Subject: [alto] Protocol Action: 'Content Delivery Network Interconnection (CDNI) Request Routing: CDNI Footprint and Capabilities Advertisement using ALTO' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-alto-cdni-request-routing-alto-22.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 09:57:14 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Content Delivery Network Interconnection (CDNI) Request Routing: CDNI
   Footprint and Capabilities Advertisement using ALTO'
  (draft-ietf-alto-cdni-request-routing-alto-22.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Zaheduzzaman Sarker and Martin Duke.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-cdni-request-routing-alto/

Technical Summary

   The Content Delivery Networks Interconnection (CDNI) framework
   defines a set of protocols to interconnect CDNs, to achieve multiple
   goals such as extending the reach of a given CDN to areas that are
   not covered by that particular CDN.  One component that is needed to
   achieve the goal of CDNI described in CDNI framework is the CDNI
   Request Routing Footprint & Capabilities Advertisement interface
   (FCI).  RFC 8008 defines precisely the semantics of FCI and provides
   guidelines on the FCI protocol, but the exact protocol is explicitly
   outside the scope of that document.  This document defines an FCI
   protocol using the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO)
   protocol, following the guidelines defined in RFC 8008.

Working Group Summary

   The WG process was not contentious.

Document Quality

   There is one known implementation in progress. As with all ALTO extensions,
   there are experiments, but still uncertainty about whether the base protocol
   will see wide deployment. In particular, the CDNI use case is perceived to be
   much more promising than the initial target, peer-to-peer networks.

Personnel

   Vijay K. Gurbani is the document shepherd. Martin Duke is the Area Director.