Subject: [alto] Shepherd review of unified-props (draft)

From: Vijay Gurbani <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 17:47:29 -0600

All: I have started the shepherd review of unified-props.  The review is
below.

There are places where I am still waiting for some action to happen, and
these are marked by (***).  I have still to review this document and send a
chair review to the list.  I plan to do this after IETF 109.

In the meantime, please go through the draft shepherd writeup and let me
know if I have erred anywhere.

Thanks.

- vijay
--------
Shepherd writeup for draft-ietf-alto-unified-props-new-13

1. Summary.
The document shepherd is Vijay K. Gurbani, and the responsible area
director is
Martin Duke.

The document is a Standards Track document, targeted as a Proposed Standard.
The WG has chosen the requested publication type since this draft extends
the
base ALTO protocol in a normative manner.  Specifically, the document seeks
to
extend the base ALTO protocol (RFC 7285) by generalizing certain properties
attached to ALTO endpoints.

2. Review and consensus.
The document has a long history in the ALTO WG, having first made its
appearance
as an individual draft in March 2017, and was formally adopted as a WG item
in
April 2017 [1].  It is an important draft as two other WG drafts depend on
the
extensions defined in it.

A WGLC was issued for the draft in July 2020 [2].  Two reviewers were
identified
that provided a detailed WGLC review [3,4].

The draft has broad consensus across the WG, no specific shortcomings have
been
identified with the current version of the draft.  Over the years that the
draft
has been active in the WG, it has been subject to revisions based on the WG
expectations.  At least three implementations of unified-props are known.
The
first implementation was by one of the authors (Wendy Roome), corresponding
to
an older version of the draft.  A WG member (not a co-author) has
implemented
unified-props as well (details on the exact version implemented are not
known).
And finally, a small group of WG members (including one co-author) are
planning
to implement the latest version of the draft as part of an open GitHub
community
[5].

3. Intellectual property
The chair has received IPR declarations from Richard Yang, Sabine
Randriamasy,
Jensen Zhang, Wendy Roome.  (*** Kai Gao still remaining.)  During the
discussion of this I-D in the working group, no IPR issues has been raised
to
the best of my knowledge.

4. Other points
A formal review by the document shepherd is pending. (***)

IDNits reports 4 errors, 6 warnings, and 2 comments.  The errors and
warnings
must be fixed. (***)

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/alto/iz8dIQtwkjZHZYrI8q4JDOyZPPI/
[2] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/alto/jhPmZR4UKpiIwA_tC2s9b9YZ8Mk/
[3] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/alto/YVaCXE7IgXOqWpq-17GV-gbiYwo/
[4] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/alto/EnKuKcnxfeAsg5eBtEbmuFf1cCw/
[5] https://github.com/openalto/sextant