Subject: [alto] I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2020 13:39:00 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Extension: Path Vector
        Authors         : Kai Gao
                          Young Lee
                          Sabine Randriamasy
                          Yang Richard Yang
                          Jingxuan Jensen Zhang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-12.txt
	Pages           : 46
	Date            : 2020-11-02

Abstract:
   This document is an extension to the base Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization protocol [RFC7285].  While the current ALTO Cost
   Services only allow applications to obtain numerical/ordinal cost
   values on an end-to-end path defined by its source and destination,
   the present extension enables the provision of abstracted information
   on particular Abstract Network Elements on the path.  These Abstract
   Network Elements, or simply Elements, are components of the network
   which handle data packets, and their properties may have an impact on
   the end-to-end performance of the applications' traffic.  Examples of
   such Elements include physical devices such as routers, cables and
   interfaces, and aggregations of devices such as subnetworks and data
   centers.  Such information is useful for applications whose
   performance is impacted by particular Abstract Network Elements they
   traverse or by their properties.  Applications having the choice
   among several connection paths may use this information to select
   paths accordingly and improve their performance.  In particular, they
   may infer that several paths share common links and prevent traffic
   bottlenecks by avoiding such paths.  This document introduces a new
   cost type called Path Vector.  A Path Vector is an array of entities
   that each identifies an Abstract Network Element (ANE).  Each ANE is
   associated with a set of properties.  ANE properties are conveyed by
   an ALTO information resource called "Property Map", that can be
   packed together with the Path Vectors in a multipart response.  They
   can also be obtained via a separate ALTO request to a Property Map.
   An ALTO Property Map is an extension to the ALTO protocol, that is
   specified in another document entitled "Unified Properties for the
   ALTO Protocol" [I-D.ietf-alto-unified-props-new].

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-path-vector/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-12.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-path-vector-12

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/