Subject: [alto] I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-18.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 14:51:06 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Incremental Updates Using Server-Sent Events (SSE)
        Authors         : Wendy Roome
                          Y. Richard Yang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-18.txt
	Pages           : 54
	Date            : 2020-01-23

Abstract:
   The Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) [RFC7285] protocol
   provides network related information, called network information
   resources, to client applications so that clients can make informed
   decisions in utilizing network resources.  For example, an ALTO
   server can provide network and cost maps so that an ALTO client can
   use the maps to determine the costs between network endpoints when
   choosing communicating endpoints.

   However, the ALTO protocol does not define a mechanism to allow an
   ALTO client to obtain updates to the information resources, other
   than by periodically re-fetching them.  Because some information
   resources (e.g., the aforementioned maps) may be large (potentially
   tens of megabytes), and because only parts of the information
   resources may change frequently (e.g., only some entries in a cost
   map), complete re-fetching can be extremely inefficient.

   This document presents a mechanism to allow an ALTO server to push
   updates to ALTO clients, to achieve two benefits: (1) updates can be
   immediate, in that the ALTO server can send updates as soon as they
   are available; and (2) updates can be incremental, in that if only a
   small section of an information resource changes, the ALTO server can
   send just the changes.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-18
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-18

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-incr-update-sse-18

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 18:00:33 -0500

Dear ALTO group,

Thanks to the wonderful guidance and feedback from many, in particular, our
chair, Luis, and others, we have made one pass of the draft and are pretty
happy about the document. Jensen will send a summary of changes shortly.
Although it is past the last call, if you do see any issues or have any
suggestions on edit, we, of course, welcome them.

Cheers,
Richard

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 5:51 PM <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto
>

-- 
-- 
 =====================================
| Y. Richard Yang <[email-masked]>   |
| Professor of Computer Science       |
| http://www.cs.yale.edu/~yry/        |
 =====================================

---

From: Jensen Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 18:34:50 -0500

Dear Vijay, Jan and ALTO WG,

After some good discussions with Richard, we worked together and finished
the latest revision (-18) of the SSE document. The revision addresses
issues from Vijay's and my previous feedbacks [1][2] with updates as listed
below.

- Clarified terminologies
  - Defined Substeam-ID and Data-ID in Section 3 before they are first used
in Section 6
  - Updated section 6.1 and section 6.2 to make the format of data type
SubstreamID clear
- Extended examples
  - Added a new example to illustrate how SSE provides updates for the ALTO
resource returning a multipart response
- Updated recommendations in the consideration section
  - Renamed Section 10.1 to "Considerations for SSE Text Formatting and
Processing" and moved it to the end of Section 10
  - According to Vijay's comment, rewrote the considerations for SSE text
formatting and processing from both viewpoints of the client and the server
- Fixed nits and accepted rewording suggestions from WG reviews

As Richard suggested, I was added as a contributor to the latest revision.
Thanks, Richard!

We would like to say the current SSE document is ready to go. If you have
any suggestions, please feel free to tell us. Any feedback will be welcomed.

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/alto/-6AhxLa8o409o2k2gv5fXd9-6g4
[2] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/alto/C9_tS44bz7kq84Z3cpZZkMeUDFc

Cheers,
Jensen

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 6:00 PM Y. Richard Yang <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dear ALTO group,
>
> Thanks to the wonderful guidance and feedback from many, in particular,
> our chair, Luis, and others, we have made one pass of the draft and are
> pretty happy about the document. Jensen will send a summary of changes
> shortly. Although it is past the last call, if you do see any issues or
> have any suggestions on edit, we, of course, welcome them.
>
> Cheers,
> Richard
>

---

From: Vijay Gurbani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 09:32:46 -0600

Dear Jensen and Richard: Very well.  I will look at the modifications and
start the roll out next week to move the work ahead.
Thank you for attending to this.
Cheers,
- vijay

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 5:35 PM Jensen Zhang <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>   - Defined Substeam-ID and Data-ID in Section 3 before they are first
> used in Section 6
>   - Added a new example to illustrate how SSE provides updates for the
> ALTO resource returning a multipart response