Subject: [alto] IMPORTANT: Suggestions for IETF 109 ALTO meeting

From: Vijay Gurbani <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 09:35:34 -0600

All: We plan to devote most of the time during our IETF 109 slot to charter
discussions.

Approaching the rechartering discussion in the manner we did during IETF
108 was not very conducive as most of the time was spent in 10 - 16 slide
shows. The WG decided that we will hold a virtual interim to make progress
towards 3-5 items that can be chartered under a new charter.  Clearly a
virtual interim did not happen, but work towards winnowing down the charter
items has been going on in the Wed meeting that a subset of the WG
organizes weekly.

The intent of the meeting slot in IETF 109 will be to make progress towards
rechartering, which concretely implies that we have some charter text to
discuss and that this includes 3-5 milestones that the rechartered WG will
decide to pursue.

Writing a charter text is an art form, so my advice to the Wed meeting
group will be to devote the remaining meetings to come up with a candidate
charter text.  It won't be perfect, but it will be a starting point to host
discussions on re-chartering during IETF 109.  Please make sure that you
have 3-5 deliverables in the charter along with reasonable milestones.
Each piece of work that goes into a charter should have some thoughts
behind it, or some candidate drafts.

I don't expect IETF 109 to be the end of charter discussion, but rather it
will be the first formal introduction of the WG to the charter and should
kick off the process to arrive at a charter that has consensus of all
relevant parties involved.

Please let Jan and me know if there are any questions.

Thanks,

- vijay

---

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 15:04:21 -0500

Hi Vijay, Jan,

Wonderful suggestion and organization!

As a regular attendee of the Wed (lately it changed to Tuesday as well)
meetings, I agree that the meetings members should focus on making progress
on the charter text and . We will send more updates soon.

Thanks again!

Richard

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 10:36 AM Vijay Gurbani <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> All: We plan to devote most of the time during our IETF 109 slot to
> charter discussions.
>
> The intent of the meeting slot in IETF 109 will be to make progress
> towards rechartering, which concretely implies that we have some charter
> text to discuss and that this includes 3-5 milestones that the rechartered
> WG will decide to pursue.
>
> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto
>
-- 
Richard