Subject: [ANCP] About ANCP message type

From: Fortune HUANG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:21:51 +0800

Hi all,
 
In figure 11 (or figure 14) in draft-ietf-ancp-protocol-09, I see two
"Message Type" there. What's the difference between the two "Message Type"?

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   | Vers  |  Sub  | Message Type  | Result|        Code           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   | Partition ID  |            Transaction Identifier             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |I|      SubMessage Number      |           Length              |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                             Port                              |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                      Port Session Number                      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                     Event Sequence Number                     |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                                                               |
   +                             Label                             +
   |                                                               |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |x|x|x|x|x|x|x|x| Message Type  |   Tech Type   | Block Length  |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                                                               |
   ~                         Extension Value                       ~
   |                                                               |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 
                                 Figure 11

Regards,
Fortune

---

From: Sidd Aanand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:44:10 -0500

Fortune,

It is my understanding that the inner message type (right after the Label field) is unused (and probably unnecessary). The outer Message Type is used to distinguish between Port Up/Port Down etc.

Thanks,
Sidd

________________________________
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Fortune HUANG
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 8:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ANCP] About ANCP message type

Hi all,

In figure 11 (or figure 14) in draft-ietf-ancp-protocol-09, I see two "Message Type" there. What's the difference between the two "Message Type"?

    0                   1                   2                   3

                                 Figure 11

Regards,
Fortune

---

From: Fortune HUANG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 09:33:57 +0800

Hi Sidd,
 
In that case, I think we should remove the redundant message type.
 
Thanks for your reply!

Regards,
Fortune

  _____  

From: Sidd Aanand [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 10:44 PM
To: Fortune HUANG; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [ANCP] About ANCP message type

Fortune,
 
It is my understanding that the inner message type (right after the Label
field) is unused (and probably unnecessary). The outer Message Type is used
to distinguish between Port Up/Port Down etc.
 
Thanks,
Sidd

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Fortune HUANG
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 8:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ANCP] About ANCP message type

Hi all,

    0                   1                   2                   3
 
                                 Figure 11

Regards,
Fortune