Subject: [ANCP] ANCP messages for Multicast query and report

From: "Aniruddha A (anira)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 23:16:14 +0530

Hi all,

In the ANCP multicast extensions, there has to be a way 
For the NAS to query the AN for the state of active multicast
flows on it.

We propose the following 2 new messages for this purpose:
-  Active-Flow Request 
-  Active-Flow Report

The query from the NAS can be for all flows on the AN or 
flows active on a single port. Message Type 0x92 is used.

Description and message formats:

  Active-Flow Request Message

   The Active Flow Request message is sent by the NAS to the AN to
   request multicast flow status on the AN.  The payload contains the
   following TLVs:

   o  The Active-Flow-Req TLV (0x103)
      A Mandatory TLV.

   o  The Target Type TLV.
      Optional TLV, if present, request is for a single port.

   On receiving the Active Flow Request message, the AN MUST respond
   with the Active Flow Report containing the requested information if
   the Multicast capability has been negotiated.  The format of the
   message is shown below:

      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |        Type (0x88-0C)         |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Vers  |  Sub  |MsgType=0x92   | Res   |        Code           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Partition ID  |            Transaction Identifier             |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |I|      SubMessage Number      |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |     ActiveFlowReq TLV =0x103  |    ActiveFlow-Length          |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |     Target-type-TLV=0x1000    |   Target-TLV-Length           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |            ID type            |   Circuit ID Length           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                                                               |
     ~                            Client-ID                          ~
     |                                                               |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                                 Figure 1

  Active-Flow Report Message

   The Active Flow Report message is sent from the AN to the NAS in
   response to the Active Flow Request message.  Active Flow Report
   message contains information on the requested multicast flows.  The
   report can be for a single port, or all ports depending on the Target
   Type in the request.

   o Single Port Report

   If the Active Flow Request had a specific port (the presence of a
   Target Type TLV), the response has the following format:

      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |        Type (0x88-0C)         |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Vers  |  Sub  |MsgType=0x92    | Res   |        Code          |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Partition ID  |            Transaction Identifier             |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |I|      SubMessage Number      |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | ActiveFlowPortEntryTLV =0x105 |    ActiveFlow-Length          |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |     Target-type-TLV=0x1000    |   Target-TLV-Length           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |            ID type            |   Circuit ID Length           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                                                               |
     ~                            Client-ID                          ~
     |                                                               |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                                 Figure 2

   Followed by the Multicast Flow ID TLVs (0x107), one for each flow on
   the port.  The format of the Flow ID TLV is:

      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |  Mcast Flow ID TLV = 0x107    |S|  Mcast Flow ID-Length       |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | AddrFamily    | EncType       |  Mcast source                 |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | AddrFamily    | EncType       |  Mcast group                  |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                                 Figure 3

   S is the source flag, if set, multicast source address MUST be
   present (SSM).

  o  Report for all ports

   If the Active Flow Request did not specify a specific port (no Target
   Type TLV), the response will have the following format:

      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |        Type (0x88-0C)         |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Vers  |  Sub  |MsgType=0x92   | Res   |        Code           |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | Partition ID  |            Transaction Identifier             |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |I|      SubMessage Number      |           Length              |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |ActiveFlowMcastEntryTLV =0x104 |    ActiveFlow-Length          |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |  Mcast Flow ID TLV = 0x107    |S|   Mcast Flow ID-Length      |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | AddrFamily    | EncType       |  Mcast source                 |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     | AddrFamily    | EncType       |  Mcast group                  |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                                 Figure 4

   Followed by the Target Type TLV.

   A Multicast Entry TLV (0x104) determines the (flow, port), therefore
   it will have a Flow ID TLV and a Target-Type TLV as its sub TLVs, and
   there will be as many Multicast Entry TLVs as the number of flows on 
   the AN.

We have an implementation running with these message types.
--
Regards,
Aniruddha. A
_______________________________________________
ANCP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp

---

From: Maglione Roberta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 16:48:45 +0100

Hi Aniruddha,
        your proposal seems interesting to me, but I have a comment:
section 3.4.3 of the ancp-framework draft defines 3 different types of reporting function:
- report for one Access Port;
- report for one multicast flow;
- a global report for one Access Node.

If my understanding is correct, your proposal addresses 1 and 3, do you plan to extend it to cover also case 2?

Thanks and best regards.
Roberta

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Aniruddha A (anira)
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 6:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ANCP] ANCP messages for Multicast query and report

Hi all,

   o  The Target Type TLV.

