Subject: [alto] Comments on draft-zhang-alto-oam-yang-01

From: Qiao Xiang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 21:26:06 +0800

Dear all,

The following are some comments on draft-zhang-alto-oam-yang-01:

1. Title: Yang -> YANG

2. Introduction: "The basic propose" -> "The basic purpose"

3. Section 4:  "Table 2: Support configuration for information resource
generation algorithms"
    Later in 4.1: "This document does not define any data model related to
specific implementation, including:
    *  Specific algorithms for ALTO information resource generation."
    And later in 5.3.1., an example of information resource creation
algorithm is given.

   This is confusing. Does the ALTO OAM data model support or not support
algorithm implementation? What are the differences between "configuration
for information resource generation algorithm", "information resource
generation algorithm" and "information resource creation algorithm"?

4. Section 5.3 " For some resource-type, the parameter of the intent
interface MUST also include the a dependency node containing the
resource-id of the dependent ALTO information resources (See Section 9.1.5
of [RFC7285])."

   This is vague. What is "some resource-type"? Is it an information source
that has "uses" attribute? Need to make it clear.

5. Section 5.3   "One categories" -> "One category"
                         "The other categories" -> "The other category"
                         "altorithms" -> "algorithms"

6. Section 5.3 "Except for the ird resource, all the other types of
resource entries have augmented algorithm node."
    -> "an augmented algorithm node"? or "may have an augmented algorithm
node"?

7. Section 5.4   "To use the reactive update, the reactive attribute MUST
be set true. To use the proactive update, the poll-interval attribute MUST
be greater than zero." ...
    "If reactive is false or poll-interval is zero, the ALTO server will
not update the data source."

    What if reactive attribute is set to true, and the poll-interval
attribute is also set to be greater than zero?

8. Section 5.4.1 "Yang" -> "YANG"

9. Section 5.4.2: what is the purpose of defining a Prometheus data source?
What about other time-series database, e.g., InfluxDB?

Best
Qiao
-- 
Qiao Xiang
Professor, Xiamen University

---

From: Jensen Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:34:30 +0800

Hi Qiao,

Thanks for your review. See my quick response inline.

Thanks,
Jensen

> The following are some comments on draft-zhang-alto-oam-yang-01:

Good point.

> algorithm implementation?
>

The data model does not support algorithm implementation. But it allows
people to define API for specific algorithm implementation.

> What are the differences between "configuration for information resource
> generation algorithm", "information resource generation algorithm" and
> "information resource creation algorithm"?
>

We will make the text consistent.

>    This is vague. What is "some resource-type"? Is it an information
> source that has "uses" attribute? Need to make it clear.
>

Good point. Yes, we are talking about the information resource that has
"uses" attribute. Will make it clear.

>     -> "an augmented algorithm node"? or "may have an augmented algorithm

That is a "MUST" statement. Will make it clear.

> attribute is also set to be greater than zero?

It will not append. The "(update-policy)" node is a "choice" node. It means
that either "(reactive)" case or "(proactive)" case can be present. If both
of them are present, the message violates the syntax.

> 9. Section 5.4.2: what is the purpose of defining a Prometheus data
> source? What about other time-series database, e.g., InfluxDB?
>

Thanks for the suggestion. This part is not complete. But this document
will not define data models for all the potential data sources. This
section will only cover examples for some popular data sources based on our
experience. But which one should be put on this section is an open topic so
far.

> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto
>