Subject: [ANCP] Can we modify IANA registries set up for GSMPv3?

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:31:34 -0400

This issue may affect other registries, but I realized it when I was looking at 
the reallocation of bits between Result and Code compared with GSMPv3. I'm sure 
it's legitimate to add code points to a registry for an older protocol, but this 
reallocation of bits means that the limits on the possible values change. Can we 
do that (implying that we obsolete GSMPv3 itself), or must we establish new 
parallel registries for ANCP?

There is an intermediate solution where we continue to use GSMPv3 registries but 
segregate the codepoints falling outside the limits for one protocol or the 
other, noting that they apply only to one protocol. Thus in the Result value 
registry we would add a note that any values greater than 15 apply to GSMPv3 
only, while in the Code registry, values greater than 255 apply to ANCP only. 
This sounds like the best solution, though I had to talk myself around to it.

Tom Taylor

---

From: Wojciech Dec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:06:43 +0200

Adding Ralph...

The core issue looks like being that ANCP still rides on the GSMP protocol
code point, even though it is incompatible.
I'm not sure if there is a precedent for a re-branding of a protocol type,
but if that is an option, along with declaring GSMP deprecated, then we
could have an alternative. (Note: Previous searches into finding operational
implementations of GSMP have not found any, but we will never know for sure.
That said, it's highly unlikely that the two will meet.)

-Woj.

On 30/06/2010 15:31, "Tom Taylor" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> ANCP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp