Subject: [alto] I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-25.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2022 13:26:18 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization WG of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Performance Cost Metrics
        Authors         : Qin Wu
                          Y. Richard Yang
                          Young Lee
                          Dhruv Dhody
                          Sabine Randriamasy
                          Luis Miguel Contreras Murillo
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-25.txt
	Pages           : 38
	Date            : 2022-02-28

Abstract:
   The cost metric is a basic concept in Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization (ALTO), and different applications may use different
   types of cost metrics.  Since the ALTO base protocol (RFC 7285)
   defines only a single cost metric (namely, the generic "routingcost"
   metric), if an application wants to issue a cost map or an endpoint
   cost request in order to identify a resource provider that offers
   better performance metrics (e.g., lower delay or loss rate), the base
   protocol does not define the cost metric to be used.

   This document addresses this issue by extending the specification to
   provide a variety of network performance metrics, including network
   delay, delay variation (a.k.a, jitter), packet loss rate, hop count,
   and bandwidth.

   There are multiple sources (e.g., estimation based on measurements or
   service-level agreement) to derive a performance metric.  This
   document introduces an additional "cost-context" field to the ALTO
   "cost-type" field to convey the source of a performance metric.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-25

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-25

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts