Subject: Re: [ANCP] ANCP MIB and Partition-ID

From: Stefaan DE CNODDER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:35:52 +0200

Hi Bert,

For this very late reply on the mail below.  An ANCP session is managing 
all the access lines that belongs to a particular partition.  Therefore 
partitioning is just a grouping of DSL lines and 1 SNMP agent is 
managing all the partitions.  So there is only need to have 1 instance 
of the MIB in an access node.

regards,
Stefaan

To: <ancp at ietf.org>
Subject: [ANCP] ANCP MIB and Partition-ID
From: "Wijnen, Bert \(Bert\)" <bwijnen at alcatel-lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:43:58 +0100
In-reply-to: <[email-masked]>
List-archive: <http://www1.ietf.org/pipermail/ancp>
List-help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
List-id: Access Node Control Protocol working group mailing list 
<ancp.ietf.org>
List-post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
List-subscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp>, 
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
List-unsubscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp>, 
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
References: <[email-masked]>
Thread-index: AcdmE/T2YouUQo/YQNOxQssnPj/0ZQE4S0xA
Thread-topic: ANCP MIB and Partition-ID

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the ANCP session today I listened to the discussion
about PartionID and the question if it is more than just
a number. There was talk about that possibly they could
be multiple partitions in the same device, maybe even
virtual partitions?

That triggered me to wonder

- will multiple partitions on the same device be supported
   (repersented) by a single SNMP agent or by multiple SNMP
   agents?

- If so, do we need to consider that the particionID becomes
   part of the indexing scheme, so that you implicitly support
   multiple instances of this MIB module

The WG better thinks this through BEFORE the MIB module gets
finalized, because if we find out later (afte rthe MIB document
has been approved), then it can only be changed with incompatible
changes (i.e. re-indexing), and so that means obsoleting most
(if not all) of what we define today.

Bert

_______________________________________________
ANCP mailing list
ANCP at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp

_______________________________________________
ANCP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp