Subject: [ANCP] ANCP applicability to PON

From: "Wojciech Dec (wdec)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:25:27 +0200

Hi Folks,

Given that a few of you have approached me asking what will be the next
steps regarding draft-bitar-wadhwa-ancp-pon-00, it seems useful to
provide an answer (below) to the WG at large.

During the IETF72 WG meeting we ran out of time to hear the comments
regarding the draft, which up to that point ranged from general
questions regarding the common aspects between the proposal and the
use-cases present in the ANCP framework multicast draft, to the
applicability of OMCI in PON for some of the signalling. The conclusion
of the meeting was to continue these discussions on the WG mailing list.

Hence, those of you that have outstanding comments/questions regarding
this draft, or new questions in general, you are now invited to follow
them up on the WG mailing list and the authors.

That said, one earlier conclusion that we did arrive at was a request to
the authors of draft-bitar-wadhwa to attempt to map as far as possible
the presented ANCP interactions to those already described in the ancp
framework draft  and then to present to the WG the result and the
delta(s). Following this the WG would be in a better position to scope
any work required to address the delta(s). The authors are thus invited
to continue with this exercise, in parallel to any discussions that may
be about to happen on the WG mailing list.

Thanks,
Woj.

_______________________________________________
ANCP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp

---

From: "Haag, T" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:59:30 +0200

Hi all

After having a brief review we like to share some thoughts:

First of all we think it is useful and support covering PON systems as
well in ANCP work. But we see some (may be more) issues which need
further work which are not addressed.

In Fig.3 of the draft a segmented ANCP connection is shown:

[1] What about Adjacency? Derived from ANCP principles we expect from
the drawing, that one single ANCP-channel is established between NAS and
OLT 

and another single ANCP connection from the OLT to every connected ONT?
So we have a one to many scenario concerning the ANCP channels.

[2] What does the failure of an ANCP session between OLT and ONT mean
for the ANCP session from the OLT to the NAS?

[3] Are OLT and ONT aware of TCP/IP to be able to establish an ANCP
channel?

[4] Multicast use case seems to be the main use case for this document.
The remaining use cases are addressed briefly only.

How does the addressing scheme look like? From our understanding the
scheme must fit in existing conventions, but how will the translation be
done?

ONT= Slot; OLT = DSLAM?

[5]How will the OAM use case work using two segments on ANCP?

Regards

Thomas Haag

Michael Busser

________________________________

Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von
Wojciech Dec (wdec)
Gesendet: Dienstag, 16. September 2008 13:25
An: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: [ANCP] ANCP applicability to PON

Hi Folks, 

Thanks, 
Woj.