Subject: [alto] I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 16:03:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Performance Cost Metrics
        Authors         : Qin Wu
                          Y. Richard Yang
                          Young Lee
                          Dhruv Dhody
                          Sabine Randriamasy
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-07.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2019-07-08

Abstract:
   Cost metric is a basic concept in Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization (ALTO), and is used in basic services including both the
   cost map service and the endpoint cost service.

   Different applications may use different cost metrics, but the ALTO
   base protocol documents only one single cost metric, i.e., the
   generic "routingcost" metric; see Sec. 14.2 of ALTO base
   specification [RFC7285].  Hence, if the resource consumer of an
   application prefers a resource provider that offers low-delay
   delivery to the resource consumer, the base protocol does not define
   the cost metric to be used.

   ALTO cost metrics can be generic metrics and this document focuses on
   network performance metrics, including network delay, jitter, packet
   loss, hop count, and bandwidth.  These metrics can be derived and
   aggregated from routing protocols with different granularity and
   scope, such as BGP-LS, OSPF-TE and ISIS-TE, or from end-to-end
   traffic management tools.  These metrics may then be exposed by an
   ALTO Server to allow applications to determine "where" to connect
   based on network performance criteria.  Additional cost metrics may
   be documented in other documents.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-07
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/