                                 Figure 1

   o Single Port Report

                                 Figure 2

                                 Figure 3

  o  Report for all ports

                                 Figure 4

Questo messaggio e i suoi allegati sono indirizzati esclusivamente alle persone indicate. La diffusione, copia o qualsiasi altra azione derivante dalla conoscenza di queste informazioni sono rigorosamente vietate. Qualora abbiate ricevuto questo documento per errore siete cortesemente pregati di darne immediata comunicazione al mittente e di provvedere alla sua distruzione, Grazie.

This e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may contain privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only. Dissemination, copying, printing or use by anybody else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments and advise the sender by return e-mail, Thanks.

---

From: "Aniruddha A (anira)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:18:56 +0530

Hi Roberta,
 
Yes, the current proposal addresses only case 1 and 3. 
I plan to cover case 2 also, I'm working on it.

--
Regards,
Aniruddha. A

-----Original Message-----
From: Maglione Roberta [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:19 PM
To: Aniruddha A (anira); [email-masked]
Subject: RE: ANCP messages for Multicast query and report

Hi Aniruddha,
section 3.4.3 of the ancp-framework draft defines 3 different types of
reporting function:

If my understanding is correct, your proposal addresses 1 and 3, do you
plan to extend it to cover also case 2?

Thanks and best regards.
Roberta

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Aniruddha A (anira)
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 6:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ANCP] ANCP messages for Multicast query and report

Hi all,

   o  The Target Type TLV.

                                 Figure 1

   o Single Port Report

                                 Figure 2

                                 Figure 3

  o  Report for all ports

                                 Figure 4

Questo messaggio e i suoi allegati sono indirizzati esclusivamente alle
persone indicate. La diffusione, copia o qualsiasi altra azione
derivante dalla conoscenza di queste informazioni sono rigorosamente
vietate. Qualora abbiate ricevuto questo documento per errore siete
cortesemente pregati di darne immediata comunicazione al mittente e di
provvedere alla sua distruzione, Grazie.

This e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may contain
privileged information intended for the addressee(s) only.
Dissemination, copying, printing or use by anybody else is unauthorised.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and
any attachments and advise the sender by return e-mail, Thanks.

---

From: Maglione Roberta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:30:40 +0100

Hi Matthew & Woj,
    as the proposed ancp charter includes a separate WG item for Additional Multicast Extensions, in case ancp working group approves Aniruddha's proposal about ANCP messages for Multicast query and report, I was wondering if this work should be included in the ancp protocol draft or  if it should go in a separate section of Additional Multicast Extensions draft.
Thanks
Regards,
Roberta

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Aniruddha A (anira)
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 6:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ANCP] ANCP messages for Multicast query and report

Hi all,

   o  The Target Type TLV.

                                 Figure 1

   o Single Port Report

                                 Figure 2

                                 Figure 3

  o  Report for all ports

                                 Figure 4

---

From: "Wojciech Dec (wdec)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:08:55 +0100

Hi Roberta, 

We'll discuss this at the meeting. Last time round we arrived at the
conclusion that the mcast extensions with which the WG had a good degree
of comfort would be merged into the protocol spec, while the others
progressed in the new id.

Regards,
Woj.

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Maglione Roberta
> Sent: 25 February 2009 10:31
> To: Aniruddha A (anira); [email-masked]'; 
> Wojciech Dec (wdec)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [ANCP] ANCP messages for Multicast query and report
> 
> Hi Matthew & Woj,
>     as the proposed ancp charter includes a separate WG item 
> for Additional Multicast Extensions, in case ancp working 
> group approves Aniruddha's proposal about ANCP messages for 
> Multicast query and report, I was wondering if this work 
> should be included in the ancp protocol draft or  if it 
> should go in a separate section of Additional Multicast 
> Extensions draft.
> Thanks
> Regards,
> Roberta
> 
> 
> In the ANCP multicast extensions, there has to be a way For 
> the NAS to query the AN for the state of active multicast flows on it.
> 
> Questo messaggio e i suoi allegati sono indirizzati 
> esclusivamente alle persone indicate. La diffusione, copia o 
> qualsiasi altra azione derivante dalla conoscenza di queste 
> informazioni sono rigorosamente vietate. Qualora abbiate 
> ricevuto questo documento per errore siete cortesemente 
> pregati di darne immediata comunicazione al mittente e di 
> This e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may 
> contain privileged information intended for the addressee(s) 
> only. Dissemination, copying, printing or use by anybody else 
> is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, 
> please delete this message and any attachments and advise the 
> sender by return e-mail, Thanks.
>