use YANG to specify it (note, only the message body). It turns out ALTO
JSON objects cannot be generated from a YANG specification. The main issue,
as already discussed in some previous email messages appeared in both
ALTO/netmod, is key-value store.

Any comments are appreciated, again!

Richard

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-shi-alto-yang-json-00.txt
To: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>, Xiao Shi <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-shi-alto-yang-json-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Xiao Shi and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-shi-alto-yang-json
Revision:       00
Title:          Modeling JSON Messages Using YANG
Document date:  2014-10-27
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          23
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shi-alto-yang-json-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-shi-alto-yang-json/
Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-shi-alto-yang-json-00

Abstract:
   JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) has been a popular choice as the
   message encoding for many network protocols.  Meanwhile, there are
   broad interests in the networking community to use the YANG data
   modeling language [RFC6020] to define data store and protocol
   messages, so that one can use YANG related tools such as the
   OpenDayLight Controller.  Although YANG itself is XML based, there
   have been efforts to model JSON content using YANG
   [draft-ietf-netmod-yang-json-01]

   This document explores the conditions under which the messages of a
   JSON based protocol can have a syntactically equivalent and hence
   interoperable YANG model.  In particular, this document shows that
   any JSON protocol message with stand-alone non-object JSON values,
   certain JSON arrays of elements of mixed types, or non-keyword keys
   in key-value pairs cannot have a syntactically equivalent YANG model.
   It also applies these conditions to the ALTO and CDNi protocol
   messages as examples.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

-- 
Richard