Subject: [alto] New wikipedia page

From: Martin Duke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 11:46:28 -0700

Hello ALTO,

When reviewing ALTO documents I find myself constantly re-reading large
sections of RFC 7285. To stop repeating this step, I cleaned up my notes
and made a Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALTO_(protocol)

While I think it's a mistake to put immature internet drafts on the wiki
page, please feel free to improve the page, while keeping it relatively
concise.

Thanks
Martin

---

From: "Randriamasy, Sabine (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 18:54:40 +0000

Hello Martin,

Great thanks for this initiative, the page is very informative, synthetic and pleasant to read. With the ALTO WG contributors, we will be more than happy to update it. Before doing so, if you think it makes sense, we plan to draft the potential additions on a wiki page, to ensure WG consensus and approval from the WG chairs and AD. We will proceed with collaborative editing and use the datatracker facilities. And indeed, we aim at keeping it concise and focused on mature work.
Best regards,
Sabine

From: alto <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Martin Duke
Sent: Friday, July 2, 2021 8:46 PM
To: IETF ALTO <[email-masked]>
Subject: [alto] New wikipedia page

Hello ALTO,

When reviewing ALTO documents I find myself constantly re-reading large sections of RFC 7285. To stop repeating this step, I cleaned up my notes and made a Wikipedia page.

While I think it's a mistake to put immature internet drafts on the wiki page, please feel free to improve the page, while keeping it relatively concise.

Thanks
Martin

---

From: Martin Duke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 12:30:37 -0700

This reply makes me realize I may have created confusion with my last email.

The new charter calls for the WG to track certain things, like known
deployments, on a Wiki. This is *not* meant to imply wikipedia; in fact,
this is probably too much information for that.  Instead, it's probably
best to use trac (https://trac.ietf.org/trac/alto/wiki) for internal WG
tracking, though I'm not going to dictate which tool the WG uses.

The wikipedia page I created is totally orthogonal to the new charter. It's
something I created while reviewing the current batch of documents. As with
any other page on Wikipedia, anyone is invited to edit it, but this has
nothing to do with charter deliverables.

Thanks
Martin

On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 11:54 AM Randriamasy, Sabine (Nokia -
FR/Paris-Saclay) <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello Martin,
>
>
>
> Great thanks for this initiative, the page is very informative, synthetic
> and pleasant to read. With the ALTO WG contributors, we will be more than
> happy to update it. Before doing so, if you think it makes sense, we plan
> to draft the potential additions on a wiki page, to ensure WG consensus and
> approval from the WG chairs and AD. We will proceed with collaborative
> editing and use the datatracker facilities. And indeed, we aim at keeping
> it concise and focused on mature work.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sabine
>
>
>
> *From:* alto <[email-masked]> *On Behalf Of *Martin Duke
> *Sent:* Friday, July 2, 2021 8:46 PM
> *To:* IETF ALTO <[email-masked]>
> *Subject:* [alto] New wikipedia page
>
>
>
> Hello ALTO,
>
>
>