Subject: [alto] Progress on CDNI FCI Draft

From: Jensen Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 09:30:36 -0400

Hi authors of  draft-ietf-cdni-request-routing-alto,

Do we have any updates on the CDNI FCI document since IETF 104? Considering
the CDNI FCI is an important use case of ALTO and a potential use case of
the unified properties, I would like to resume the discussion and make this
work move forward.

I have the following questions to the current CDNI FCI document:

1. According to the discussion we did in IETF 104, the design of the
original CDNI FCI encoding in RFC8006/8008 is not an object-map. So it does
not match the Map service design in the ALTO framework. Do we still want to
reuse the encoding, or design new encodings to match the ALTO Map service
framework?
2. Do we strongly require a more general query service for CDNI FCI? And
what kind of queries are really required? Could we have some use cases to
motivate the requirements?

I would like to engage in the discussion and the document revision
if possible. I am looking forward to receiving the feedback from coauthors
and other WG members.

Thanks,
Jensen

---

From: Jan Seedorf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 12:24:25 +0200

Dear Jensen,

it is too late for such drastic design changes. What has long been 
agreed in the CDNI WG is that RFC8006/8008 define the JSON format for 
CDNI which suit the CDNI requirements. These had been discussed in CDNI 
for many years at many meetings. So that is fixed. What we need to do in 
ALTO is design an ALTO-based transport for these JSON objects, i.e. 
fefining a new ALTO service for the JSON objects specified in RFC8006/8008.

  - Jan

On 03.07.19 15:30, Jensen Zhang wrote:
> Do we have any updates on the CDNI FCI document since IETF 104? 
> Considering the CDNI FCI is an important use case of ALTO and a 
> potential use case of the unified properties, I would like to resume 
> the discussion and make this work move forward.
>
> original CDNI FCI encoding in RFC8006/8008 is not an object-map. So it 
> does not match the Map service design in the ALTO framework. Do we 
> still want to reuse the encoding, or design new encodings to match the 
> ALTO Map service framework?
> 2. Do we strongly require a more general query service for CDNI FCI? 
> And what kind of queries are really required? Could we have some use 
> cases to motivate the requirements?
>
> if possible. I am looking forward to receiving the feedback from 
> coauthors and other WG members.
>
> Thanks,
> Jensen