Subject: [alto] I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2019 07:13:03 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Extension: Path Vector
        Authors         : Kai Gao
                          Young Lee
                          Sabine Randriamasy
                          Y. Richard Yang
                          Jingxuan Jensen Zhang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-09.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2019-11-03

Abstract:
   This document defines an ALTO extension that allows an ALTO
   information resource to provide not only preferences but also
   correlations of the paths between different PIDs or endpoints.  The
   extended information, including aggregations of network components on
   the paths and their properties, can be used to improve the robustness
   and performance for applications in some new usage scenarios, such as
   high-speed data transfers and traffic optimization using in-network
   storage and computation.

   This document reuses the mechanisms of the ALTO base protocol and the
   Unified Property extension, such as Information Resource Directory
   (IRD) capabilities and entity domains, to negotiate and exchange path
   correlation information.  Meanwhile, it uses an extended compound
   message to fully represent the path correlation information, for
   better server scalability and message modularity.  Specifically, the
   extension 1) introduces abstract network element (ANE) as an
   abstraction for an aggregation of network components and encodes a
   network path as a "path vector", i.e., an array of ANEs traversed
   from the source to the destination, 2) encodes properties of abstract
   network elements in a unified property map, and 3) encapsulates the
   two types of information in a multipart message.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-path-vector/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-09
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-09

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-09

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/