Subject: [alto] ALTO recharter update: ALTO services in multi-domain settings

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 16:12:27 -0500

Dear ALTOers,

One item which we discussed this morning during our weekly meeting is ALTO
extension to multi-domain settings. Please see attached for the deck of
slides that we used.

At a high level, it tried to extend ALTO into a multi-domain setting for
one of the most basic ALTO services --- endpoint cost services. One item
which was raised, but not included in the slides is to make clear the use
cases, i.e., how the multiple-domain information is used. We sure will
update soon, before and during the WG meeting. Any questions and/or
comments are highly welcome.

Richard

---

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 19:10:18 -0500

Dear ALTOers,

Please see attached an updated version of the slides intended to contribute
to the multidomain item. The slides are team efforts. Any feedback,
comments, suggestions are highly welcome. We see that alternative designs
such as architectures are feasible as well, but we want to post the initial
design to make clear the problem and feasibility.

Thanks!
Richard

---

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 15:14:29 -0500

Addressing some comments I received and following the same format as Sabine
did, I post the paragraph below:

Extension of ALTO services to support multi-domain settings. The current
ALTO framework focuses on providing network information from a single ALTO
server for a single network (administrative domain), but the network
devices traversed by a flow can be managed by multiple networks not in the
same domain. The working group will investigate and extend the ALTO
framework to (1) enumerate the issues of ALTO services involving network
paths spanning multiple domains with multiple ALTO servers, and (2)
introduce capabilities to query ALTO services for the settings. The working
group should specify complete ALTO multi-domain services, by using existing
services whenever possible. The working group should consider realistic
complexities including incremental deployment, dynamicity, core security
issues including access control, authorization (e.g., an ALTO server
provides information for a network that the server has no authorization),
and privacy protection in multi-domain settings.

Additional info will be discussed in the slides to be discussed in the
weekly meeting tomorrow and then during the meeting later this week.

Any comments are highly welcome.

Richard

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 7:10 PM Y. Richard Yang <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dear ALTOers,
>
> Please see attached an updated version of the slides intended to
> contribute to the multidomain item. The slides are team efforts. Any
> feedback, comments, suggestions are highly welcome. We see that alternative
> designs such as architectures are feasible as well, but we want to post the
> initial design to make clear the problem and feasibility.
>
> Thanks!
> Richard
>
>> One item which we discussed this morning during our weekly meeting is
>> ALTO extension to multi-domain settings. Please see attached for the deck
>> of slides that we used.
>>

-- 
-- 
 =====================================
| Y. Richard Yang <[email-masked]>   |
| Professor of Computer Science       |
| http://www.cs.yale.edu/~yry/        |
 =====================================